Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2021, 09:31 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kansas
THOR #12311
Used to do body work in the younger half of my life but my shoulders can’t hack it anymore but did some buffing with medium cut polish but gave that up fairly quick cause it wasn’t really helping a lot for the effort. We figure maybe 5 more years of rving and maybe moving up to something newer and bigger but if we do it won’t be a Thor.

Old 08-05-2021, 04:14 AM   #22

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
dk - I got a little too aggressive trying to remove some black streaks under a window on ours... it's the basic fiberglass with gelcoat. I think I damaged the gelcoat... where I rubbed it looks like oxidized clear coat... any suggestions??
Old 08-05-2021, 05:27 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
dk - I got a little too aggressive trying to remove some black streaks under a window on ours... it's the basic fiberglass with gelcoat. I think I damaged the gelcoat... where I rubbed it looks like oxidized clear coat... any suggestions??
You just need a good polishing compound. There are all types, but I try not to get too aggressive with the cutting because I keep the surface clean and coated with the Pure RV / Marine Wax.

The Meguiars Glaze #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish is what I use to ensure gelcoat is smooth and polished, I then wax on top of that

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Using a Dual Polisher or Buffer helps, but make sure it is flat area, if not do by hand. Also, don't set speed to high trying to get it out, I usually use the lowest setting. I worry about the outside edger because it is spinning twice as fast as the middle.

Be sure to apply was when done, that hybrid solutions ceramic spray you use may work? I ordered some and expect to have it by this weekend. But I only plan to use on my roof. I only use the Pure RV Wax, Spray wax cleaners and Detailers Spray on the RV's paint.

Good luck
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:00 AM   #24

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
i purchased a 2002 THOR ACE, all the decals started peeling off, and the paint was all cracked, when i picked up camper all the interior panels had water stains, and the floor panels were coming up. I opened the refrigerator door and it came off the hinges, i tried using the shower and it had looked like all the waste water had come up thru the drains. The previous owner said he connected the black tank to the Shower? Can i get my 45K back? I will never buy used again...
Old 08-06-2021, 12:04 AM   #25

THOR #22342
how much did you pay?
Old 08-06-2021, 12:27 AM   #26

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
i purchased a 2002 THOR ACE, all the decals started peeling off, and the paint was all cracked, when i picked up camper all the interior panels had water stains, and the floor panels were coming up. I opened the refrigerator door and it came off the hinges, i tried using the shower and it had looked like all the waste water had come up thru the drains. The previous owner said he connected the black tank to the Shower? Can i get my 45K back? I will never buy used again...
There is nothing wrong with buying used or new for that matter. Both are personal preferences. But to buy either without a PDI is the rathole that a lot RV buyers fall into.

To answer your question, tell us about the buying process? Did you ever see before buying? Did Seller ever say any those things you mentioned were in pristine condition? Did seller offer you any warranty or was it sold as is?

Note: It is NOT illegal or unethical to sell junk, people do it everyday. FWIW, I don't see how you plumb waste tank into shower? Maybe he did it the other way to get more water in the black tank and it somehow backed up? Or are you saying you turn the shower on and poop comes out?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-06-2021, 11:16 AM   #27

State: Florida
THOR #15410
It happens alot,our 2017 chateau was the same way. We reupholstered the furniture with fabric and just wash and wax the outside and use 303 alot.its as good as it is
Old 08-06-2021, 04:25 PM   #28

THOR #22342
Im good now, Brand New 2021 THOR ACE 30.4, As soon as the Paul Sherry RV in Piqua, OH put it on the web, i put a deposit down and told them to lock it up until i inspected. All is good and buying NEW is the only way. If THOR would start selling Factory Direct, the world would be a better place, because all the little things on the RV wont be removed by the deaier... 1) 50 AMP POWER CORDS, 2 ) CURTAINS, 3) RETRACTABLE BEDS 4) AC units.

My experience is.. When the Dealer gets the RV. They start robbing parts to fulfill Warranty items on other RV's at the dealer ship.

SO FIND THAT RV. DEMAND THE DEALER LOCK IT UP FROM THE PUBLIC AND ENJOY THE WARRANTY>
Old 08-06-2021, 05:00 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Im good now, Brand New 2021 THOR ACE 30.4, As soon as the Paul Sherry RV in Piqua, OH put it on the web, i put a deposit down and told them to lock it up until i inspected. All is good and buying NEW is the only way. If THOR would start selling Factory Direct, the world would be a better place, because all the little things on the RV wont be removed by the deaier... 1) 50 AMP POWER CORDS, 2 ) CURTAINS, 3) RETRACTABLE BEDS 4) AC units.

My experience is.. When the Dealer gets the RV. They start robbing parts to fulfill Warranty items on other RV's at the dealer ship.

