Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2021, 02:46 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Thanks! I'll try the McGuires glaze.
I tired the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray for the 1st time this morning.

I rinsed the roof off 1st and could still see RV Wash & Wax solution, so I just brushed it all one more time and re-rinsed. 15 min

I waited IMPATIENTLY for it to dry Getting restless; I took the Meguiars Glaze #83 and looked for any leaf stains. I found 5, It has been about 7 months since last wax. They all came right out. But roof was still not fully dry. As Sun was coming up and it will only getting warmer; I started anyway in areas that were dry. So I ended up piece-milling the application

It took me 30 minute to spray the ceramic wax on entire roof. I could easily tell how much smoother it was as it was very slick. Almost no shine however. If I have to go back and hand buff harder to get it to shine, I might as well be using a Pure wax.

It also appears to be very thin; which may be all that is needed?

My plan is to apply a 2nd coat using twice as much spray this evening when the Sun falls behinds the tree. Leaves are just beginning to drop due to the heat and I will know if it is doing anything for me by November.

I am hoping it can because It is easier to apply than the Pure RV / Marine Wax at least on the roof

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 12:50 AM   #42

THOR #13058
Attached is same roof after 2 coats of Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray. It went on very easy and took 30 minutes each time. It does not have the lustre or shine of Meguiars #56 Pure RV / Marine wax, but the real test will be how can it handle the decaying leaves and for how long? It is early; but even if it serves the fiberglass roof well, I think I rather continue to use Meguiars #56 Pure RV / Marine wax on the rest of the RV utilizing the Spray Wax Cleaners, and/or the new Turtle Wax Hybrid Solution 3 n 1 Detailing spray on in between waxes and washes.

Note: I only used about 8 oz; so it was about $7 of Ceramic Spray and 1 hour of my time. I believe the Meguiars #56 Pure RV / Marine wax is cheaper and better with deeper shine; but takes 2 1/2 times longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210807_192020 rotate.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	32664   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210807_192119 rotate.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	32665  

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-09-2021, 04:19 PM   #43

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Tennessee
THOR #18316
ACE Finish - buffing compound for gelcoat oxidation

I've just completed buffing my 2016 Hurricane 32N with the following 3M product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I purchased my unit a couple years ago with moderate oxidation which worsened. Last year, I buffed one side with a different 3M compound with limited results. After seeing the above product recommended on a FB group, I ordered a bottle from Amazon. After about 6 or 7 hours of buffing (6" random orbital, fine foam pad), I can say that I am very, very pleased. After buffing, I wiped off the excess with a microfiber cloth and then immediatly applied Mother's CMX ceramic spray wax. I'm not sure how long the CMX will last, but I can highly recommend the 3M Perfect It for buffing out the oxidation.
reminckv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:54 PM   #44

THOR #13058
Got some rain today, took picture to see how the Ceramic Spray would bead up with water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210814_132034_rotate.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	32829  
Old 08-15-2021, 07:30 PM   #45

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Now those are some clean RV roofs.. and when your done. Just jump into the pool to cool off....
Old 08-19-2021, 06:45 PM   #46

THOR #22342
RV WAX,

What RV wax works best on the ACE? I have a 2021 with really nice finish. I see all the other RV in lot with faded paint. They spend alot of money to get there RV finish back.

I have used many products and have found that polishing compound works the best. Its is easy to apply and wipes off easy. It leaves a very nice finish. After that i use the spray wax and a micro fiber cloth.

How often should we apply wax? I am applying a coat every 6 months. I am constantly battling the black marks left from the AC unit and rain storms.

Thanks
Tom
Old 08-20-2021, 04:07 AM   #47

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
dk - My opinion so far of the Turtle Wax ceramic is that it seems to protect like wax... but DEFINITELY doesn't shine/gloss dull surfaces. It's been on mine for a couple weeks now. Sitting out back uncovered, the MH would previously get grimy from residual dust/dirt and rain would just magnify the grime. And water spots were horrible!

I went out today to just walk around and inspect. After some very hot/humid days last week followed by torrential rain, every spot I "waxed" looked just as good as when applied. There were no water spots on the hood or chrome bumper. A couple bird poop spots wiped off with little effort. Again... time will tell.

P.S. I applied the stuff to the windshields on both daily drivers. Bottom line, it acts more or less like Rain-X of old. I'm gonna apply to MH windshield in hopes of better "bug repellent".

Like you said... I'm not impressed with the "shine ability" of the stuff. I applied probably 4 coats to the damaged gelcoat (clearcoat?) and buffed until my arm cried uncle. I could see NO difference in the gloss... but it was incredibly smooth.

P.S.S. Bought a bottle of the Turtle Wax ceramic wash concentrate last week and used it on the wife's daily. We've had constant hurricane induced rain for over a week here in Ohio. She drives nearly 60 miles/day. I looked at her car yesterday, and it looked like it was just washed! The wash concentrate must have the ceramic base in it. I was impressed...
Old 08-20-2021, 12:45 PM   #48

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
dk - My opinion so far of the Turtle Wax ceramic is that it seems to protect like wax... but DEFINITELY doesn't shine/gloss dull surfaces. It's been on mine for a couple weeks now. Sitting out back uncovered, the MH would previously get grimy from residual dust/dirt and rain would just magnify the grime. And water spots were horrible!

I went out today to just walk around and inspect. After some very hot/humid days last week followed by torrential rain, every spot I "waxed" looked just as good as when applied. There were no water spots on the hood or chrome bumper. A couple bird poop spots wiped off with little effort. Again... time will tell.

P.S. I applied the stuff to the windshields on both daily drivers. Bottom line, it acts more or less like Rain-X of old. I'm gonna apply to MH windshield in hopes of better "bug repellent".

Like you said... I'm not impressed with the "shine ability" of the stuff. I applied probably 4 coats to the damaged gelcoat (clearcoat?) and buffed until my arm cried uncle. I could see NO difference in the gloss... but it was incredibly smooth.

P.S.S. Bought a bottle of the Turtle Wax ceramic wash concentrate last week and used it on the wife's daily. We've had constant hurricane induced rain for over a week here in Ohio. She drives nearly 60 miles/day. I looked at her car yesterday, and it looked like it was just washed! The wash concentrate must have the ceramic base in it. I was impressed...

So on a car that’s already shiny does it dull the finish?
Old 08-20-2021, 01:55 PM   #49

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
RV WAX,

What RV wax works best on the ACE? I have a 2021 with really nice finish. I see all the other RV in lot with faded paint. They spend alot of money to get there RV finish back.

I have used many products and have found that polishing compound works the best. Its is easy to apply and wipes off easy. It leaves a very nice finish. After that i use the spray wax and a micro fiber cloth.

How often should we apply wax? I am applying a coat every 6 months. I am constantly battling the black marks left from the AC unit and rain storms.

Thanks
Tom
I would avoid using polishing compound especially on a new surface. It's an abrasive like a very fine sandpaper and using it removes the top of a finish. A cleaner wax like Meguires cleaner wax will remove light discolorations from tree spots, etc. Either wax or ceramic coating on it. Regular washing and cleaning will help keep the surface looking newer. Parking out of the sun goes a long way for longevity too.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:21 AM   #50

THOR #13058
Quote:

I think I concur with your findings thus far. I can see a definite difference on my roof where I waxed a few spots the old fashion way before applying the ceramic on the entire roof. I don't foresee putting the ceramic on the sides of the RV or any of my Cars / SUV.

It is still too early to be definitive but my observations...

1. the Ceramic Spray seems to be doing a good job on the roof for what I see, but that may be due the fact that it is very slippery so most leaves or debris easily blows off with the slightest winds
2. It does not prevent the leaves that do sit on the roof that may water decay from staining
3. As far as the marketing go, they should rename it to "Try n Shine and Forget It" I have been waxing cars since I was 9 years old, nothing like finishing a good wax job yourself.
4. I was trying to save about an hour and 1/2 of waxing on the roof for safety reasons. Lets see if it can even make it to October before I panic and have to go wax it with my Meguiars Pure Wax anyway
5. On the flip side, I did buy the Turtle Wax Detailer 3 and 1 that has ceramic. I am in the process on comparing it with my Regular Spray Cleaner Wax. I put it on the glass and rubber trim around the glass, but I think 303 is best on the Rubber Trim and my Rain X on the Glass is all I need.
6. It is going to take money to get me to try anything other than RV Wash & Wax concentrate. That is just good stuff PERIOD. Others may be the equivalent, but I found this first and have ZERO need to change.
6. BTW I did spray the Ceramic Spray on the white bottom of the boat (shine don't matter), but I hope the next time I go to the lake my boat don't slide off the water if I go too fast
Old 08-21-2021, 12:45 AM   #51

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I would avoid using polishing compound especially on a new surface. It's an abrasive like a very fine sandpaper and using it removes the top of a finish. A cleaner wax like Meguires cleaner wax will remove light discolorations from tree spots, etc. Either wax or ceramic coating on it. Regular washing and cleaning will help keep the surface looking newer. Parking out of the sun goes a long way for longevity too.
x2

Only thing though is your last line. I know if I had a Garage, Indoor Storage Facility or willing to hassle with a cover, it will help, but that is nooooo fun

I have seen 2 year old coaches that look horrible and decals already peeling.

The game I am playing is how to keep it looking new without any of the above and can it be done for 7 years? I got 5 more to go, thus far it is Easy Peasey, but maybe when it starts to fade it fades fast? Add the fact that I park at home under a tree 24/7 to my challenge.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:20 AM   #52

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
So on a car that’s already shiny does it dull the finish?
It doesn't seem to change the gloss at all. You spray a little on and spread it around - then buff until slick... it gets VERY slick in my experience.

I was disappointed it didn't act like a carnauba wax - filling in "micro pits" creating a smooth, slick AND glossy surface. I was expecting that. But the water repellent and UV protection properties are supposed to rival carnauba wax... with MUCH less application effort.

My theory is that since the ceramic"wax" is very thin (like water) and although it coats the entire surface, it doesn't have enough "body" to build up in those micro pits... which would empart a higher gloss. Like the difference between an oil vs epoxy finish on wood.
Old 10-30-2021, 06:10 PM   #53

THOR #22342
Floor Stains

I was able to apply multiple substances to the floor to get out Weed Killer stains. It takes about 8 hrs. The floors in the ACE are very durable. Not sure how that yellow weed killer would leach into the floor surface.

You can see a little of what is left of the Yellow Weed Killer stain still in the grain of the floor.

I probably used a combination of chemicals that would have been outlawed in WWI
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2021-10-30_13-33-17.jpg
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	34509  
Old 10-31-2021, 12:55 AM   #54

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Ace finish

On my 16 ace I use meguires color restore compound and a orange pad on my Bauer buffer set on 2. Do a 3’x3’ area up and down back and forth wipe off residue switch microfiber towels and wipe again.
Then use meguires marine wax which also has polishing oils on a white pad with polisher set on 4.
Your finish including your decals are protected and look like new.
FYI on decals, on my previous motor home decals were a mess. I took a heat gun warmed them up and take a plastic scraper carefully scrape decals off. Takes time but only way to get sun burnt cracked decals off.
Take pictures first and measure decals before removing. Go to fast signs and they will create new decals and install them, your unit will look like new.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:28 PM   #55

THOR #22342
Have you tried Meguiar's G55163 Premium Wash & Hybrid Ceramic Wax Kit?

This seems to bring out the natural brilliance of the THOR ACE Gelcoat factory paint job. It works well on the black front area around the window area. I am always trying different products to get the water stains off of the black area around the window.

https://www.amazon.com/MEGUIARS-G190...a-813078847431
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2021-10-31_16-31-50.jpg
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	34521  
Old 11-01-2021, 07:57 PM   #56

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Ace finish

I was talking to a fellow camper with a 45’ diesel pusher last summer that was 20 years old and looked like new. He didn’t like the ceramic waxes and finishes said they attract dust to the motor home, have u experienced this?