Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2022, 01:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
2022 Axis mini review

Just picked up a 2022 Axis 24.1 and wanted to give a short imprecise review.

So far, every system is working. No leaks, no dead circuits, no issues. The dealer said their check found a couple items but all were fixed. The 22 ACE setting next to ours had workers crawling all over, dealer said it was so bad that Thor sent a couple people to their location to do pre-sales repairs.

The good: All systems are working. The inside is really pretty clean. Nothing appears crooked or broken. Time will tell and we will soon be putting it through a more rigid check out. It is a good lay out. Easy driving and maneuverable for an RV. It seems a good choice if the size and lay out suit you. We ordered mid-year 2021 and got this unit for about $15,000 less than if we ordered one today.

The surprising: No roof ladder. Dealers said shortage caused this. The V8 does not accelerate as strongly as I thought it would but does hold speed on most hills. Not driven in mountains yet so will see. The dashboard shows 10.8 mpg....was hoping for 30mpg (not really).

The bad: A rabbit chased by a coyote runs a straighter line. Seems to behave much the same as previous year models. Even on very smooth roads it wanders. It came with the same "stupid" tiny tires as previous models......this is my opinion.... stronger is better. Reflections on the driverside create some weird sensations when checking the side mirror. It will take a bit to learn what is reflection and what is really being shown in the mirrors.

The real bad: AXXERA monitor screen. Tear off, throw away and replace. It is dark, bad, not clear, grainy, horrid......bearly useable and extremely less so when wearing sunglasses.

Preferences: The gas pedal could be moved 2 inches forward for comfort.
The beds could use a couple more inches in length for me. Not going to say much about the shower....we bought it knowing what it is. We wish the dash AC was colder.

Probably will post again in couple more places and ask questions about some specific fixes. But need to re-read the past posts so as not to get chewed on for not doing a search.... insert smiley here.

Old 05-15-2022, 03:01 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
When I saw thread title, first thought was — finally, Thor came out with a smaller Axis.

Congratulations on new 24.1.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:21 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post

So far, every system is working. No leaks, no dead circuits, no issues. The dealer said their check found a couple items but all were fixed. The 22 ACE setting next to ours had workers crawling all over, dealer said it was so bad that Thor sent a couple people to their location to do pre-sales repairs.

The good: All systems are working. The inside is really pretty clean. Nothing appears crooked or broken. Time will tell and we will soon be putting it through a more rigid check out. It is a good lay out. Easy driving and maneuverable for an RV. It seems a good choice if the size and lay out suit you. We ordered mid-year 2021 and got this unit for about $15,000 less than if we ordered one today.

The surprising: No roof ladder. Dealers said shortage caused this. The V8 does not accelerate as strongly as I thought it would but does hold speed on most hills. Not driven in mountains yet so will see. The dashboard shows 10.8 mpg....was hoping for 30mpg (not really).

The bad: A rabbit chased by a coyote runs a straighter line. Seems to behave much the same as previous year models. Even on very smooth roads it wanders. It came with the same "stupid" tiny tires as previous models......this is my opinion.... stronger is better. Reflections on the driverside create some weird sensations when checking the side mirror. It will take a bit to learn what is reflection and what is really being shown in the mirrors.

The real bad: AXXERA monitor screen. Tear off, throw away and replace. It is dark, bad, not clear, grainy, horrid......bearly useable and extremely less so when wearing sunglasses.

The beds could use a couple more inches in length for me. Not going to say much about the shower....we bought it knowing what it is. We wish the dash AC was colder.

Probably will post again in couple more places and ask questions about some specific fixes. But need to re-read the past posts so as not to get chewed on for not doing a search.... insert smiley here.
First thing first: After you've put a few hundred miles on it get an alignment. It shouldn't be so squirrely. We had a 2014 24.1 and just recently upgraded to a 2022 24.4. Our 24.4 drives much better out of the gate than the 2014 24.1 did. No wandering on ours. (The shower was one of the reasons moving to the 24.4 LOL)

Make sure you get it aligned. (Haven't done ours yet but will very soon now.)

Another thought: Take it to a CAT scale and get it weighed, just for your sanity (our 2014 24.1 weighed in at 11,400 lbs with 3 people aboard).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:36 PM   #4

THOR #24565
All good advice. Thanks.

It took 700 miles to get home. But that was a good "how do you do" over several states highway system and terrain.

An alignment is being scheduled this week.. Then we will evaluate further needs.

I do wish the 24.1 was built on the E450 chassis.
The extra capability would be nice.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:50 PM   #5

THOR #24565
I believe that this is going to be the first vehicle in decades that I will pay someone to do much of the engine service work.

We will most likely change our own oil, but more than that....ooohh boy.
Just not enough room.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:43 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I second the alignment job. Our 2021 Axis 24.1 drives rather nicely.

Yes any significant engine work requires removing the hood. After that things are tight but doable. I haven’t as yet needed any work, but finding willing Ford dealers is going to be tough.

