Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2021, 02:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Missouri
THOR #20002
Before or after ?

OK here's my question!
Do you level the motorhome first or do you extend your full side side out first and then set your leveling jacks ?

Thanks, Mark

Old 10-22-2021, 02:19 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Levelers first, then slides.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:26 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I level then extend. What does your owners manual say?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:37 AM   #4

Model: XG 32 Omni
THOR #4243
Level then extend.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:57 AM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Level then extend.
If by chance extending the slide affects the level then level to your liking manually then follow the calibration sequence & recalibrate to that position, this will then level to that position in the future.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:05 PM   #6

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Level then extend.
If by chance extending the slide affects the level then level to your liking manually then follow the calibration sequence & recalibrate to that position, this will then level to that position in the future.
Leveling systems tend to be area rather than point. Think hand grenade vs rifle shot. The level position after it says I'm level can vary which is why I manually level with a torpedo level set on the floor. It was that way with my DP and HWH, toy hauler with LCI Level Up, and the Omni with Ultra Level. The HWH tended to be the most accurate consistently though. Get familiar with the resetting of "level" because you will find you need to do it occasionally.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:08 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Level first. Reason being is that you don’t want to put stress on slide motors/gears/teeth by running slides out if not level. In mine, I have to have engine running to use levelers. And the slides won’t extend with engine running. So the system forces me to do things in the correct order. And when leaving, retract slides first, then retract levelers. And if Schwintek electric slides, always hold switch 3 to 5 seconds after both extending or retracting to keep the motors synced. In addition, I manually level. Auto sends rear jacks down and sometimes causes front tires to lift off ground. Not good. I see many motor homes at campgrounds with front tires up in the air. Not good.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:47 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Throw another vote on the "Level: then extend" pile...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
All the same answers as the last time this question was asked, what; about a month ago? Does Thor not put these stickers in the newer MHs?

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #10

THOR #6903
On some of the other forums there are those that swear about extending first.

Logic and engineering would tell you to level first.

I always manual level and use a combo of the built in circular indicator, arrows, and 1/2 bath door. I like the head of the bead an inch or two higher

Worked well for many years
Old 10-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSegelle View Post
OK here's my question!
Do you level the motorhome first or do you extend your full side side out first and then set your leveling jacks ?

Thanks, Mark
There are current three different slide mechanisms being used by the major manufactures. Schwintek by LCI is the most common and is named "In-Wall" slides because the slide mechanism is located in the coach's walls and rollers under the slide roll on the coaches floor. These in-wall slides require the coach to be level before operating. The engine should be running and the parking brake set to operate the jacks. Once level the ignition switch must be in the off position to operate the slides.

The second most common is the flush mounted, electrically powered slide where there is a geared track under the slide. The gears are on a common shaft and the tracks are fastened to the underside of the slide and contain ball bearings so the slide moves easily. The manufacturer installs the slides with the coach on air bags. Thus recommends the coach be on the bags when the slides are moved. To extend the jacks the key must be removed from the ignition, then the bags will deflate and the jacks level the coach.
Finally there is the in-floor straight out and the in-floor level out. These are hydraulically powered and made by HWH and LCI they are found on the more expensive coaches and require the engine running on bags to extend the slides. After the slides are out and the bags deflated the coach may be leveled using the jacks.

New to the world is air leveling where the bags are used to level the coach and there are no jacks. As small electric air pump is used to keep the coach level when the engine is not running.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:46 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
There are current three different slide mechanisms being used by the major manufactures. Schwintek by LCI is the most common and is named "In-Wall" slides because the slide mechanism is located in the coach's walls and rollers under the slide roll on the coaches floor. These in-wall slides require the coach to be level before operating. The engine should be running and the parking brake set to operate the jacks. Once level the ignition switch must be in the off position to operate the slides.

