Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2021, 04:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Indiana
THOR #20004
15 degrees burrrrr

Hello, I have a relatively new to me 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1.. On my way south this weekend I will be overnight where temps in the teens will last for 8 hours or so..
Given all the water pipes and water tank/pump are inside the MH and I will be heating it, I don’t see this as a problem. Gray and black tanks don’t concern me much either.
Anyone disagree? Am I missing anything? Thanks..

2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
RodIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:05 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Good luck, and remember to keep your Brass Monkeys indoors!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:08 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Place a hand warmer in the outside shower box.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #4

THOR #20004
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Place a hand warmer in the outside shower box.
Good idea and easy to do..thanks
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Old 12-27-2021, 06:15 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have an Axis 24.1 and in addition to the shower box, the grey and black water discharge pipes could freeze in 15 degrees. Also when you leave in the morning, the temps will probably be well below freezing. Driving at 60-65 creates a tremendous wind chill that will dramatically increase freezing in those pipes.

So, if you can drain the two tanks before leaving do so. If not maybe a couple of handwarmers wrapped with insulation will keep them from freezing. At the very least run a few gallons of hot water down the grey water tank and dump a gallon or so of hot water down the toilet. That will leave hot water in both, which should slow freezing.

Also when you leave in the morning of that freeze, prop up the plywood cover over the fresh water tank, pump and plumbing to let room air keep it from freezing inside, particularly with air in the teens rushing below at 60 mph.

Do you have the 12V heating pads on the tanks? They draw a lot of power so I wouldn't suggest turning them on if you are dry camping. But if at a FHU site, turn them on.

David
Old 12-27-2021, 07:46 PM   #6

THOR #20004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I have an Axis 24.1 and in addition to the shower box, the grey and black water discharge pipes could freeze in 15 degrees. Also when you leave in the morning, the temps will probably be well below freezing. Driving at 60-65 creates a tremendous wind chill that will dramatically increase freezing in those pipes.

So, if you can drain the two tanks before leaving do so. If not maybe a couple of handwarmers wrapped with insulation will keep them from freezing. At the very least run a few gallons of hot water down the grey water tank and dump a gallon or so of hot water down the toilet. That will leave hot water in both, which should slow freezing.

Also when you leave in the morning of that freeze, prop up the plywood cover over the fresh water tank, pump and plumbing to let room air keep it from freezing inside, particularly with air in the teens rushing below at 60 mph.

Do you have the 12V heating pads on the tanks? They draw a lot of power so I wouldn't suggest turning them on if you are dry camping. But if at a FHU site, turn them on.

David
Thanks David
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Old 12-27-2021, 08:44 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
... Also when you leave in the morning, the temps will probably be well below freezing. Driving at 60-65 creates a tremendous wind chill that will dramatically increase freezing in those pipes.
Wind chill isn't felt by inanimate objects, it only applies to people and animals. Objects will not cool beyond ambient temperatures.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:37 PM   #8

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Wind chill isn't felt by inanimate objects, it only applies to people and animals. Objects will not cool beyond ambient temperatures.

Agreed, but they will cool many times faster at 60 mph than at rest. That is the problem.

David
Old 12-27-2021, 10:35 PM   #9

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodIndy View Post
Hello, I have a relatively new to me 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1.. On my way south this weekend I will be overnight where temps in the teens will last for 8 hours or so..
Given all the water pipes and water tank/pump are inside the MH and I will be heating it, I don’t see this as a problem. Gray and black tanks don’t concern me much either.
I think winterizing would be the best but blowing the lines out might work. I wouldn't have anything in the black or gray tank it can freeze because the moving air around the tank will freeze the water quicker, Hot water freezes faster than cold, known as the Mpemba effect. ... The Mpemba effect occurs when two bodies of water with different temperatures are exposed to the same low temperatures surroundings and the hotter water freezes first. If I was going to use the tanks I would use Regular automotive green antifreeze from what I read regular antifreeze is better on seals than the pink stuff and it doesn't freeze like the pink stuff in the +20 degree area and adding water to the pink stuff defeats the purpose of no expansion water expands when it freezes
Old 12-28-2021, 01:48 AM   #10

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Using your furnace should keep the pipes from freezing and pour some rv antifreeze on your black and gray tanks for the valves.