I have two actual and one potential recall notices pending: The actuals are to check the dog house for correct insulation which may affect spark plug wires; the other relates to brake and power steering hydraulics. The potential one is the Service Advance Trac warning. I am hoping that one soon becomes a recall so I can take care of all three at once.

After dealing with assembly glitches, I have pretty well sorted out my Axis and love it. BTW, I get 12+ mpg on interstates driving in the low 60s.

David
Old 05-17-2022, 05:19 PM   #7

THOR #24565
I am encouraged by your post. Our inspection has not turned up anything to be fuzzed over. Early on I read some one that posted....treat it as if you are buying a kit.

Good attitude and good view on RV life.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:49 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Nice to know the axxerra was updated….NOT
Sounds as good as my 2017 axxerra…..
Nice review, thx.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:10 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:

A checklist

https://campersmarts.com/rv-inspecti...new-or-used-rv
Old 05-17-2022, 08:11 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Scuba, you really need to use the insert hyperlink function.

You post a lot of links, but it’s easier if you post it as a hyperlink, then other users just click it and it opens the page.

Just like this

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:22 PM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Rvchecklist app.

PDI
Repair
Pretrip
Posttrip
Towed
Storage facility
Seasonal

Lists
with maybe 1,100 total checkboxes and fully customizable.
If you don't have a dog, remove dog checks.
If you have a pony add pony checks.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:04 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
Scuba, you really need to use the insert hyperlink function.

You post a lot of links, but it’s easier if you post it as a hyperlink, then other users just click it and it opens the page.

Just like this
Ok thanks
Old 05-19-2022, 01:15 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:

.....cut....

If you need that extra capability then you need it, but if not, it’s added weight and fuel consumption that doesn’t provide much more than peace of mind for some. I know we have to observe sticker ratings, but physical differences between E-350 and E-450 stripped chassis aren’t as great as GVWR and GCWR suggest.

Quote:
I believe that this is going to be the first vehicle in decades that I will pay someone to do much of the engine service work.

We will most likely change our own oil, but more than that....ooohh boy.
Just not enough room.
Agree it’s tight, even on Class C with OEM hood access. A family member purchased an E-450 with 7.3L V8 that came with Ford dual alternator option which piqued my interest. I wanted a quick look, but could barely see the alternators. I’m guessing that like with V10, removing the air filter and intake hose is necessary to even see the front of engine.

P.S. — With gas going north of $4.50, you may soon be happy you got E-350.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:47 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Our 24.1 was on the 350 chassis. It worked fine (and we had a 2014 with the 5000lb hitch so we were limited anyway).

We pulled 5 different cars with it (2 Escape's, Chevy Bolt, Focus Electric, C-Max Energi). The C-Max was likely the heaviest car we pulled--no problems.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:24 PM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
As far as the "grainy". Axerra a dumb question have you checked to be sure the camera doesn't have a piece of plastic over the lens to protect it during shipment and install? Ours did on our Ace
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:32 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Our 24.1 was on the 350 chassis. It worked fine (and we had a 2014 with the 5000lb hitch so we were limited anyway).

We pulled 5 different cars with it (2 Escape's, Chevy Bolt, Focus Electric, C-Max Energi). The C-Max was likely the heaviest car we pulled--no problems.

Pulling isn't the same as OCCC (payload). My 24.1 is on E350 and only has 1299 lbs OCCC. That isn't much with all the compartments the 24.1 has plus adults and fresh water.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:02 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Pulling isn't the same as OCCC (payload). My 24.1 is on E350 and only has 1299 lbs OCCC. That isn't much with all the compartments the 24.1 has plus adults and fresh water.
Did you take it to any scales?

I weighed our 24.1--it came in at 11,400 lbs with all our gear, full fresh water, full propane and 3 people in it--basically as we would drive it. That left 1100 lbs free--I don't think I'd ever put an extra 1000 lbs of stuff in my RV on top of that.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:27 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Did you take it to any scales?

I weighed our 24.1--it came in at 11,400 lbs with all our gear, full fresh water, full propane and 3 people in it--basically as we would drive it. That left 1100 lbs free--I don't think I'd ever put an extra 1000 lbs of stuff in my RV on top of that.

Yours sounds like E450 chassis numbers.

My E350 weighed 12400 lbs (12500 lbs max) without the second adult and no clothing or food loaded.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:32 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Yours sounds like E450 chassis numbers.

My E350 weighed 12400 lbs (12500 lbs max) without the second adult and no clothing or food loaded.
Nope my 2014 24.1 was an E-350 (my 2022 24.4 is an E-450).
Old 05-21-2022, 01:16 PM   #20

THOR #2121
Quote:
Nope my 2014 24.1 was an E-350 (my 2022 24.4 is an E-450).

Did you weigh your new 24.4 empty? Must be considerably heavier than 24.1 and 24.3 for Thor to specify E-450.