Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2020, 01:29 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkapala View Post
I have a recently purchased (used) 2013 Thor ACE 29.1. There are two 12V cig/power outlets on the dash, with wires attached, but it appears to me that they have never been connected to power. There is a fuse F17 "Power Point" in the RV Custom Products BCC (Battery Control Center) box in the engine compartment. The fuse is OK, and should be the one for those outlets. But it's associated with the P4 accessory connector, which does not have any mating connector or wiring harness. I suspect that this would only be provided if the original owner had ordered a higher-level accessories package, which this coach does not have. So apparently it's possible that even though some items may be there, they were not necessarily ever wired or made to work, depending on the accessories package that the coach was ordered with.

Well I can't be sure since my 2013 ACE Cigar lighter outlets have not blown a fuse.....yet. Looking at the Ford 2012 Stripped Chassis Manual on line (for 2013 Thor coach build).....shows fuse 22 in the Power Distribution Box (in engine bay about center firewall above the rad) is labelled Cigar Lighter (20 Amp Maxi)..... and it may also power the OBD2 connector under the steering column. This a guess because on many Class A coaches Thor wires many items with their folks not Ford. So try it and let us know what you find out. By the way I am attaching a picture of the fuse designation and a picture of how to get into the PDbox.....it can be hard to see where the release tab is (assuming yours is the same as my 30.1).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cigar Lighter Fuse.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	22121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Only One Clip Releases the Lid.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	22122  

Old 01-08-2020, 02:05 AM   #22

Model: A.C.E. 29.1
State: Washington
THOR #17375
Thanks! I've seen that box but I've only been "under the hood" a couple of times, and have not yet checked that one out. Will have to take a look. That makes at least 3 fuse panel locations that I'm aware of, wonder if there are any more?
Old 01-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #23

THOR #17375
That fuse was blown. Replacing it has restored power to those outlets. Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2020, 06:57 PM   #24

THOR #2631
Great, thanks for confirming it was the specified fuse and welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar with the 29.1 layout but my 30.1 coach has actually been relatively trouble free (knock on wood). Best advice as a new owner of a 2013 ACE is check that all recalls are done; don't overload any slides equipped with storage areas (easier on the slide motors etc); always hold the slide control buttons for 5 seconds after full in/out motion stops; don't use the chassis and coach disconnect switches like light switches or the latching relays located inside the BCC (which you already found in engine bay) will likely fail early and they are a pain to replace. That is.....the less you operate the disconnect latch relays the longer they will last; I am usually on shore power except when traveling so I almost always leave both coach and chassis batteries latched on/connected during the travel season. Buy a multimeter and learn how to use it for testing your charging systems and batteries. Inspect and repair all exterior caulking around windows and especially on the roof. I hope you enjoy your new (to you) coach and...... happy camping.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #25

THOR #17375
Hey thanks so much again, and especially for the tip on the online Ford chassis manual, which I also found and downloaded. We purchased the 2013 ACE 29.1 just recently, from a large and long-time local RV dealer. Recall items are all done. It's a one-owner California unit, our first RV, and something we've waited for until now that we're retired. It looks great, and I thought that "everything worked" and was in good nick when we left the dealer's lot. But the things I'm finding are fairly minor, and I want to be able to take care of it myself when possible, so the learning curve is much appreciated. I could take it back and ask them to fix it, but I suspect that I'd be without it for a long time. Also the quality of the repairs would be unknown to me, and I wouldn't be learning anything about doing it myself.

For instance, recent rainstorms here revealed a sealant leak in the roof at one of the skylights. I found that some of the original sealant on that and other places was cracked quite a bit. So I did my online homework and removed the inside liner of the skylight while a few sunny days and ventilation dried everything out. Then I went up top and thoroughly acetone-cleaned ALL of the sealants around all vents, skylights, etc., and then used a quart of white brush-on Flex-Seal liquid rubber to totally coat, fill, and cover the sealants all over the roof. The stuff goes on very nicely and is pretty easy to work with. The roof certainly looks great now, and the Flex-Seal appears to have done a beautiful job on the sealant & TPO roof material, so I'm hoping that it's good.

I've also replaced the front windshield drapes, which had an outside lining that was disintegrating from sun exposure. I ordered direct from Gary Manufacturing here in California. I got perfectly fitting replacements that look great and I think will endure better.

With my electromechanical engineering background I'm pretty adept with most "nuts-n-bolts-n-volts" kind of things, although automotive is not really my area of experience. I have a good Fluke multimeter and of course a super-useful 12V lamp-type test probe. I'll definitely keep all your advice in mind, including about the battery disconnect switches. I found a great Youtube video about those BCC units at this link, which shows all about the latch relays and everything in that box. You're certainly right that replacing that or working on it would be a real pain.

P.S. We are expat Canucks. My wife is from Lethbridge. Maybe we'll see you out on the road sometime!
Old 01-10-2020, 03:28 AM   #26

THOR #2631
I am not familiar with using flex seal repairs on TPO roof material.....Dicor or eterna bond products are more costly, but proven good products. You best keep checking your roof often in the California sun.

The BCC video you posted is one of the best out there I have seen. Well since you are now a California transplanted Canuck......you will probably be missing our balmy -30C (-22F) weekend forecast (not sure if wind chill is in that calculation or not). Oh well maybe time to change from shorts to long pants out at the barbecue about now. Enjoy your travels and coach.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:33 AM   #27

THOR #2631
Oops Washington state......so not very far South of the 49th.....more rain than sun I expect at this time of year; hope that roof repair works for you even more now.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:17 AM   #28

THOR #17375
I think the Flex Seal is going to work out great, but as you suggest I'll be keeping a close eye on it. I hope the fact that I used it on top of the original sealant, which is 99% intact and very strongly attached, will provide a good durable result. It sure looks great, much nicer than the Dicor or Eternabond jobs I've seen on my neighbour's RV and others. Anyway, time will tell. Also it won't be full-time in the California sun. We're "in the process" of moving to the town of Poulsbo on the beautiful Olympic Peninsula in Washington. But at the moment we're just wrapping up 34 years of living in sunny Ventura County in Southern California, hoping to be fully installed in Poulsbo within the next 6 weeks. Believe it or not, there IS such a thing as too much sun and heat! When the cool wetness of Puget Sound becomes too much for us though, we'll be RV "rainbirds", heading back here to California, or anywhere in the sunny south. Just not in summer! Cheers - MK
Old 01-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #29

THOR #17375
Here's a look at the Flex Seal job partly finished. I also posted to another thread where people were discussing Flex Seal.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zy...BVwTiaqQThm1PN
Old 01-10-2020, 09:53 PM   #30

THOR #2631
MK, looks good, but I wonder how the sun, temp changes and traveling will affect the new roof surface? You should post a picture every 6 months and we can see how the flex seal re-do is treating you. I thought it might be good for an emergency repair, until you can do a more permanent one.....but we keep learning new things whenever possible.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:37 PM   #31

THOR #17375
Well I know that it has worked in the short term, and was pretty easy to do. According to the manufacturer ... "The Flex Seal Liquid coating is non-slip, durable, waterproof and breathable. It resists UV degradation, rain, moisture, snow, sun, air, hail, wind, and general natural weathering blocking out moisture, water air, and water. It prevents corrosion and rust, is chemical and mildew resistant, and stops leaks fast." I'll try to remember to take photos once in a while, and keep you posted on how it's working out. For my own sake, I hope it's good!
Old 10-18-2020, 03:26 AM   #32

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Alabama
THOR #20803
Same outlets loose/turn w ease

Following this forum, our 2017 Axis has same issue, BUT the outlets are very loose. Can I “pop” this Jensen Radio cover off and tighten the little suckers?

Tags
12 volt, fuse, vegas