The second most common is the flush mounted, electrically powered slide where there is a geared track under the slide. The gears are on a common shaft and the tracks are fastened to the underside of the slide and contain ball bearings so the slide moves easily. The manufacturer installs the slides with the coach on air bags. Thus recommends the coach be on the bags when the slides are moved. To extend the jacks the key must be removed from the ignition, then the bags will deflate and the jacks level the coach.
Finally there is the in-floor straight out and the in-floor level out. These are hydraulically powered and made by HWH and LCI they are found on the more expensive coaches and require the engine running on bags to extend the slides. After the slides are out and the bags deflated the coach may be leveled using the jacks.

New to the world is air leveling where the bags are used to level the coach and there are no jacks. As small electric air pump is used to keep the coach level when the engine is not running.
I have an in floor slide and it does not require engine running to extend or retract. In fact with key turned on my slides are locked and cannot be operated.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:52 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
You read the owner’s manual and do as they recommend.

My rig allows either way and this was verified with Entegra. I do however level then extend the slides.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:20 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
I've done it both ways, just experimenting, and it doesn't seem to matter. Thor doesn't offer jacks on my RV, just stabilizers, so it makes sense that it should work whether or not it's totally level. I added the jacks later (Bigfoot). Usually I'll put the jacks down first. My slide is small and relatively lightweight.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:38 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Michigan
THOR #23904
Motorhome I level first & then slides like my sticker says. When we had a travel trailer I leveled but leveled a little high on the long slide side because it usually weighed it down a little when it was out all the way.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:43 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
You read the owner’s manual and do as they recommend.

My rig allows either way and this was verified with Entegra. I do however level then extend the slides.
I have not toured a factory that makes FED coaches. Entegra REDs use a Spartan chassis with an electric gear drive and rack system. I am not familiar with the Freightliner FED chassis or what Entegra uses for slides. Generally the object is to ensure the chassis is not racked when moving the slides. Minor tilt does not seem to effect the slide's operations. Entegra RED's factory installs the slides with the bags aired up as does the Newmar's RED on Freightliner chassis. I cannot speak to Winnebago, as I was last though the factory 2002. I know that Thor factories use different slides on different coach lines. For instance Thor plant 850 uses LCI's In-Wall slides on Palazzo and Aria but LCI's hydraulic slides on the Venetian and Tuscany. I assume it is the same with Entegra.

Out of curiosity do you have a IFS front or solid axle. I guess that could explain some differences as does the extremely stiff, HD chassis.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:08 AM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I have not toured a factory that makes FED coaches. Entegra REDs use a Spartan chassis with an electric gear drive and rack system. I am not familiar with the Freightliner FED chassis or what Entegra uses for slides. Generally the object is to ensure the chassis is not racked when moving the slides. Minor tilt does not seem to effect the slide's operations. Entegra RED's factory installs the slides with the bags aired up as does the Newmar's RED on Freightliner chassis. I cannot speak to Winnebago, as I was last though the factory 2002. I know that Thor factories use different slides on different coach lines. For instance Thor plant 850 uses LCI's In-Wall slides on Palazzo and Aria but LCI's hydraulic slides on the Venetian and Tuscany. I assume it is the same with Entegra.

Out of curiosity do you have a IFS front or solid axle. I guess that could explain some differences as does the extremely stiff, HD chassis.
Detroit Diesel I Beam front axle rated at 10,000 lbs. My Accolade is on a Freightliner S2RV 106 Cab chassis.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #18

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
All the same answers as the last time this question was asked, what; about a month ago? Does Thor not put these stickers in the newer MHs?

My 2019 does not have those stickers.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:44 AM   #19

THOR #6903
Raising jacks prior to bringing in slides can create a significant impact when the hydraulic fluid is returning to the reservoir.

The more uneven the lot the larger impact when the frame drops.

I always bring the slides in before retracting jacks. Same logic as leveling prior to extending them. Reduced stress on the slides overall.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
My 2019 does not have those stickers.
If not, I’ll wager the info is in the owner’s manual if folks would take a minute of their time to open it.

The issue on mine is the owner’s manual states doing it both ways in different sections and that is why I went to the experts, Entegra not this forum, for the definitive answer. There response was either way is good for my rig.

My prior Thor’s manual was specific level then extend, retract slides then raise jacks.