Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2022, 10:35 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Your coax cables go through splitters and to each TV directly, not through the HDMI box. Change the input on the TV menu and you can search for the cable channels.
This is the answer you are looking for. Actually the HDMI setup is nice if you have a satellite receiver or over the air device such as Channel Master or Tivo. These devices all have HDMI outputs that you can connect to a user installed HDMI switcher with the output of that switcher going to the HDMI combiner that Thor installed. We love this setup because what ever we are watching will be on all three televisions. As has been pointed out you must have the television input selected to the correct input for what you want to watch. If all the televisions are on the same HDMI input as the Thor installed HDMI combiner then you will be watching what ever you have connected to the input of that combiner on all the televisions. In our case it is a HDMI switcher so we can select either the Dish Wally, the Channel Master Over the Air receiver, or the Amazon Fire Stick. If we want to watch something on the park cable connected to the external input then each individual television must have the input changed to TV and then use the menu to scan for available channels. If we are trying to receive over the air channels direct with the roof antennal then we must use the menu to select Air and scan. This must be done on each television individually. We have modified the coax system so we can use the external input for either a satellite dish or the park cable.

Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:35 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
This is the answer you are looking for. Actually the HDMI setup is nice if you have a satellite receiver or over the air device such as Channel Master or Tivo. These devices all have HDMI outputs that you can connect to a user installed HDMI switcher with the output of that switcher going to the HDMI combiner that Thor installed. We love this setup because what ever we are watching will be on all three televisions. As has been pointed out you must have the television input selected to the correct input for what you want to watch. If all the televisions are on the same HDMI input as the Thor installed HDMI combiner then you will be watching what ever you have connected to the input of that combiner on all the televisions. In our case it is a HDMI switcher so we can select either the Dish Wally, the Channel Master Over the Air receiver, or the Amazon Fire Stick. If we want to watch something on the park cable connected to the external input then each individual television must have the input changed to TV and then use the menu to scan for available channels. If we are trying to receive over the air channels direct with the roof antennal then we must use the menu to select Air and scan. This must be done on each television individually. We have modified the coax system so we can use the external input for either a satellite dish or the park cable.

See post #12. The OP said he had both Coax & HDMI cables connected to both TVs?

Also, assuming the same logic you deduced, the OP was questioning THOR as to why did they EVEN installed the Coax Source connections?

The answers provided above convey that he can actually have both types of sources as inputs to any of his TVs. Which is a benefit from Thor or any RV Mfg that design the coach wiring that way.

From zeelarry...
Went and looked it over & yep coaxial along with HDMI are on the TVs. What a shame Thor doesn't put the information in their Owner's Manual.
I've been RVing for over 20 years in Class As & Cs, and have never had such a configuration.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:54 PM   #23

THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Correct myself: The HDMI combiner is actually a splitter.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:16 AM   #24

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
We are at the campsite right now, watching netflix on the bedroom TV. The HDMI port is on her side of the bed and not in the front of coach. Just plug the Roku device there and search for an internet signal. Set the bedroom TV to HDMI 1.

We couldnt track down the inlet HDMI cable port that attached to the TV in the bedroom for weeks, after purchase.

I asked CW, there is an HDMI cable attached to TV but we cant find the origin of the cable...??

CW took apart the RV.

I called THOR and the electrician said. HDMI port for bedroom TV next to bed in aft area. .....Thanks THOR

The other 2 HDMI cables to the main and outside TV are from the DVD player over the dinette.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:17 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #19693
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I got no dog in the fight, but you sure seem hell bent to bag on TMC for something that should have been basic knowledge. Originally you questioned why they even installed the Antenna/Cable connections? Upon getting the reason why; you switched to lack of documentation

Based on your own testimony you have 20 years experience in Class A & Class Cs. What kind of RVs did you have for last 20 years that did not have Antenna / cable connections and coax cables wired to the TVs?

If anything, I would think you would be complimenting TMC because your RV has HDMI in addition to standard coax . Not all RVs come prewired with HDMI. In fact, none of the SOB models I looked at like mine in Texas came with HDMI prewired. When I was shopping for RV; I remember the HDMI Switcher came standard with the Windsport/Hurricanes. That was a BENEFIT that I did not see in my SOB 29VE. I wanted it so badly I asked how much to add the HDMI into a SOB 29VE and one Dealer said they couldn't do because of the slide, an another wanted $2,000 to wired HDMI to all 3 TVs. Something about having to remove the slide As fate have it, I got lucky and found a newer model v2 (same year) of SOB 29VE in Port St. Lucie FL that came with HDMI prewired with Switcher along with a ton of other things I immediately put my butt on a plane and bought that coach without blinking. I didn't have 20 years of RV experience, but I knew what I had bought. I can't imagine going on a Winnebago forum bagging on Wi8nebago because I didn't know how to use the Coax cable inputs or worse complaining that I did not have the AC instructions Asking a question to get how to answers would have been fair game. From what you learned, you got more than you knew and/or expected, isn't that an atta boy for TMC

You sir are very rude….
My husband was asking for help.. He is retired military with 100% DAV, he was the executive officer for the Nation Guard General at the Pentagon… he is not dumb, but he has difficulties due to his LVAD heart pump. I suggested he come on here and ask, but you are the type that give forums a bad rap. We have had 2 40’ diesel pushers, then downsized to a Thor Delano 2 years ago because he can no longer drive, I do the driving…. just a month ago bought a bit bigger Thor Quantum ws31… he was not ‘’bagging’’ on Thor, just asking for help….

We live in Florida as well now… I hope you sir have a happy life…
RVM#64
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:28 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
You sir are very rude….

My husband was asking for help.. He is retired military with 100% DAV, he was the executive officer for the Nation Guard General at the Pentagon… he is not dumb, but he has difficulties due to his LVAD heart pump. I suggested he come on here and ask, but you are the type that give forums a bad rap. We have had 2 40’ diesel pushers, then downsized to a Thor Delano 2 years ago because he can no longer drive, I do the driving…. just a month ago bought a bit bigger Thor Quantum ws31… he was not ‘’bagging’’ on Thor, just asking for help….

There are a couple folks on here who chime-in on just about every thread. Same tone, approach and attitude every time. Been there, done that, know soo much blah blah. Super turn-off. If we all just knew everything, there would be no need for a forum like this.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:06 AM   #27

THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
You sir are very rude….

If you still need help send me a private message and I will give you my phone number and do my best to talk you through your problems.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:26 PM   #28

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #19693
Picked up coach yesterday after warranty work…. Axerra radio had a wire off in the back… ac vents over the bunk had never been connected…. We are taking it out next week…. Thanks to those who submitted helpful answers. We need more people like you in our world.
RVM#64
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 01:52 PM   #29

Model: Quantum kw29
THOR #20213
Hi, Bob, maybe you can help me too, we have an 2021 kw29, three tvs, and the main Tv will not work as well as the others, fuzz, will only scan half the channels, etc. I had a Rv repair man out, and he could not find the splitter, he even call Thor, so we ran a cable from the control box ( wall power button ) that has a cable input, over to the TV, and it works great now, does not look so good, lol, the rv tech thinks is a back tv splitter, ??? and it must be in the wall somewhere. Any ideas? btw, we live in east Tennessee, near Sevierville. thanks for your help, take care.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:24 AM   #30

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat911 View Post
Hi, Bob, maybe you can help me too, we have an 2021 kw29, three tvs, and the main Tv will not work as well as the others, fuzz, will only scan half the channels, etc. I had a Rv repair man out, and he could not find the splitter, he even call Thor, so we ran a cable from the control box ( wall power button ) that has a cable input, over to the TV, and it works great now, does not look so good, lol, the rv tech thinks is a back tv splitter, ??? and it must be in the wall somewhere. Any ideas? btw, we live in east Tennessee, near Sevierville. thanks for your help, take care.
I'm not positive about your rig, but many times the splitter is behind the plate with the power antenna switch.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:20 AM   #31

THOR #21926
Quote:
Not sure on your coach but on our 2022 JM31 the coax splitter is under the bed where the water tank is. I only live a few miles from you so I could come by and take a look. We live in Corryton. You can send me a private message with your contact information if you would like me to take a look.

More than likely it is not a bad splitter but an improperly installed F-connector or a pinched RG-6 cable. The first thing to do would be to find the splitter and using a Coax Trace tester (which I have) find the one that goes to the main television and then double check the F-connectors at each end. Also make sure that both shield and center conductor have good continuity. I can easily replace the F-connectors if there is room to work. My cable tester also has a 50 ohm terminator that can be pushed on one end and the cable can be tested for continuity.
Old 05-29-2022, 01:20 PM   #32

Model: Quantum kw29
THOR #20213
Bob, thanks so much, when we get back from our trip, I will get in touch with you, take care, Pat
Old 05-30-2022, 09:37 AM   #33

THOR #21926
Quote:
Bob, thanks so much, when we get back from our trip, I will get in touch with you, take care, Pat
Sure Pat. We have a few trips scheduled but we should be able to find a time when we are both home.
Old 06-12-2022, 01:22 PM   #34

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #24841
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelarry View Post
Okay, just bought a Quantum WS31. I have the outside connection for cable. Inside, I have the usual cable/antenna connection. Nww, here's the problem. All the TVs connections [next to the incoming coaxial connection] are on an HDMI panel. The panel only accepts HDMI input, NO COAXIAL.

So, how do I connect the incoming coaxial cable to the HDMI panel/box that goes to the TVs?
Get a coaxial to HDMI adapter
Old 06-12-2022, 02:20 PM   #35
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traina View Post
Get a coaxial to HDMI adapter
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD