Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2020, 10:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis
State: North Carolina
THOR #3400
bird & trombetta

I've owned a 2016 Axis since 12/15 & have had to replace the bird & the trombetta 3 times each at different intervals. The last time was over a year ago so I assumed the phantom problem of not charging the chassis battery when plugged in was solved. WRONG......I keep it plugged in year round so last week I moved it closer to the house to load it for a Florida winter & it happened again. My house batteries are 100%, the radio won't play, the front shade won't move & the engine won't even try & start. Otherwise everything operates fine.
I've met quite a few other Axis/Vegas owners who've experienced the same issue.
Anyone know how to fix it???

Old 11-27-2020, 10:57 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
What happens when you turn on the coach 'use/store' switch and then use the aux start button to try starting the engine?

What happens when you try to crank the generator?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:16 PM   #3

THOR #3400
bird & trombetta

The store switch is always on "use" since I keep it plugged in. As the generator works off the house batteries it's no problem. The aux. start does nothing.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:27 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by shspector View Post
The store switch is always on "use" since I keep it plugged in. As the generator works off the house batteries it's no problem. The aux. start does nothing.
When you hold down the aux start does it make a pretty scary loud double click?

Amazon sells, and I bought one but have yet to install it, a remote control electric activated battery cutoff switch.
I think I paid $40.
Installed on the engine battery positive cable, you'll never have this problem again.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:58 AM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Apparently the BIRD/Trombetta relays installed on that coach are a POS. Sometime about 2018 Thor started installing a better mouse trap, a BIRD made by Precision Circuits.

Precision's website is a bit obtuse but I think that this product is a drop in replacement for the older Intellitec BIRD: https://precisioncircuitsinc.com/pro...lok-connector/

This is the 225 amp version and they also make one rated for !60 amps. They also have a lithium version and I have no clue how it may be different- their spec sheet talks about limiting charging to one hour. Don't know how that works.

BIRD by the way stands for Battery Isolation Relay Delay or maybe Device and is a generic term. Trombetta is the name of the company that makes the latching relay used in BIRDs supplied by Intellitec.

David
Old 11-28-2020, 11:38 AM   #6

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Pretty common for the Trombetta solenoid to fail but no much for the BIRD

Lots of threads about the solenoids and alternatives
Old 11-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #7

THOR #3400
When the problem occurs I put a volt meter on both sides of the trombetta & one side shows 13.4 & the other side is much less. After I charge the chassis battery with my external charge both sides read the same & everything works fine.
My problem is, I don't know which part failed.....the BIRD or the solenoid?
Is there a way to test either one to determine which one needs replacing?
Old 11-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Yes, If the solenoid is activated and you have the voltage difference the main contacts are bad. If there is no voltage to activate the solenoid when conditions call for it to be activated, there is a problem with the BIRD. If there is activation voltage and the solenoid does not engage, the solenoid is bad. As previously mentioned, the solenoid is usually the failure item. Replace it with a heavy duty, continuous duty, low activating current, high pass-through current solenoid. It doesn't have to be a Trombetta brand.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Time for a song...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #10

THOR #3400
Bird is the word

Funny, I've been singing that song since we first replaced the BIRD 3 yrs ago.
You must be as old as me!
Old 11-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Trust me: I feel older...

Glad to bring you a smile!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Okay guys, I can tell by the thread that I may be out of my league here. I have a 2015 Hurricane 27K on the F53 chassis and my coach batteries no longer charge by the chassis charging system (alternator). I get lost with the talk of BIRD and Trombetta. I have not been able to find anything on my rig to compare with. A friend with a newer (2016 I Think) coach looked at it and could not find it because it is different than his. Does anyone know what I probably have on a 2015 27K and where it is located? The only relay I have located is for the Use/Store switch and is located under the dinette seat on the 27K. Is there another thread that I should be reading?

Thank you,
Bruce
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Okay guys, I can tell by the thread that I may be out of my league here. I have a 2015 Hurricane 27K on the F53 chassis and my coach batteries no longer charge by the chassis charging system (alternator). I get lost with the talk of BIRD and Trombetta. I have not been able to find anything on my rig to compare with. A friend with a newer (2016 I Think) coach looked at it and could not find it because it is different than his. Does anyone know what I probably have on a 2015 27K and where it is located? The only relay I have located is for the Use/Store switch and is located under the dinette seat on the 27K. Is there another thread that I should be reading?

Thank you,
Bruce

Try this one Bruce:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...ies-24100.html
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:36 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
That helped a lot. I ordered the stock Trombetta for $22 on Amazon, now if mine is the same as his, and that is my problem, yadda, yadda, yadda, I will have it made. I wish it were like the old days. You have a bad part, take it off and head to the store and find something that works. Thanks again. BTW, if anyone needs it, I have the Trombetta spec sheet with part number specs. Trombetta has an upgrade, Full Silver PowerBar but I couldn't find one I could get quickly.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:20 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Thank you,
Bruce
Plant 750 generally puts the BIRD in the very back of the battery compartment. It is mounted high on the forward compartment wall next to the drive shaft just behind the transmission. The Trombetta control circuity module is mounted there also. It is usually hidden behind the battery cables and the circuit breakers.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:12 PM   #16

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Texas
THOR #13383
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Apparently the BIRD/Trombetta relays installed on that coach are a POS. Sometime about 2018 Thor started installing a better mouse trap, a BIRD made by Precision Circuits.

Precision's website is a bit obtuse but I think that this product is a drop in replacement for the older Intellitec BIRD: https://precisioncircuitsinc.com/pro...lok-connector/

This is the 225 amp version and they also make one rated for !60 amps. They also have a lithium version and I have no clue how it may be different- their spec sheet talks about limiting charging to one hour. Don't know how that works.

BIRD by the way stands for Battery Isolation Relay Delay or maybe Device and is a generic term. Trombetta is the name of the company that makes the latching relay used in BIRDs supplied by Intellitec.

David
I installed the BIM 225 two years ago and it has worked great. I too have a 2016 Axis built in late 2015.....
Old 09-19-2023, 04:01 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Oklahoma
THOR #6508
link to replacement trombetta is file 404...not found
Old 09-19-2023, 04:06 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
link to replacement trombetta is file 404...not found
Link below works just fine. Check your browser settings.