Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2021, 03:04 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #22500
Exclamation 2021 Thor Motor Coach GEMINI Or Compass

Has anyone purchased this vehicles and how is the awd. Do you need a awd or just 2wd. Gas mileage good or should get diesel.
Thanks

Old 03-16-2021, 01:18 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #17688
RVCamper, welcome to the forum!

I was asking the same questions just two months ago!

First, Post in the B/B+ forum, that's where most Compass/Gemini chat goes on.

Second, What's important to you? We did test drives in both and my wife and I agreed on the used 2020 TW that we ended up purchasing. We liked the diesel and the rig, though, and perhaps because, it was used, it just felt "better" We've not been disappointed.
Everyone who's driven the AWD Transit as a van thinks it's great. Most of those folks seem to drive in crappy conditions, like dirt roads, deep snow, and #vanlife "stuff". Not many folks have reported on driving an AWD Transit motorhome in similar ugly conditions. It will be different with the big box on the back!
I admit AWD is very appealing (the EcoBoost gas engine is meh), but in my case, waiting an indeterminate time for a 2021, paying the additional cash for a new unit and the thought of having to deal with the inevitable new rig issues and the availability of a 2020 23TW from a dealer I liked and respected won us over.
Now, the other safety improvements in the 2021 are worthwhile, but it was not enough to make us wait.
The rest of the rig is "mostly" the same. One less TV in the 2020, the 2021 does not have lights over the doors for entry at night, the 2021 does have the "new" rapid camp system (from Australia) while the older version from Lippert is a little different and perhaps lacking some "user-friendliness" of the new one. The diesel rig uses a LP generator and they are a little less prone to issues from storage and the exhaust does not smell as bad; the newer rig has a gas version of the same generator.

There are very few differences after that. Decide what's important, how close is the dealer you'd purchase from (and how well do you like them) and then go and see what makes sense for you and yours.

Ask more questions and you'll get more answers!