Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2020, 02:20 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
Being the the inverter is supposedly 1800 watts, it "should" be able to run a coffee maker while boondocking yes? Seems the only things on said inverter are the refrigerator, lights, water pump, heater, and outside TV, but no inside TV's or any plug in the kitchen...weird
All Electrical receptacles with in 6 feet of water or a water source should be protected by a CFCI circuit. Usually there is only one GFCI circuit in lower priced coach and it is not powered by a small inverter. I had the same problem running a portable ice maker when on the road. I ran an extension cord from the bedroom TV receptacle to the dinette to use while traveling. After a year, I add an electrical sub panel and with new GFCI circuits to the dinette and kitchen. Both were powered by a new Xantrex inverter, as I wanted an 30 amp transfer relay.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #22

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Now that we have found the perfect blend of coffee: we need the proper coffee pot for it!

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1597407323
I want one to replace the Cuisinart !
Old 08-14-2020, 03:50 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That beast does look kind of cool...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:49 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Being the the inverter is supposedly 1800 watts, it "should" be able to run a coffee maker while boondocking yes? Seems the only things on said inverter are the refrigerator, lights, water pump, heater, and outside TV, but no inside TV's or any plug in the kitchen...weird

works in ours, have little k cup one cup at a time. just the outlet in kitchen is not on inverter so have extension cord to outlet by passenger seat, works great when traveling.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:40 PM   #25

State: California
THOR #16919
Quote:
If you’re stuck on only making your coffee in the kitchen then that’s probably a problem. If it were up to me boondocking I would temporarily move the coffee maker near one of the outlets that is wired through the inverter or use an extension cord as was previously stated. If you use an extension cord length and diameter matter.
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #26

Model: Hurricane 31s
THOR #4758
Use a plug checker or light or something and check all your plugs. Your TV insids should be on the inverter and you should be abl to blug in to i's outlet put a splitter on it if you have to. Coffee is important for me too!
Old 08-19-2020, 06:50 PM   #27

Model: Palazzo
State: Wisconsin
THOR #11270
Should be fine. The only thing in your list that runs (almost) continuously is the refrigerator. Water pump, TVs, etc. only when in use. I wonder too if your lighting is 12VDC and runs off battery? Coffee maker, unless it's a giant cappacino-maker should be OK.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:16 PM   #28

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
One of the problems of putting more outlets, especially in the kitchen, is the capacity of the batteries. The only 120 volt outlets in my mh is for the refrigerator and the TV. Thanking about installing another set of batteries and inverter charger just to run a few things in the kitchen. I had a Eagle motorhome that I could run just about everything in the mh, except the ac units off the batteries and I miss this feature.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #29

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley Dilley View Post
If you’re stuck on only making your coffee in the kitchen then that’s probably a problem. If it were up to me boondocking I would temporarily move the coffee maker near one of the outlets that is wired through the inverter or use an extension cord as was previously stated. If you use an extension cord length and diameter matter.
I'm going to need you to explain this to my wife, who is the one that would have to go outside in the rain at 6am, open the TV cabinet, plug in the coffee maker, hold it while it brews because it's 5ft off the ground, and bring me a cup in bed And to the last point...in all things those matter, yes?
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:22 PM   #30

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2766
Coffee pot and inverter

We went through a lot of trial and error when we had our inverter installed. I was originally going with a 1000 watt or it may have been 1800 watt, but when I talked to a dealer he told me it might be too small for a coffee pot. So, we went with a 2000 watt. Now I wish I would have gone with a 3K. Our first inverter had a lot of problems and I kept having to have it taken out, sent back to the company, have them call me and tell me nothing was wrong, then pay to have it reinstall. Only to have to go through the same thing all over again a couple of months later. We ended up buying a new inverter, different brand. What we have found is we need to turn everything off except the refrig. when we use the 1800 watt coffee pot. This means no microwave and no toaster otherwise we trip the breaker. Water heater is on shore power or propane. Batteries do run down quickly if we don't have the engine running, but having the inverter allows my wife to brew coffee while I am driving, or use the microwave - not at the same time, without having to start the gen.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:47 PM   #31

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Bought a coffee percolator for the stove for just that reason.
Better than instant. Take the grinds out and can be warmed as needed.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:03 PM   #32

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
Bought a coffee percolator for the stove for just that reason.
Better than instant. Take the grinds out and can be warmed as needed.
Eww...percolated coffee is nasty
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:15 PM   #33

State: Wisconsin
THOR #14830
Coffee while Boondocking

Aero Press https://aeropress.com/ or a Moka Pot https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-0680...7871611&sr=8-5

The only way to go, you only need LP or a campfire.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:40 PM   #34
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Now that we have found the perfect blend of coffee: we need the proper coffee pot for it!

Attached Thumbnails

Wow. Slight modification and you got a small still! Just call it Irish coffee.

My dad used to make coffee by boiling water in a pot, dumping the grinds in, stir for five seconds, and poor through a filter.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #35

Model: Chateau
State: Idaho
THOR #7541
Coffee

I, for one, fire up my generator so I can run my Keurig!
Old 08-19-2020, 09:55 PM   #36

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
You can put whatever you want on it. just not all at the same time.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:15 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
...My dad used to make coffee by boiling water in a pot, dumping the grinds in, stir for five seconds, and poor through a filter.
We still do it way in deer camp.
But no filter.
Let the coffee boil a little bit, and then throw a dipper full of cold water in it. This settles the grounds to the bottom of the pot.
(For the most part...)
Old 08-19-2020, 10:27 PM   #38
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
We still do it way in deer camp.
But no filter.
Let the coffee boil a little bit, and then throw a dipper full of cold water in it. This settles the grounds to the bottom of the pot.
(For the most part...)

I hope that is a clean dipper!
Old 08-19-2020, 10:51 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's deer camp in the Adirondacks: we just wipe the mouse crap out of it, and put it to good use.
From dipping red flannel stew out of the pot on the woodstove... to taking a drink of water out of the hand pump that pulls water out of the swamp.

Whatever doesn't kill you...
Old 08-19-2020, 11:03 PM   #40

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I've 'made' coffee, in a standard 120v coffee maker, several times while 'only' on the inverter... but, I had to take some 'precautions' to make it all 'work' without issue - such as turn DOWN the Inverter's LBCO(low battery cutout) protection, down to 10, just to maintain the power with the Inverter shutting off during brewing. I found that the brewer 'heating' comes in 'spurts', or better said, it runs at a high draw for 15-20 seconds, then cuts outs for about another 15-20 seconds, then runs again, etc.
If I watch the VOLTS on the Inverter readout while the brewer is working, I can 'see' when the power is really required, and when it is also dropping back into a more of 'warming' mode.

So, to resolve any issue - I turn down the LBCO setting while brewing off the Inverter, then turn it back to my 'normal' setting afterwards. Now, I don't, though, allow the coffee maker to continue to sit in the 'warming' mode once it's brewing is complete - I shut it off. The coffee is then hot enough for a long long time, even without any warming.

Besides, it doesn't take me that long to drink it anyway - I'm not a 'sipper'!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote