Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2021, 03:40 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #19288
Catalytic converter.

Just had mine stolen. Watch the thieves are out. And they are expensive about 2800 installed at the Ford dealer, since it's an dealer only item. LOCKEM UP

Old 05-21-2021, 03:55 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertirvine1 View Post
Just had mine stolen. Watch the thieves are out. And they are expensive about 2800 installed at the Ford dealer, since it's an dealer only item. LOCKEM UP
More info please?

i.e. Where was it parked? How long etc.?

How do you suggest we lock em up?

Does insurance help to cover? How long is the Ford dealer saying they need?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 04:16 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sorry that they caught up to you...
I like the idea of parking next to a fire ant community, and letting them eat whatever tries to get under your rig!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 04:21 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Oh no sorry to hear will check with local shop on a cage
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 04:22 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Oh! I think I found an Avatar for you...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1621614128
Attached Images

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 04:46 PM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
This Cat deterrent looks to be the easiest install (other than painting the Cat neon orange)
It's $129, made in USA and includes free ship.

https://www.catstrap.net/product-pag...m-shown-coiled

https://www.catstrap.net/catstrap-installation-tips
Old 05-21-2021, 04:52 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The thieves have been out for a couple of years at least. Must be at least a half-dozen threads on this forum alone warning about this problem with dozens of preventive solutions.

And I'm sure the catalytic converter is NOT a FORD ONLY supply item.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:50 PM   #8

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Sorry you became a victim. My friend posted a picture of his car (Fontana, California) few days ago in FB. His mom just happen to look outside their window and saw 2 guys with a floor jack, lifting up his car. His mom yelled out to my friend and asked him to go outside. The 2 guys left in a hurry. They left the Red floor jack still lifting the side of his car, in front of their house. The local PD took the floor jack as evidence and asked the neighbors for any camera footage recordings.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:20 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The thieves have been out for a couple of years at least. Must be at least a half-dozen threads on this forum alone warning about this problem with dozens of preventive solutions.

And I'm sure the catalytic converter is NOT a FORD ONLY supply item.

It is if you want an OE device. Though probably depending on how old your chassis is. When mine was lifted last November I discovered there was an extended and unspecified back order from Ford. The price was $1650 and needed a new O2 sensor for another $40. But installation is not required by Ford. In fact the OE converter is a simple DIY bolt in part. Or at least it is on my 2019 F53 ( which is actually an F550 but that’s another story....). At least my insurance covered it without any fuss. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:46 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I guess no Clamps! Steel Ties & Clamps

Each CatStrap™ kit includes 10 stainless steel ties to securely attach to the exhaust system. NOT INCLUDED, but strongly recommended, locally purchase traditional exhaust clamps for added security (variety of attachment methods causes frustration -
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:25 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
I guess no Clamps! Steel Ties & Clamps

Each CatStrap[emoji769] kit includes 10 stainless steel ties to securely attach to the exhaust system. NOT INCLUDED, but strongly recommended, locally purchase traditional exhaust clamps for added security (variety of attachment methods causes frustration -

I bought this after my converter was stolen. I also bought the focused motion sensitive alarm. Alas, I have not gotten around to installing it yet even though it looks pretty straight forward. It comes with a heat activated adhesive that is supposed to bond it to the exhaust system. That will keep it from moving but I doubt it is strong enough by itself to discourage a thief. The metal cable ties are just to facilitate installation. I bought 6 pipe clamps at AutoZone for under $15. They don’t provide them because different vehicles have different sized pipes. Mine uses 3 inch clamps. The thing appears to be well made and very well might discourage a nervous kid with a battery powered sawzall but it won’t defeat a steely eyed pro. Especially if she has a cutoff wheel in her purse. I also relocated my coach to a storage yard that appears to be more secure. Interesting side story...I asked the manager if they’d ever had a theft problem and (of course) he said no. The biggest issue they’ve had was a sporting girl turning tricks in one of the storage units. Apparently it’s cheaper than a hotel! Strange world.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:33 PM   #12

THOR #13058
I finally got around to taking action. Oddly, I could not find Orange High Temp 2000F Spray Paint anywhere. Then got to reading some really negative reviews on the Rustoleum Red High Temp 2000F Spray Paint. Then I noticed most complaints was that the Red looked Orange !!!! So I bought 2 cans

I only needed one can as I applied 3 coats. https://www.zoro.com/rust-oleum-12-o...08/i/G2548987/

The Front is for Dallas PD and the back has the VIN # that is on the Texas State Registration Sticker in the window.

It is a Step anyway and only cost me $20. Still thinking of what is next? A motion alarm with high pitch siren/horn may be next. I am looking for ideas as deterrent before they start or try to cut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210812_160007.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	32775   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210812_002014.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	32776  

Name:	Inked20210812_001722_LI.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	32777  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-12-2021, 11:29 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Maybe a few well positioned, remotely detonated cherry bombs. Or for the ultimate excitement... use M-80s... cleanup in aisle one!!
Old 08-13-2021, 01:55 AM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Maybe a few well positioned, remotely detonated cherry bombs. Or for the ultimate excitement... use M-80s... cleanup in aisle one!!
I was told you cannot harm the thieves. and that you can even be arrested off the internet if you discuss plans to accidentally shock someone who may be exercising their freedom to steal your property

But so far it is working, one day and it is not stolen
Old 08-13-2021, 02:10 AM   #15

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I was told you cannot harm the thieves. and that you can even be arrested off the internet if you discuss plans to accidentally shock someone who may be exercising their freedom to steal your property

But so far it is working, one day and it is not stolen
Somehow, facing a "three fingered thief" in court who turns me in for malicious intent puts a smile on my face. I'm sure he'll consider changing professions. Piano player is probably not on his short list though...
Old 08-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #16

THOR #13058
From Houston PD

Old 08-22-2021, 05:55 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I finally got around to taking action. Oddly, I could not find Orange High Temp 2000F Spray Paint anywhere. Then got to reading some really negative reviews on the Rustoleum Red High Temp 2000F Spray Paint. Then I noticed most complaints was that the Red looked Orange !!!! So I bought 2 cans

I only needed one can as I applied 3 coats. https://www.zoro.com/rust-oleum-12-o...08/i/G2548987/

The Front is for Dallas PD and the back has the VIN # that is on the Texas State Registration Sticker in the window.

It is a Step anyway and only cost me $20. Still thinking of what is next? A motion alarm with high pitch siren/horn may be next. I am looking for ideas as deterrent before they start or try to cut.
So I take one very short trip, and this is what my Catalytic converter looks like now. Makes you wonder what the heck is going on inside and/or how long the 2000F Spray Paint will last?

Is this normal?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210822_082413.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	32974  
Old 08-22-2021, 06:26 PM   #18

THOR #16721
You could always tightly wrap it in razor wire...
Old 08-22-2021, 06:46 PM   #19

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Tires and wheels in good condition are worth a lot more than a converter

How are you going to stop that? When they move on from the harder to get to converters

Maybe we should prosecute crooks a bit harder to discourage that type behavior
Old 08-22-2021, 07:07 PM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
You could always tightly wrap it in razor wire...
yeah right and by the time I am finished; what yall gonna do with the slices of d kold man?

I at least have a photo opp where I took proactive action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Tires and wheels in good condition are worth a lot more than a converter

How are you going to stop that? When they move on from the harder to get to converters
Maybe we should prosecute crooks a bit harder to discourage that type behavior
Pink Spray Paint? I am thinking my biggest fear of Catalytic Converter being stolen is #1 the noise I may have to make for a while in our Neighborhood; and the uncertainty about how long it may take to get repaired. But you raise a good point, I may have to buy a spare EC-30 AGS and spare Freshwater tank in the event they are stolen

They did upgrade the laws in Texas. I don't know the specifics; but Catalytic converter theft is a Felony and if you are caught, you going down; so you might as well steal the whole damn vehicle.