Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2021, 06:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
2022 Vegas dash 12v power outlets inop

2022 Vegas, dash 12v power point outlets below the radio used to work. Today I noticed them not working. No power with a voltmeter.

Searched forums and the Axis Vegas 12v outlet fuse is under the hood, fuse 70 or 72. My new model engine fuse panel is different, there is no fuse 70 and 72 is brake switch.

Thor wire diagrams don't show this 12v power outlet either.

Old 12-24-2021, 07:26 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have a 2021 Axis and have a similar problem. I got my Ford manual by registering with Thor support (requires your VIN) and then downloading it.

On page 151 it gives a drawing of the engine compartment fuse panel and subsequent pages indicate what each fuse does. Position 51, a 20A controls Power Point 1 and position 56, also a 20A controls Power Point 2 prep B-Pillar connector. So I suspect it is position 51.

But I was not able to get to the fuse box. Page 162 of the manual shows a (split) diagram of the engine compartment and the fuse box is (looking aft) just to the right of the power steering reservoir. But to get to it, at a minimum you would have to unbolt the hood.

So I decided to run a separate cable from the outlets direct to the chassis battery through a 20A fuse. This is actually better for me as the outlets are always powered.

Try Thor Customer Service and get a copy of your specific chassis manual and see if it doesn't match mine. You should have also gotten a paper copy with your various appliance docs.

FWIW, my dash outlets blew the fuse when the radio fell down and shorted the outlet power terminals. More to that sad story later. FWIW that radio and its display is tacked on as an afterthought to where the smaller display was located in prior years. Hope they fixed that horrible design for your coach.

David
Old 12-24-2021, 08:08 PM   #3

THOR #21919
David,

I checked fuse 51 and 56 in the under hood fuse panel as shown on page 162. Those are labeled power point 1 and 2. Both 20 amp fuses. There is also fuse 12 power point 4. All three fuses are good. No hood removal required

I have all Thor standard diagrams and extra diagrams requested through engineering. The extra are dash harness, chassis harness, right side harness and sofa harness. None show the 12v power outlets under the radio.

I have a request in to Thor (again) for information on these 12v outlets.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Have you looked at the wiring to the outlets? The last person that had this problem found the wires to the outlets had fallen (been pulled) off. Thor doesn't put any slack in those wires so easy for that to happen.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 08:58 PM   #5

THOR #21919
Yes I removed the wiring and checked for power directly on the spade connector crimped on the heavy wires.

I am thinking of running a new power wire directly to the chassis battery with a new fuse that I can change.

GPS cable checked good using another vehicle. Don't know why these 12v outlets just stopped working one day.
Old 12-26-2021, 03:52 PM   #6

THOR #21919
I "fixed" the 12v outlets same as DavidEM did. I ran a new power wire and fuse to the chassis battery.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:47 PM   #7

THOR #21919
Found the Thor electrical diagram for the dash 12v outlets. I circled the wiring information. C67 is the disconnect less than 12' from the outlets. No idea where Ford pigtail is.

Contacted Thor for more info to share with group, nothing more was available. Was told to contact Ford for the bodybuilder harness wiring and fuse.

I've already rewired the RV, just sharing for others that want to fix their 2021+ Axis/Vegas.

Old 12-29-2021, 07:08 PM   #8

THOR #20289
Looks like you got slapped on the wrist by the mods. Could you tell us where you found the proprietary info, unless the where is proprietary?

David
Old 12-29-2021, 07:36 PM   #9

THOR #21919
Thor sent it directly to me as an owner. Ask for the dash wire harness.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:26 PM   #10

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Thor sent it directly to me as an owner. Ask for the dash wire harness.
OK, thanks. I asked Thor's support person for the same thing many months ago and all she could give me was the standard diagrams that are available when you register as an owner. Guess I got the wrong person and answer.

As you say, since I wired the outlets directly to the battery it really doesn't matter.

David
Old 12-30-2021, 12:50 AM   #11

THOR #21919
Facebook message Kayla Tee. Be clear on your request and include your last eight of VIN plus an email address. She will have a Thor engineer send you the data you need.

You should be able to request electrical drawings depending on model:

Chassis Harness
Dash Harness
Right Side Harness
Sofa Harness

I wired mine directly to the chassis battery as well. These drawings helped me install my heat strip in the roof AC unit.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:43 PM   #12

State: Arizona
THOR #11915
12 volt outlet fuses

We have a 2019 Thor Vegas 24.1. We lost power to our 12 volt dash outlets. The cab/chassis wiring diagram is in the Ford manual. Ford indicated the 12 volt outlet fuse was #72 but it had no fuse. Thor person in the shop said she has gotten that question repeatedly and it is fuse #70. She did not know who changed it or why -Ford or Thor. That fuse #70 tested good, but we put in a new one and it works fine. It was in the fuse box under the hood on the driver’s side up over the wheel well. Very dark and difficult to see/reach.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:17 PM   #13

THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Ahlman View Post
We have a 2019 Thor Vegas 24.1. We lost power to our 12 volt dash outlets. The cab/chassis wiring diagram is in the Ford manual. Ford indicated the 12 volt outlet fuse was #72 but it had no fuse. Thor person in the shop said she has gotten that question repeatedly and it is fuse #70. She did not know who changed it or why -Ford or Thor. That fuse #70 tested good, but we put in a new one and it works fine. It was in the fuse box under the hood on the driver’s side up over the wheel well. Very dark and difficult to see/reach.

