Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2023, 01:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Class C - O.C.C. Numbers?

We getting ready to go to a longer unit. Currently have an e450 based Vegas. O.C.C. is 3,199 lbs. I am using 1,890 lbs of it plus 500 lbs tongue weight of open trailer. The RV does triple duty, used for towing bracket drag car, visiting kids and vacations. The Vegas has been flawless up until of family grew by supposed runt of litter, now 65 lbs.

The class C floorplan we like most is 30z, the 1658 lbs OCC is too light. Next choice is 29kx at 2,413 lbs OCC. I can accomodate the 29xk as tongue weights up to 750 lbs are now standard. Vegas had 500 limit.

My basic question is, are there any class C units with higher OCC in the 30'range? I have not considered a class A for multiple reasons.

PS- Interesting to watch salesman try to understand application.

Old 05-21-2023, 01:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
All E 450 series are on a 14.5 K chassis so you may want to check other manufacturers that use updated and lighter materials in the manufacturing process. You may, however, need to pay considerably more for a unit.
Old 05-21-2023, 01:57 PM   #3

THOR #5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
All E 450 series are on a 14.5 K chassis so you may want to check other manufacturers that use updated and lighter materials in the manufacturing process. You may, however, need to pay considerably more for a unit.
I understand the 14.5k limitation. Since O.C.C. only seems to be published on yellow sticker, does anyone have any recommendation as to which manufacturer may tend to lighter and effective construction that improves capacity? All of the local RV available brands seem to follow same percentages so far.
Old 05-21-2023, 02:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Have you asked the question on IRV2 which has a broader range of owners? You might get a more informed answer about other manufacturers’ OCCC.
Old 05-21-2023, 04:35 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post

……cut….

My basic question is, are there any class C units with higher OCC in the 30'range? I have not considered a class A for multiple reasons.

PS- Interesting to watch salesman try to understand application.

There are a few 30-footers built on E-450, but to get the higher OCCC you are searching for, it requires a lighter motorhome. The only ones I’m aware of have no slide, which saves considerable weight, but depending on comfort expectations may make motorhome too cramped with that many people in it.

Thor’s offering in that segment is the 28A floor plan, but others have similar units (Coachmen, Gulfstream, etc.). One manufacturer even builds that floor plan on E-350 because of lighter weight.

However, even if you are willing to go without a slide, these motorhomes have such a long rear overhang that I wouldn’t want to tow a race car trailer with any of them regardless of OCCC and tow rating.
Old 05-21-2023, 05:02 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Suspension changes change everything.

Spring and axle swaps are cheap and easy compared to buying a coach where you compromised the comfort/floor plan.

Bracket racer connotes an ability, or at least friends with ability, to thoughtfully think-out and modify.

My 24.1 now has a BUILT Dana( Dana based. It's redone by a top 4x4 place) monster straight axle and leaf springs up front where the iffy IFS and coils used to be.

No compromise from me. It's about f850 range...but stronger.

It's your vehicle. It's just like a truck. Mods are yours to make. and it's not unmodifiable.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 10:04 PM   #7

THOR #5313
Appreciate the replies. The 29kx seems best local. 2413 lbs, not the 3199 of current Vegas. The change in tongue weight helps, Vegas is heavy, not over because stuff normally carried on race trailer are in compartments. I did that to keep tongue weight inside 500 lb limit. We are looking for more floor space within same total 14.5k/22k limits.

Done a lot of checking/math, the 29kx meets needs, 100 lbs extra tongue weight moves 1000 lbs out of compartments. 600 lbs tongue weight will work fine.
Old 05-22-2023, 01:45 AM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Why not consider a class A? More living space for a given length and usually gos of carrying capacity.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:48 AM   #9

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Or consider the "super" C which are based on Freightliner or International chassis. You'll also get more towing capacity.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 03:33 AM   #10

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Or consider the "super" C which are based on Freightliner or International chassis. You'll also get more towing capacity.
Ahh the Super Cash option, But hey, it works...
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 09:56 AM   #11

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Ahh the Super Cash option, But hey, it works...
Yep every real improvement does increase the $$$ outlay but good ain't cheap. Now if the OP thinks that's a viable option, I do have some specific recommendations.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 02:50 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
... does anyone have any recommendation as to which manufacturer may tend to lighter and effective construction that improves capacity?
Coachmen builds with Azdel which, I was told, is lighter than luan which is what Thor uses so in theory they could have more CCC...
Leprechaun 298KB, almost 2000lbs ccc:

R
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 04:33 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
There are a few 30-footers built on E-450, but to get the higher OCCC you are searching for, it requires a lighter motorhome. The only ones I’m aware of have no slide, which saves considerable weight, but depending on comfort expectations may make motorhome too cramped with that many people in it.

Thor’s offering in that segment is the 28A floor plan, but others have similar units (Coachmen, Gulfstream, etc.). One manufacturer even builds that floor plan on E-350 because of lighter weight.

However, even if you are willing to go without a slide, these motorhomes have such a long rear overhang that I wouldn’t want to tow a race car trailer with any of them regardless of OCCC and tow rating.

P.S. — Jayco and Entegra also manufacture a floor plan almost identical to Chateau 28A. Jayco RedHawk SE 27N and the Entegra Odyssey SE 27N. I did not pull up specs, but from pictures they appear to have same wheelbase length (more or less) as Chateau 28A, which results in fairly long rear overhang.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0701.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	42031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0699.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	42032  

Old 05-24-2023, 12:00 PM   #14

THOR #5313
During research found some dealers list dry weight. We found at lot of options that will work.

Class A and super C were considered but application does not require that size.

We almost pulled trigger on a 28xk with dual A/C and 2,413 OCC. Dealer had on other lot 100 miles away. Wanted a signed buyer order, deposit before me going to see. When I asked about trade he said will give number and adjust, that how "we do things". Told him I have no interest in writing conditions along with signature and will not do business. I was prepared to pay his full asking price without trade so he lost sale. He was trying to get wife to name a budget or monnthly payment. I was very clear was cash deal.