Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2021, 07:23 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
We've been very happy with our 2016 Axis 25.2, after owning 2 large A class RV's when our kids were young, it suits us fine. We go to various 'meets' and music festivals as well as some longer stays in France and, with regard to levelling, I fitted 2 scissor jacks behind the front wheels and never have a problem. Here, in Europe, it's size is perfect.
I called my tech about front scissor jacks.
He has 7000 pound. Are yours stronger.
Can you left the coach 3 to 5 inches by just turning scissors and no damage to scissors?

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:26 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Can you left the coach 3 to 5 inches by just turning scissors and no damage to scissors?
I have scissors on both front and rear. Rears work great--haven't tried lifting the coach with them; that takes more oomph than I can crank in them.

The fronts, however, I rarely used because they are mounted on the frame in front of the crush zone and when I really crank down there it actually pushes the entire front end up...pops open the front hood...sigh.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:48 PM   #23

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I have scissors on both front and rear. Rears work great--haven't tried lifting the coach with them; that takes more oomph than I can crank in them.

The fronts, however, I rarely used because they are mounted on the frame in front of the crush zone and when I really crank down there it actually pushes the entire front end up...pops open the front hood...sigh.

We have electric stabilizers in rear so rear is ok
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 12-29-2021, 08:29 PM   #24

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
I went on an Amazon website for jacks that stabilize and level. A person asked if he could use the jacks to raise his motorhome and the seller said level the rv level first, the jacks are used to stabilize it only. This has been on many forums and it's always the same, People want to use stabilizing jacks for lifting
Old 12-29-2021, 09:46 PM   #25

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I went on an Amazon website for jacks that stabilize and level. A person asked if he could use the jacks to raise his motorhome and the seller said level the rv level first, the jacks are used to stabilize it only. This has been on many forums and it's always the same, People want to use stabilizing jacks for lifting
Got it no lifting
Old 12-30-2021, 11:13 AM   #26

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
Quote:
Yep, I've 7000lb ones and yes, I can get 4 or 5 inches of lift and, after 2 years of use, they seem to operate just fine. I have another pair for the rear, but so far haven't had the need to fit them. They do say they're not for lifting, but, hey, I'm happy not to have to use ramps.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:56 PM   #27

THOR #20220
Quote:
Yep, I've 7000lb ones and yes, I can get 4 or 5 inches of lift and, after 2 years of use, they seem to operate just fine. I have another pair for the rear, but so far haven't had the need to fit them. They do say they're not for lifting, but, hey, I'm happy not to have to use ramps.
Good to know!
Old 12-30-2021, 04:06 PM   #28

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Where did you mount the front ones on your 25.2. The best scissor jacks are made by some company in Memphis Tennessee I’ve had several mechanics tell me but I don’t know the name since I’ve never shopped for them
Old 12-30-2021, 07:09 PM   #29

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Where did you mount the front ones on your 25.2. The best scissor jacks are made by some company in Memphis Tennessee I’ve had several mechanics tell me but I don’t know the name since I’ve never shopped for them
SET 4 LIBRA TRUE 7500 LB HEAVY DUTY 24″ RV TRAILER STABILIZER LEVELING SCISSOR JACKS W/POWER DRILL SOCKET & FULL INSTALL KIT 26060 147.00 Memphis Tennessee
Old 12-31-2021, 03:25 PM   #30

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
They're just behind the front wheels, directly on the chassis, not enough room in front of the front wheels without making brackets. I did have to improve the crank handle by making it a little longer although I use a battery drill for most of the lowering/raising
Old 12-31-2021, 03:46 PM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
They're just behind the front wheels, directly on the chassis, not enough room in front of the front wheels without making brackets. I did have to improve the crank handle by making it a little longer although I use a battery drill for most of the lowering/raising
Yeah that is a much better place for front jacks than where mine are mounted.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote