Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2022, 09:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum WS31
State: Florida
THOR #19764
Cable Coaxial to HDMI

Okay, just bought a Quantum WS31. I have the outside connection for cable. Inside, I have the usual cable/antenna connection. Nww, here's the problem. All the TVs connections [next to the incoming coaxial connection] are on an HDMI panel. The panel only accepts HDMI input, NO COAXIAL.

So, how do I connect the incoming coaxial cable to the HDMI panel/box that goes to the TVs?

Old 05-03-2022, 11:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
You don't: two different signal types, two different transmission protocols.

A Coax cable transfers multiple modulated, high frequency signals from a source (OTA Antenna or Cable Company amplifier) to the coax input for the tuner on the TV which can demodulate different channels and extract the video/audio signals.

An HDMI cable transfers a single digital audio/video signal at much lower frequencies from the AV source (DVD player, PS, Phone, etc) to the HDMI input on a TV or Monitor which displays the source's AV content.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:49 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
This may work

HDMI RF Modulator Coax Adapter 1080P Input Coaxial Output Converter with Male F Type Cord for Roku Fire Stick VCR PS3 PS4 PS5 Xbox Game Console Set-top Cable Box HD Digital to VHF Analog Signal Old TV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W58PNPP...DNDFAPH1V8B1XX
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220503-174826_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	37277  
Old 05-04-2022, 12:20 AM   #4

THOR #19764
Ouch

Thanks for the replies.

I cannot understand how or why Thor would do such a thing. Why would they put in a cable connection on the outside. which cannot be connected to a central control box [since it is a HDMI connection]. Something is wrong with the design.

I was able to find many HDMI to RF coaxial adapters, but not the other way around. I need the coaxial to HDMI
Old 05-04-2022, 12:30 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelarry View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I cannot understand how or why Thor would do such a thing. Why would they put in a cable connection on the outside. which cannot be connected to a central control box [since it is a HDMI connection]. Something is wrong with the design.

I was able to find many HDMI to RF coaxial adapters, but not the other way around. I need the coaxial to HDMI
Because you could have both. If you got Cable connection outside it comes inside somewhere. The key is your TVs. Check them (the back) I suspect they have Coax cable already plugged/screwed in? If not; you could if you wanted to.

I have SOB and I have inside HDMI switcher and the Coax Cable connections. The coach was wired for them both meaning that I have HDMI wired to all three TVs and I have Coax wired to all 3 TVs. We never use a true cable connection, but before I got my T - Mobile Home Internet we would occasionally fire up the antenna to get local TV over coax.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 01:09 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Because you could have both. If you got Cable connection outside it comes inside somewhere. The key is your TVs. Check them (the back) I suspect they have Coax cable already plugged/screwed in? If not; you could if you wanted to.

I have SOB and I have inside HDMI switcher and the Coax Cable connections. The coach was wired for them both meaning that I have HDMI wired to all three TVs and I have Coax wired to all 3 TVs. We never use a true cable connection, but before I got my T - Mobile Home Internet we would occasionally fired up the antenna to get local TV over coax.
Same here. We have an external coax connection point, which terminates at a coax connector in a cabinet above the entrance door, with a short coax cable connected to the TV in the bunk over the cab. There is another coax termination point (connection) in the bedroom.

We also have a small Monoprice HDMI "distribution switch" in the over door cabinet, with HDMI cables connecting the bunk TV and to the bedroom.

It's really not as confusing as it sounds. If connected to campground coax, go to the TV's settings and select "coax" as source.

We use a Firestick for streaming, which is plugged into the Monoprice switch. If we want to watch that, we go to the TV's settings and select HDMI as source.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:31 AM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Same here. We have an external coax connection point, which terminates at a coax connector in a cabinet above the entrance door, with a short coax cable connected to the TV in the bunk over the cab. There is another coax termination point (connection) in the bedroom.

We also have a small Monoprice HDMI "distribution switch" in the over door cabinet, with HDMI cables connecting the bunk TV and to the bedroom.

It's really not as confusing as it sounds. If connected to campground coax, go to the TV's settings and select "coax" as source.

We use a Firestick for streaming, which is plugged into the Monoprice switch. If we want to watch that, we go to the TV's settings and select HDMI as source.
I suspect OP may have too, but maybe they ran short on Coax cable for the newer 2022 RVs?

I admit it took me some time to figure it out at first. The part that was confusing to me was the fact that the outside cable TV or Antenna used the exact same coax cable that was prewired to all 3 TVs Then I learned how to use the little booster switch that came with the King Antenna. That little green LED ON; then the source for coax on TVs is my Antenna on the roof. green LED OFF; it is for what ever is plugged in locally or at the outside compartment.

Bonus:
I have all of my prewired HDMI cables plugged into HDMI 1 on all three TVs. Such that when I watch Michigan beat Ohio State; I can see the exact same thing and exact same audio on all 3 TVs at the same time because my Ultra Roku is connected to the HDMI Switcher. 2 of the TVs (main TV & outside patio TV) have their own Roku box direct connected to the HDMI 2 port on back of the TV.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-04-2022, 01:58 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
59-51-6 with Jim Harbaugh smiling all the way to the bank...
Old 05-04-2022, 03:29 AM   #9

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Your coax cables go through splitters and to each TV directly, not through the HDMI box. Change the input on the TV menu and you can search for the cable channels.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:28 AM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Nothing wrong with Thor’s design. Hundreds of thousands of coaches out there working just fine.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:16 PM   #11

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Oh yeah, to receive cable, turn off your antenna booster switch.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:38 PM   #12

THOR #19764
THANKS & THANKS again. Went and looked it over & yep coaxial along with HDMI are on the TVs. What a shame Thor doesn't put the information in their Owner's Manual.
I've been RVing for over 20 years in Class As & Cs, and have never had such a
configuration .
Old 05-04-2022, 05:49 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
THANKS & THANKS again. Went and looked it over & yep coaxial along with HDMI are on the TVs. What a shame Thor doesn't put the information in their Owner's Manual.
configuration .
Could be Thor thinks folks are smart enough to figure things out.

The Army wrote manuals at the 5th grade level, should Thor do that as well? Personally I’d find that insulting.

BTW, if you ask Thor for the AV diagram for you coach you’d have the info.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:37 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
configuration .
Really? RV's with TVs have all been wired the same for 40 years; Class As. Class Cs, Travel Trailers, Fifth wheels.

The "NEW" kid in town is the A/V from a DVD/Blueray to some or all TVs through a switchbox which has nothing to do with the Cable connection from outside and the OTA antenna on the roof which have all been wired with COAX.

Old time VCRs and DVDs had the ability to RF modulate the signal and transfer the A/V over COAX to the TVs which had to be tuned to channel 3 or 4, but since the advent of composite A/V, component A/V, S-Video, and now HDMI, the A/V signal from the VCR/DVD/ETC had to go through a switch box which directed the A/V to a particular TV's A/V input (NOT COAX Input).
Not all RVs have this capability, but all RVs with TVs have had splitters on the COAX output for decades.
Old 05-04-2022, 11:44 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
configuration .
I got no dog in the fight, but you sure seem hell bent to bag on TMC for something that should have been basic knowledge. Originally you questioned why they even installed the Antenna/Cable connections? Upon getting the reason why; you switched to lack of documentation

Based on your own testimony you have 20 years experience in Class A & Class Cs. What kind of RVs did you have for last 20 years that did not have Antenna / cable connections and coax cables wired to the TVs?

If anything, I would think you would be complimenting TMC because your RV has HDMI in addition to standard coax . Not all RVs come prewired with HDMI. In fact, none of the SOB models I looked at like mine in Texas came with HDMI prewired. When I was shopping for RV; I remember the HDMI Switcher came standard with the Windsport/Hurricanes. That was a BENEFIT that I did not see in my SOB 29VE. I wanted it so badly I asked how much to add the HDMI into a SOB 29VE and one Dealer said they couldn't do because of the slide, an another wanted $2,000 to wired HDMI to all 3 TVs. Something about having to remove the slide As fate have it, I got lucky and found a newer model v2 (same year) of SOB 29VE in Port St. Lucie FL that came with HDMI prewired with Switcher along with a ton of other things I immediately put my butt on a plane and bought that coach without blinking. I didn't have 20 years of RV experience, but I knew what I had bought. I can't imagine going on a Winnebago forum bagging on Wi8nebago because I didn't know how to use the Coax cable inputs or worse complaining that I did not have the AC instructions Asking a question to get how to answers would have been fair game. From what you learned, you got more than you knew and/or expected, isn't that an atta boy for TMC
Old 05-05-2022, 12:59 AM   #16

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
You can refer to the THOR owners website and review the cable hook up. It took me 2 min to search and find. Do you have the owners website? The only issue i ever had was to find the HDMI port next to the bed was for the bedroom TV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2022-05-04_21-06-14.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	37293  
Old 05-05-2022, 01:12 AM   #17
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
You can refer to the THOR owners website and review the cable hook up. It took me 2 min to search and find. Do you have the owners website? The only issue i ever had was to find the HDMI port next to the bed was for the bedroom TV.
Well, that certainly confuses the issue. Why does it show the COAX going into an HDMI switcher?
Old 05-05-2022, 02:14 AM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Well, that certainly confuses the issue. Why does it show the COAX going into an HDMI switcher?
Wow, I thought I was Mr. Big with 3 TVs. That coach has 6 TVs I mean even I don't need to watch TV in a Hallway.

OP confirmed he has Coax & HDMI going to each TV. I am attaching a SOB drawing, because I suspect his wiring from cable/antenna boxes to TVs look like this.

For that TMC drawing to be true, everything would have to hit the TV via HDMI? Wonder if Thor has product to convert OTA Coax to RCA and then RCA to HDMI? I don't know what that quality would look like, but doubt it would be HDMI? Like taking Black & White TV Output through a magic converter an getting a 4k picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HDMI_Coax_wiring.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	37297  
Old 05-12-2022, 03:43 AM   #19

Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #14923
Could I watch Stanford beat Cal and UCLA beat USC on my ACE 27.2? That would be worth a 4th TV.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:52 AM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by richguess View Post
Could I watch Stanford beat Cal and UCLA beat USC on my ACE 27.2? That would be worth a 4th TV.
Golf Yes; otherwise you may need a Special Personal Sport Package from YourTubeTV