SO FIND THAT RV. DEMAND THE DEALER LOCK IT UP FROM THE PUBLIC AND ENJOY THE WARRANTY>
You mean Camping World in Piqua, Ohio?
Paying full MSRP?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #30

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I had to replace some of the same little things, and some bigger things.. the jack seals wear out, then the jack will sag on its on within a few mins of retracting. Needed to replace chassiss AC fan motor, my windshiled popped out, had a new one put in, was cracked in 3 places anyway..And a carb for the genset, they gum up.. and a new door latch cuase it broke one day with no warning, could not open the main door, lucky I was inside so able to unscrew it from the door and get it off. and more, but I forget,,, happy trails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjatoto View Post
Put new tires on this year they were dated 06/14 only had 17k on them, no cracks but……… Have replaced one leveler hose that blew out at the pump, made a hell of a mess.Replaced the stereo head unit with a pioneer and got a alignment in16.In 17 went to Pensacola and slide controller went out and put a bigger road master sway bar up front and got a wilderness memory foam king mattress. In 18 put sumo springs on front,went to padre island nothing broke!!! 2020 we’ll, you know didn’t take any big trips. 2021 rear sway bar bracket broke on a short trip, fixed that and added a trac bar and went to Pensacola again with a MKX toad, 6 yrs later and at 21K lots of little stuff like kitchen faucet and drain, new led taillights to replace the water logged ones,replaced heater sail switch, slide awning that fell off on one end, windshield wiper arm that fell off,the weatherstrip that holds the windshield popped out and leaked during a downpour,and replaced the outside shower and few other problems I forget I still have the original coach batteries but have replaced chassis battery twice!!!!! Ahhhh the life of the RVer.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:25 PM   #31

THOR #13058
Quote:

So you bought two Thor's? 2002 THOR ACE & 2021 THOR ACE 30.4
i purchased a 2002 THOR ACE, all the decals started peeling off, and the paint was all cracked, when i picked up camper all the interior panels had water stains, and the floor panels were coming up. I opened the refrigerator door and it came off the hinges, i tried using the shower and it had looked like all the waste water had come up thru the drains. The previous owner said he connected the black tank to the Shower? Can i get my 45K back?
I do agree 100% on issues with TMC Dealers. I never could find a good one, but that had nothing to really do with TMC, it was because I was always shopping the best prices, and the ones on the lots that had been sitting the longest were the cheapest; and yes in some cases the most butchered. If I was willing to get one that had just came in; I would prolly see things different.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:33 PM   #32

THOR #22342
yes, both RV on property but the 2021 we drive.

What i found out is that THOR and Camping World have an inspection criteria, So, Camping World signs off on the RV prior to delivering to dealers. THOR has a record of this and has told me.. The BED over the driver was in working order at delivery.

So the issue is the Warranty work. You have to be very careful during the buying experience. If there is something wrong with a component, AC, Slide out, Bed. Call THOR with the VIN number and let them tell you if this was accepted at Camping World at delivery.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:35 AM   #33

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
To the OP…

For the outside, many on this website have removed all the peeled, faded, cracked decals.
Then you can polish the surface, wrap the surface with any of the many options, or paint the entire rig.

Here’s a photo of a coach very similar to yours:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3CAB9DF3-DBAA-48A2-A1BE-1D270D8C0A51.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	32616  
Old 08-07-2021, 01:44 AM   #34

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
yes, both RV on property but the 2021 we drive.

What i found out is that THOR and Camping World have an inspection criteria, So, Camping World signs off on the RV prior to delivering to dealers. THOR has a record of this and has told me.. The BED over the driver was in working order at delivery.

So the issue is the Warranty work. You have to be very careful during the buying experience. If there is something wrong with a component, AC, Slide out, Bed. Call THOR with the VIN number and let them tell you if this was accepted at Camping World at delivery.
The coach is paid for before it leaves the factory's storage lot. The dealer's delivery service driver signs off on the easily removed items at the factory lot. At the dealers, the coach is inspected for damage during delivery. Thor MC furnishes a dealer post delivery checklist and that check list which must be returned to Thor MC before any warranty item work is charged or parts ordered. Most dealers keep a copy of the delivery PDI just in case. A repeatable dealer will show you the PDI checklist. Because of the weather in Elkhart the coach is delivered winterized. The dealer is required to check all the plumbing carefully before delivering the coach to the new owner.

I bought my coach in January in TX and it was still winterized when we moved into the delivery shed. I watched the tech hookup the water line to the pump, fill the water heater and check all 6 sets of faucets and the five drains into the two tanks. The next morning he came by to check on us and answer about 20 questions. We then drove the coach about 500 ft to the dump station with the salesman and delivery tech and they proceeded to instruct us on how to empty and flush the tanks.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:19 AM   #35

THOR #16721
We bought our 2020 in late summer 2019. 2 - 3 days after having it home, I was lifting the mattress to put on a topper. The pic below shows what I found. BRAND NEW COACH!!

A little sleuthing and talking with the dealer... determined someone didn't fully lock the outside storage compartment adjacent to the bed. They replaced the plywood bed platform and all trim/wall panels that came in contact with it... took about a week then. I water tested the compartment seal myself, and I'm satisfied with that conclusion and the repair.

Moral to the story? Go over your coach VERY THOROUGHLY BEFORE driving it off the lot! I was one of the lucky suckers...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190805_153444.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	32617  
Old 08-07-2021, 02:26 AM   #36

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
You just need a good polishing compound. There are all types, but I try not to get too aggressive with the cutting because I keep the surface clean and coated with the Pure RV / Marine Wax.

The Meguiars Glaze #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish is what I use to ensure gelcoat is smooth and polished, I then wax on top of that

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Using a Dual Polisher or Buffer helps, but make sure it is flat area, if not do by hand. Also, don't set speed to high trying to get it out, I usually use the lowest setting. I worry about the outside edger because it is spinning twice as fast as the middle.

Be sure to apply was when done, that hybrid solutions ceramic spray you use may work? I ordered some and expect to have it by this weekend. But I only plan to use on my roof. I only use the Pure RV Wax, Spray wax cleaners and Detailers Spray on the RV's paint.

Good luck
The hybrid ceramic did nothing for the gloss of the gelcoat streaks... looks just as bad, BUT it's smooth as glass. I find that weird. Seems like the ceramic smooths the surface, but it doesn't gloss up like wax... defies physics. So I reckon I'm gonna have to strip/wax that area... I have some paste polishing compound, but hesitate to use it in the gelcoat... I don't want to eff it up more than it is.
Old 08-07-2021, 03:57 AM   #37

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
The hybrid ceramic did nothing for the gloss of the gelcoat streaks... looks just as bad, BUT it's smooth as glass. I find that weird. Seems like the ceramic smooths the surface, but it doesn't gloss up like wax... defies physics. So I reckon I'm gonna have to strip/wax that area... I have some paste polishing compound, but hesitate to use it in the gelcoat... I don't want to eff it up more than it is.
That is why I only plan to test and use the Ceramic Spray on the roof. I don't need a deep shine up there, only protection of Sun / UV / Leaves and Bird Poop; if it can be easier to apply than the wax I use today? BTW, I got my Hybrid Solution Ceramic Spray Wax today.

I have not encountered the black streaks that you are facing, in part because of the wax on the roof, what little I have seen (mainly from the sealant from the awnings) I can wipe off a Microfiber towel. I do use Spray Wax cleaner if something looks tough. The Meguiars Glaze #83 polishing cleaning compound is as aggressive I will get. I then put the Pure RV / Marine Wax on top of that, it may sound like a lot but I never spend more than 1 hour working on the RV. My RV is at home so it is easy to work on sections at a time that is convenient for me.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:59 AM   #38

THOR #16721
Thanks! I'll try the McGuires glaze.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #39

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
That is why I only plan to test and use the Ceramic Spray on the roof. I don't need a deep shine up there, only protection of Sun / UV / Leaves and Bird Poop; if it can be easier to apply than the wax I use today? BTW, I got my Hybrid Solution Ceramic Spray Wax today.

I have not encountered the black streaks that you are facing, in part because of the wax on the roof, what little I have seen (mainly from the sealant from the awnings) I can wipe off a Microfiber towel. I do use Spray Wax cleaner if something looks tough. The Meguiars Glaze #83 polishing cleaning compound is as aggressive I will get. I then put the Pure RV / Marine Wax on top of that, it may sound like a lot but I never spend more than 1 hour working on the RV. My RV is at home so it is easy to work on sections at a time that is convenient for me.
Your roof is fiberglass? Mine is rubber membrane. Was told never to let wax touch it. I wash it thoroughly then apply 303. Roof on our old 5th wheel lasted 13 years. Stored outside uncovered.
Old 08-07-2021, 02:20 PM   #40

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Your roof is fiberglass? Mine is rubber membrane. Was told never to let wax touch it. I wash it thoroughly then apply 303. Roof on our old 5th wheel lasted 13 years. Stored outside uncovered.
That is correct, my roof is Fiberglass. Technically, I don't have to do anything but regular washing and maintenance according to the Roof's Mfg as it has a 10 year warranty. What I do is 100% cosmetic to protect against Sun / UV / Leaves and Bird Poop. I am fortunate to be able to park my RV at my home. We as well as some neighbors have 2 story homes and we can see the roof from 2nd floors. We have an online Neighbor Association and you should see all of the complaints where neighbors will go after another that has a RV parked at the home or on the street. When they start to call them Cuzin Eddie; I know it is about to erupt , but we get nothing but compliments. Yes, I am that kind of guy

I use 303 as well, but only for the decals, makes sense for a rubber roof but since it only last 2 months or so, that is a lot of treatment on the roof (even for a cleaning perfectionist like me).

Update: I said 100% Cosmetic but that may not be really true. In my case of desire to keep roof clean is to avoid streaks from the crud that may wash off from a roof to the sides. I never get that. In most cases, when I am just rinsing my roof off, i don't need to do anything with the sides. Only exception thus far has been when leaves accumulate. I may have to spray rinse the sides where water would drain from awnings because leaves may stick to side of coach. Well I guess that is for cosmetic purposes too; so maybe I stick with 100% cosmetic?