Windchill only applies to bare skin... It can force cold air into places that it normally wouldn't get to but just run your furnace. At least that works in my Miramar.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:02 AM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:
Agreed, but they will cool many times faster at 60 mph than at rest. That is the problem.

David
I am a retired Heat and Frost Insulator, (I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night) so I know a thing or two about keeping piping and tanks from freezing. The ambient air temperature is all a piece of piping, or a tank is exposed too. 20* is 20* to a pvc pipe regardless of whether the wind blows or not.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 03:28 AM   #12

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
I am a retired Heat and Frost Insulator, (I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night) so I know a thing or two about keeping piping and tanks from freezing. The ambient air temperature is all a piece of piping, or a tank is exposed too. 20* is 20* to a pvc pipe regardless of whether the wind blows or not.
And I am a retired engineer.

You and others don’t seem to get that wind blowing over something will cool it down much faster than no wind.

Your skin feels colder in a wind because the wind causes heat to be removed faster than with no wind.

David
Old 12-28-2021, 04:49 AM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:

You and others don’t seem to get that wind blowing over something will cool it down much faster than no wind.

Your skin feels colder in a wind because the wind causes heat to be removed faster than with no wind.

David
You win an engineer: bow: trumps the guys that were trained to keep things hot or cold...
I understand air movement cools things quicker (that's why you blow on a hot cup of coffee.) I am merely trying to point out there is no WIND CHILL on an inanimate object. 20* in a 60 mph wind is still only 20* to a piece of piping
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 06:09 AM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:

David
Wind does cool it quicker (convection) but it doesn't get any colder.

Same principal that wind chill is based on - it "feels" colder due to wind, it is NOT colder.

It can be 36 degrees outside with a windchill of 25 degrees, the water will not freeze and it will go no lower than 36 degrees.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:04 PM   #15

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Wind chill is 30 deg for a 40deg air and 20kt wind--
Wind will remove or add heat faster. A 32 deg ice cube with 40 deg air at 20mph will melt faster. Wind chill effect is felt because we are at 98.6 deg and have a lot more heat to give up. Same 40deg and 20knot wind will chill your body temp as fast as a 30 deg/calm wind.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:16 PM   #16

THOR #20004
Maybe you guys can open a separate thread to continue your pissing contest regarding wind chill.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Old 12-29-2021, 06:34 PM   #17

THOR #1249
If anyone worded at Farmers Ins. they would "know a thing or two."
Old 12-29-2021, 07:01 PM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
If anyone worded at Farmers Ins. they would "know a thing or two."
"worded"
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:39 PM   #19

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodIndy View Post
Where is South? South Indianapolis or Miami, Florida? You have to allow for unpredictability of the weather based where you are going, i.e. it may last longer than 8 hours or it may not hot the teens at all.

I have been in the teens but we were in the RV, furnace were run running, water being used etc. By 11:00 am the next morning it was above freezing. That temp drop came as a surprise to us as we were camping and draining the tanks was not an option.

But in your case, based on assumptions of where you are really going, I would drain and winterized in full until the threat of temps in the teens has passed.

In fact, I will winterize again for the 2nd time this winter because temps are expected to hit 22* in Dallas Saturday night. Takes me 45 min to do so I will likely winterize on Friday or early Sat morning. It was 80* a few days ago

What ever you do, I hope you report back with what you decided and the results of what actually happened.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:46 PM   #20

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I think winterizing would be the best but blowing the lines out might work. I wouldn't have anything in the black or gray tank it can freeze because the moving air around the tank will freeze the water quicker, Hot water freezes faster than cold, known as the Mpemba effect. ... The Mpemba effect occurs when two bodies of water with different temperatures are exposed to the same low temperatures surroundings and the hotter water freezes first. If I was going to use the tanks I would use Regular automotive green antifreeze from what I read regular antifreeze is better on seals than the pink stuff and it doesn't freeze like the pink stuff in the +20 degree area and adding water to the pink stuff defeats the purpose of no expansion water expands when it freezes
You started off good You lost me with all of the antifreeze stuff.

I am with your primary point though. Temps are expected to be in teens, winterize BEFORE you leave.
Drain everything and simply blow it out. Make the trip, and add water after the freeze.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote