Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2021, 04:18 AM   #41
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Another option I'll toss in...

I've been thinking about installing a 32" TV in the provided bedroom "wall slot". To avoid installing/using an inverter, I gravitated toward a 12 volt DC TV, but they're at a premium over typical 120 volt AC TVs. I also don't want to run the genny for "evening TV time".

So... I figured out a MUCH easier way... a mini projector and retractable wall mount screen. There's a TON of options for 1080p projectors... some even rechargeable. The projectors typically handle both WiFi and Bluetooth - some even have an HDMI port, so streaming from phone or internet is possible.

The most attractive part is this setup is relatively cheap, and installation looks like a breeze. Anyone else tried this option??
We did projector movie nights in the house before large LED flatscreens became so affordable. Even did outdoor movies at the campground with the projector and a sheet against the Travel Trailer.

I just picked up one of those sub $100 projectors you referenced from Amazon on a Black Friday flash deal but haven't tried it out yet.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:34 AM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
No inverter in coach. There's 120 volts at the TV mount location, but requires shore power or generator. The screens are cheap, and I don't relish tacking a white sheet up to the wall. Those DC projectors draw very few amps, especially when you go direct, and not converting DC to AC with an inverter, then converting it back to DC...

12 volts is readily available to tap into just about anywhere in the coach - which makes for a neat install. My plan is to mount on the bottom of the cabinets over the head of the bed.
When you finish all your homework let me know which projector you go with? I got worn out with all of the options relative to price and some off brand I never heard of. I do know a quality picture and ability to watch during daylight is something I wanted.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:20 AM   #43

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
We did projector movie nights in the house before large LED flatscreens became so affordable. Even did outdoor movies at the campground with the projector and a sheet against the Travel Trailer.

I just picked up one of those sub $100 projectors you referenced from Amazon on a Black Friday flash deal but haven't tried it out yet.
When you check it out, please post back with an opinion!
Old 12-10-2021, 05:23 AM   #44

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
When you finish all your homework let me know which projector you go with? I got worn out with all of the options relative to price and some off brand I never heard of. I do know a quality picture and ability to watch during daylight is something I wanted.
We rarely watch TV during the day unless it's pouring rain and we're stuck inside. TV time is usually late evening. If we did, I'd rig up some blackout shades for the bedroom windows.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:38 AM   #45

THOR #13058
Quote:
We rarely watch TV during the day unless it's pouring rain and we're stuck inside. TV time is usually late evening. If we did, I'd rig up some blackout shades for the bedroom windows.
and how do you tailgate during the day games

also there have been times based on the way I had to park my RV at campsites; I could not watch my outdoor TV well because of direct sun glare. With the nicer projectors, I could setup on the opposite of RV (or back) and be back in business.

I know you are talking for inside MBR; but I wouldn't need the projector for inside. We will often project at home on an outside wall in the backyard with the RV on what we call the Sunstar patio, but like I said, I have one of the older projector's that just won't die and I keep trying to use versus upgrading. You giving me ideas though
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-10-2021, 07:56 AM   #46

State: New York
THOR #18343
Yes & No

Quote:
Did you buy your RV used?

Universal remotes are available on Amazon for about $6 each.
Purchased used as new! Previous owner only owned it for 2 months & 700 miles.
Looked at a few universal remotes but none listed Axxera?
Old 12-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #47

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ctv-19153.html

This took me 6 seconds to find with a google search.
Duck & Scuba, I use a Roku streaming soundbar with the Roku remote that’s supposed to pair with the Axxera tv. It’s plugged into the correct hdmi. After giving up I texted with Roku and Axxera. Was told by both no pairing code. But when I want to kill some time shouting at the crappy Axxera tv, I’ll go and experiment with all these codes. Hope it’ll only take a 6 pack.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:19 PM   #48

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Tuscany came with Sony led for the three smaller units and a Visio 60 inch, all smart

At the homes we have all Samsung oled and the only TV that doesn't quite get it is the Visio

It has a decent picture though

No issues with any and we use mostly Bose soundbars but one Samsung due to space between the mantle supports

I agree with the thought that whatever works for you go with it

At the sticks and bricks fiber has been the best thing as an upgrade

Still use the Traveler and DirecTV in the Tuscany as most areas we camp in have poor or no wifi

Did try the Tuscany Sony led in the bedroom and the blu ray to see if it worked, hasn't been on in 6 years

TV is for late night, snow or rain

Out of several hundred channels i find about 10 fit to watch
Old 12-10-2021, 12:43 PM   #49

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
and how do you tailgate during the day games

also there have been times based on the way I had to park my RV at campsites; I could not watch my outdoor TV well because of direct sun glare. With the nicer projectors, I could setup on the opposite of RV (or back) and be back in business.

I know you are talking for inside MBR; but I wouldn't need the projector for inside. We will often project at home on an outside wall in the backyard with the RV on what we call the Sunstar patio, but like I said, I have one of the older projector's that just won't die and I keep trying to use versus upgrading. You giving me ideas though
We have an audio video store by us and they were showing a 4k projector that sat about 3 inches away from the wall I think it was projecting about 100 inches. I'll try to look it up today. I could have got this instead of the 50 inch 4k tv because I have a large table under the tv for the sound bar I could have put the projector right on the table
Old 12-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #50

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
I called when I got back in the projector is 3,500 and does up to 103 inches. I asked about a projector at around max of 600 dollars and they said you might as well be looking at a tv set from the 1960s it would look like pure junk. I'm sure because they only do high end work by us that they might be a little biased. I remember over the years seeing projectors at some of the campgrounds we were at and it wouldn't be the type of picture I would like to watch on a daily basis. I'm happy with my smart 4k tv connected to Dish. I get a great picture. This place I called Is Prime Time audio video, he told me that Samsung has outdoor TV's that don't have the glare like our TV's do and are much brighter than indoor TV's. I think I'm going to look for a new mount for my outdoor tv that can be tipped down to lower the glare I get all the time. If that doesn't work I'll be looking for a better outdoor TV
Old 12-10-2021, 04:12 PM   #51

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/Optoma-Projec...84TSNVRJ&psc=1

I have an older version of this projector. We chose it because few folk whine more than video gamers about picture quality and refresh rate, and they seemed satisfied with it.
We have the rechargable 3d glasses and the whole kit.(we used them twice)

It has to be just under 30ft away to get a 8ft high by whatever wide that is.
We watch 16:9(is that right?) movies on it. It has a full on smart tv circuit in it so adding Amazon and youtube was easy. Lots of ports for roku and firestick.

Keep in mind the intensity of a projector lamp at the 7 feet+- distance you'll be. It'll be absolutely BLINDING inside any darker space and potentially not adjustable brightness other than a few lumen. It will be dim and washed out anywhere light strikes the picture.
And it might be only a 24 inch super saturated picture.

You've all been in a theater when they've turned the lights up. Even their projectors fade to nothing.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #52

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Optoma-Projec...84TSNVRJ&psc=1

I have an older version of this projector. We chose it because few folk whine more than video gamers about picture quality and refresh rate, and they seemed satisfied with it.
We have the rechargable 3d glasses and the whole kit.(we used them twice)

It has to be just under 30ft away to get a 8ft high by whatever wide that is.
We watch 16:9(is that right?) movies on it. It has a full on smart tv circuit in it so adding Amazon and youtube was easy. Lots of ports for roku and firestick.

We have six pairs of the Samsung 3D Active Glasses, I think only 4 were ever used? We tried so hard to like those things. They worked; but were painful and hard on the eyes.

When I come to Arizona, I will be sure to bring them. After we feast with your Scotch & Steaks; I may gift them to you on your front door steps when we leave. I wouldn't want you to feel guilty and try to be nice by giving them back or anything
Old 10-02-2022, 11:35 PM   #53

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
New to Thor with AXXERA TVs

I just purchased a 2018 Thor ACE 3.3. It was a great deal on a unit with only 3.900 miles. The 3 AXXERA TVs still work but the remotes only work intermittently. I am hoping it is a battery issue. As soon as I get fresh AAA batteries I'll know for sure. Based on what I am reading in this thread I will not be surprised to find that I need to replace the TVs altogether.

Now for another question. Does anyone know where the Winegard signal booster is located in the 2018 ACE 30.3?

Old 10-03-2022, 12:19 AM   #54
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
I just purchased a 2018 Thor ACE 3.3. It was a great deal on a unit with only 3.900 miles. The 3 AXXERA TVs still work but the remotes only work intermittently. I am hoping it is a battery issue. As soon as I get fresh AAA batteries I'll know for sure. Based on what I am reading in this thread I will not be surprised to find that I need to replace the TVs altogether.

Now for another question. Does anyone know where the Winegard signal booster is located in the 2018 ACE 30.3?

Look inside your cabinets, probably in the one right next to the TV.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:37 AM   #55

State: New York
THOR #18343
Quote:
Did you buy your RV used?

Universal remotes are available on Amazon for about $6 each.
2 months old when we bought it! The original buyer traded it back after two months cause it was too heavy!
Old 10-03-2022, 02:28 AM   #56

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
I looked in all the cabinets near the antenna rotation control this is just above the one of the three TVs. In my old RV that is where the booster switch was located, and that was nowhere near the TV.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2022, 10:21 AM   #57

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post

Look way in the back of the cabinet over the microwave. I guess you’re talking about the over the air antenna signal booster. Should be some other rolled up wires for DVD player as well.
Old 07-21-2023, 03:46 AM   #58

State: California
THOR #26585
Axxera TV quit

So we put purchased our Thor/Coleman Class C EQF22 in June 2021. Love it, it's great. Workmanship left ALOT to be desired (sawdust underneath every cabinet, drawer and compartment/loose shades mounts that literally pulled out of the wall etc) but I am good at being a handyman and the warranty line at Camping World is WAY too long.
The radio and TV are junk, pure trash. The TV just quit, all I get is sound. That's it. Does anyone know what the white wire is that is behind the cabinet and apparently is connected to the TV?
I'm going to throw this TV away and replace it but I need to know what that white wire with connector is. Not taking it back to Camping World either, not a fan.
Thank you!
Old 07-21-2023, 03:57 AM   #59
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
So we put purchased our Thor/Coleman Class C EQF22 in June 2021. Love it, it's great. Workmanship left ALOT to be desired (sawdust underneath every cabinet, drawer and compartment/loose shades mounts that literally pulled out of the wall etc) but I am good at being a handyman and the warranty line at Camping World is WAY too long.
The radio and TV are junk, pure trash. The TV just quit, all I get is sound. That's it. Does anyone know what the white wire is that is behind the cabinet and apparently is connected to the TV?
I'm going to throw this TV away and replace it but I need to know what that white wire with connector is. Not taking it back to Camping World either, not a fan.
Thank you!
White wire? What port is it connected to on the TV?
Could be:

Power
HDMI
Cable TV
Optical Audio
USB to LED Lighting
Old 07-21-2023, 04:12 AM   #60

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
Thank you!
Pictures?

A lot of people buy brand new luxury cars and immediately replace the mats because they view the OEM mats as junk. You got 2 years out that TV, and that ain't all bad.

I was glad my main TV broke, they offered to replace under warranty, but I bought a very nice Samsung with wifi and bluetooth.

Take a bad situation and make it a positive story for what you like. Be Happy