Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2023, 10:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #2474
Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Question No Spare Tire

My 2016 Axis that I purchased Used does not have a spare tire. Did the axis not come with one when new? If I buy one where can it be mounted or stored?
Mel

Old 03-19-2023, 10:47 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
None of them come with spare tires. Do a search here on spare tire, pop some corn...you'll fall asleep reading so many posts about it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:19 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
None of them come with spare tires. Do a search here on spare tire, pop some corn...you'll fall asleep reading so many posts about it.
LOL. Isn't that the truth and now I'll add one more.

We did opt to get a spare for our Axis, not so much with the idea of a DYI change on the road (although having a career dealing with sizable farm equipment DH could do it in pinch), but rather saving the hassle of waiting to get a tire shipped in when we go to some far off place (like Alaska). If we have a spare on board we figure a mobile service could get it mounted without major drama.

If you only need to mount a tire carrier, there are several available that are rear hitch mounted. Check out eTrailer.

We crafted a hitch carrier for our ebikes, which then meant the standard tire carrier wouldn't fit.

We went to the local welding shop with the MH and a drawing of our ideas and discussed our needs. They did a fine job of making a carrier that sits just above the bumper between the back of the rig and the bikes. The tire carrier is made such that it fits into the rear hitch mount and then the bike carrier mounts into it.

Either carrier can be used by itself or the two can mount in tandem together. It wasn't cheap, but between the two it cost us less than if we had bought stock carriers and it suits our situation excellently.

The combo has been from Michigan to New Mexico to the Carolina and New England without a hitch. (sorry just had to say that). We haven't needed the tire, which is fine, but we've gotten plenty of use out of toting the bikes along. No hassling with a toad. Two happy campers are we.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:59 AM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A full size spare fits easily into the rear driver side bin door on a 2018 24.1
I carry ours there. Always clean, always dry, easy to handle. Your freshwater hose will coil nicely inside the rim.
My snatch rope and tie downs, jack and other seldom used items reside under the rim. It's surprising how little room the tire takes up when your stack inside the rim.

I too have a hitch mount spare carrier as a back-up if we ever need it
(One is none)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:26 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Texas
THOR #22781
Have spare mounted on a rim, not that I will change it but to expedite road service assistance.

Carry spare in toad.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:15 PM   #6

Model: VEGAS 27.7
THOR #14226
I took my rear bumper off and welded extension, so the bumper moved out about 1.5".
That allowed me to take a 2"x2" Vertice post. I then took a spare tire carrier adapted it and welded it to the post. This allows me to use a double hitch head in the receiver. I have my Blue Ox in the lower and a fold away storage container in the upper. All of this added 155lbs.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:02 PM   #7

Model: Quantum RS26
THOR #16788
Hitch mounted spare

Here is our set up with spare tire and bike rack. Splitter with extension allows a 2-bike rack to sit behind spare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200227_161344.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	41323  
Old 03-25-2023, 09:31 PM   #8

State: Quebec
THOR #15335
Hello, could you post pictures of bike/spare support.
I'm looking for ideas for a Thor Four winds
Old 03-25-2023, 11:27 PM   #9

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
Before you buy the rim do some checking as the motorhome rim is not the same as the E-350/450 tuck rim, I got the dealer to throw in the rim an tire as a spare when I bought my 2017 Axis and found out when I needed to use the spare the rim did not fit the wheel pattern, not the same an you will have to buy the rim from Ford an its about $360.00, people on this site will tell you a rim from the wrecking yard is the best bet but you will only screw yourself when you try to use it, Go to a Ford dealer with your Vin number an ask them to give you the part number and price of a new rim, all the after market and advice you will get on line is wrong, go to the dealer and get the right rim
Old 03-26-2023, 12:44 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
Before you buy the rim do some checking as the motorhome rim is not the same as the E-350/450 tuck rim, I got the dealer to throw in the rim an tire as a spare when I bought my 2017 Axis and found out when I needed to use the spare the rim did not fit the wheel pattern, not the same an you will have to buy the rim from Ford an its about $360.00, people on this site will tell you a rim from the wrecking yard is the best bet but you will only screw yourself when you try to use it, Go to a Ford dealer with your Vin number an ask them to give you the part number and price of a new rim, all the after market and advice you will get on line is wrong, go to the dealer and get the right rim
Yet many people on this Forum, even in this thread, have used aftermarket rims with no issue other than the clearance issue discussed above.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 12:50 AM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Yet many people on this Forum, even in this thread, have used aftermarket rims with no issue other than the clearance issue discussed above.
yup.
he is wrong about the grey Amazon rim and the junkyard rim.

Usually if you want to know for sure, ask someone who has accomplished the task. I've done both. 100 of us here have done both.

A SALESMAN is the LAST place to place trust. Lord only knows what GM/Dodge/stock room whatsit they 'threw-in'.
AND
I don't know that any recent suggestions of a junkyard rim at a 1:1,000 ratio. The grey amazon wheel is the standard suggestion.

Of course a 1971 rim might not fit. Of course a split rim might not fit. Of course the possibly chevy rim the dealer through in might not fit.
Era for era, ford fits Ford. They fit.

Punchline:
Buy the grey Amazon wheel and mount it on the outside rear dually, thus freeing up a factory wheel to be your 'anywhere' spare.
100's of us have done a variation of this.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:08 PM   #12

Model: Quantum RS26
THOR #16788
Split receiver for spare tire mount and bike rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cladouce View Post
Hello, could you post pictures of bike/spare support.
I'm looking for ideas for a Thor Four winds
Split receiver for spare tire mount and bike rack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200402_175857.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	41345   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	41346