The fuse location changed with the new V8 engine in 2021. The new fuse location is unknown at this time.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:03 PM   #14

State: Louisiana
THOR #28245
I have a 2021 Thor Vegas and the power feeding the wire on the back of my 12v power outlets went out also. The spade connectors are still attached to the back of the outlets. So using a VOM I checked every fuse(Yes, the even difficult-to-reach ones under the hood!) in the coach and they all checked fine. Then I began to trace the wire. It changes from a heavy dark blue wire to a smaller light blue with a red line on it (see photo). This is where it changes from the 'Thor wire' to the 'Ford wire'. Then it goes through a 'Ford' many-conductor plug and continues to a large 'Ford' plug (see photos) with quite a few conductors. Then it goes through the firewall,presumably to the main fuse panel under the hood. My thinking is that knowing the 'Ford' color of the wire with the correct wiring info from Ford, I should be able to track it down to its origin. Reaching out to get the diagram is my next step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wirechangescolor.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	39726   Click image for larger version

Name:	fordplugsmall.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	39727  

Name:	fordplug.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	39728  
Old 10-15-2022, 01:58 PM   #15

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Good job. Please post more when you can!
Old 10-15-2022, 03:56 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmbie View Post
I have a 2021 Thor Vegas and the power feeding the wire on the back of my 12v power outlets went out also. The spade connectors are still attached to the back of the outlets. So using a VOM I checked every fuse(Yes, the even difficult-to-reach ones under the hood!) in the coach and they all checked fine. Then I began to trace the wire. It changes from a heavy dark blue wire to a smaller light blue with a red line on it (see photo). This is where it changes from the 'Thor wire' to the 'Ford wire'. Then it goes through a 'Ford' many-conductor plug and continues to a large 'Ford' plug (see photos) with quite a few conductors. Then it goes through the firewall,presumably to the main fuse panel under the hood. My thinking is that knowing the 'Ford' color of the wire with the correct wiring info from Ford, I should be able to track it down to its origin. Reaching out to get the diagram is my next step.
Since this seems to be a relatively common problem it would be great to keep the thread updated on your progress. It looks like you have the skills to hunt this thing down.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:05 PM   #17

State: New Jersey
THOR #10772
Vegas 2014

Glad isn’t the proper word but to see this is a common problem relieves me of thinking I didn’t something to cause the disconnect. Found fuse it didn’t look broken but I replaced it anyway. Took the radio out and even removed the plastic dashboard where everything attaches to being careful not to disconnect anything else. Tried following the wires no breaks as far as I got. Inside the engine area all the wires are in plastic stuff. I’ve reached the end of my abilities. Any suggestions on who might fix this or connect wires directly to battery like some people have said? Would I use a car mechanic or have to take it someplace like camping world?
Thanks.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:19 PM   #18

THOR #20289
It isn't that hard to wire the outlets directly (well through a fuse) to the chassis battery. Here is what I did:

I opened up the driver's side lift up table and unscrewed its mounting screws and pulled it off. I was surprised that someone (the dealer or Thor?) had previously removed the plywood cut out underneath. If not so on yours just cut out the corner sections with a hand saw and lift out the plywood. Search for other's recommendations on how to reinstall it, but I just left it out since it wasn't there in the first place.

Then you can reach the battery. I connected a single #10 gauge wire from the battery positive using a ring terminal crimped on, then to a 20A fuse located near the battery and finally the other end connected to the two outlet's positive terminals using the point where they join. I cut it at that point and crimped a splice to the new positive wire. I taped over the unused wire that ultimately goes to the chassis fuse in case it somehow becomes hot again.

I looked for a good ground location nearby and couldn't find one, so I just used the existing ground wire to the two outlets, presuming that they have to go to ground somewhere.

It all worked fine. You have to remember that both outlets are hot all of the time whether the engine is running or not. This is unlike the OEM wiring where they are ignition protected. I actually like it this way, but you have to remember that if you leave a load on those outlets for long without the engine running, you will run the battery down.

David
Old 10-23-2022, 10:06 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capeteacher View Post
Glad isn’t the proper word but to see this is a common problem relieves me of thinking I didn’t something to cause the disconnect. Found fuse it didn’t look broken but I replaced it anyway. Took the radio out and even removed the plastic dashboard where everything attaches to being careful not to disconnect anything else. Tried following the wires no breaks as far as I got. Inside the engine area all the wires are in plastic stuff. I’ve reached the end of my abilities. Any suggestions on who might fix this or connect wires directly to battery like some people have said? Would I use a car mechanic or have to take it someplace like camping world?
Thanks.
If you don't fell up to it, take it to an auto stereo shop and ask them to provide fused battery power to the outlets. They can probably hook you up in less than an hour and way cheaper than CW.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:18 PM   #20

State: Louisiana
THOR #28245
Problem re-solved. With no help from Ford or Thor (they each pointed the finger at the other). I found the fuse that powers the power outlets on the dash. It is number #43 in the large & very difficult-to-reach fuse panel located in the engine compartment. In the FORD owner's manual this fuse is identified as a 30A fuse however mine was a 40A from the factory. This isn't one of those ordinary fuses that most auto shops have have on the shelf. It's a 40 amp MCASE type fuse NOT an MCASE mini.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	40 Amp MCASE fuse (NOT MCASEmini!) .jpg
Views:	248
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	39993