Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2022, 02:17 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseDBTR View Post
It is listed as converter breaker on the panel (vs inverter).
Ok.... you are now officially all over the map!!!!!!!!!!

That breaker is for your Converter / Charger and not your Inverter. Now, I will give you a pass because Thor is not a lot of help when it comes to this stuff. The breaker above it that is labeled "TV Receptacles" is actually the breaker to the Inverter Input. That is the circuit for the Inverter AC input, cab-over TV, outdoor TV. and the fridge when the coach is under shore or generator power.

The breaker in your picture is for your WFCO Converter / Charger. The Converter provides 12V to your coach lights, USB charge ports, etc. It also charges the house batteries (and chassis batteries).

When is this breaker tripping? On shore power.... generator power... or both?

On the back of your Power Distribution Panel (breaker box) under your bed is an AC outlet. The WFCO Converter plugs into that outlet and is controlled by that breaker.

Now I am going to assume you don't have an Inverter problem.... but you would still have two different problems. One with your oven / generator issue and one with your Converter.

I'm not a fan of WFCO personally. I had issues with my Converter and immediately replaced it with a better one from Progressive Dynamics. The Converter does have reverse polarity fuses on the Converter itself but the fact the breaker trips tells me it is an AC and not a DC issue. It could be a defective Converter or it could be a wiring problem in the Power Distribution Panel for that outlet and breaker. It could also be a bad breaker. It would be easy to replace the breaker as a troubleshooting step.

I would still get the Outlet Tester I referenced in my earlier post. I would then remove the mattress and remove the panel to gain access to the electronics bay under the bed and the Converter.

You will see the power cord running from the silver rectangular box (that's the converter) to the outlet on the back of your breaker box. I would test that outlet with the tester to make sure it has been wired properly by Thor.

Now it is very possible you have a defective Converter that your dealer would need to replace under warranty. When I was under warranty, I was able to get Thor Warranty Support to ship me a new Converter so I could replace it myself and not wait months for a dealer to do it. I had to send the defective one back. I kept the new one as a spare and installed the better Progressive Dynamics Converter.

.... and after all that.... this still has nothing to do with the oven / generator issue.

Old 10-05-2022, 02:37 PM   #22

State: North Carolina
THOR #28045
Sorry for the confusion. Super newbie trying to learn. I do appreciate you being patient with me. Honestly haven’t paid attention to when the breaker trips. I believe generally on Gen power but only randomly check the panel to see. Not sure how to tell when it’s tripped… what to look for?
Old 10-05-2022, 02:47 PM   #23

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. Super newbie trying to learn. I do appreciate you being patient with me. Honestly haven’t paid attention to when the breaker trips. I believe generally on Gen power but only randomly check the panel to see. Not sure how to tell when it’s tripped… what to look for?
Technically, if the Converter breaker is tripping it shouldn't matter a hill of beans if you are on shore or generator power so we should focus on the outlet circuit and the Converter itself.

Now when the Converter Breaker Trips, the following things would happen:

- Your house batteries will no longer charge (unless you have sun for solar to help charge them a bit)

- If your house batteries go dead, you will not have any lights in the coach... even if you are on shore or generator power

When the Converter is working properly, you can still have lights in the coach even when your house batteries are dead or a battery cable disconnected or if you put the Use / Store switch in the Store position.

If the breaker trips for the Converter, you will not have lights in the coach with a dead battery or the Use / Store switch in the Store position.

You need to keep an eye on that breaker to see when / how often it is tripping. If your house batteries get run down and then it trips when you plug into shore power or use the generator, there is probably an issue with the Converter and it is drawing more current than it should when charging the batteries. This would mean it should be replaced.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:26 PM   #24

State: North Carolina
THOR #28045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Technically, if the Converter breaker is tripping it shouldn't matter a hill of beans if you are on shore or generator power so we should focus on the outlet circuit and the Converter itself.

Now when the Converter Breaker Trips, the following things would happen:

- Your house batteries will no longer charge (unless you have sun for solar to help charge them a bit)

- If your house batteries go dead, you will not have any lights in the coach... even if you are on shore or generator power

When the Converter is working properly, you can still have lights in the coach even when your house batteries are dead or a battery cable disconnected or if you put the Use / Store switch in the Store position.

If the breaker trips for the Converter, you will not have lights in the coach with a dead battery or the Use / Store switch in the Store position.

You need to keep an eye on that breaker to see when / how often it is tripping. If your house batteries get run down and then it trips when you plug into shore power or use the generator, there is probably an issue with the Converter and it is drawing more current than it should when charging the batteries. This would mean it should be replaced.
This is great information!!! Thank you very much.
Old 10-06-2022, 04:33 PM   #25

Model: Magnitude XG32
THOR #28035
Paradise,

Go to your owner page on Thor and download the schematic pdf (very informative) and then check to see if each breaker controls the labeled circuit. Our 2023 XG32 did not! Our inverter breaker was labeled Cooktop but was actually wired in the position shown on the panel schematic.

Also, our solar controller was wired bass backwards, so don't assume Thor wired correctly. If you are comfortable with electricity I'd also suggest checking the wire terminals in the ATS (transfer switch) if loose they could heat up (though the generator breakers should trip). That reminds me, check to see if one of your generator breakers has tripped!
Old 10-12-2022, 09:09 PM   #26

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Texas
THOR #5206
Not specifically about convection microwaves, but mine works good but we do have to manage power (30amp). We usually stop water heater, refrigerator, AC and any other big power users until we determine how much power is left.
Might not be a problem but you should take the time to check all the screw wire connections in your fuse/ circuit breaker. Don’t leave out the shore power outlet on the side of your RV. Before checking be sure turn off all power first. Shore power, inverter, batteries. If the screws are tight that’s good. If you can easily turn the screw that’s bad. The screws shouldn’t require more than hand tight. Several of mine were loose including the shore power outlet that had to be replaced after it melted 2 of the wires. Good l luck.
Old 10-13-2022, 02:03 PM   #27

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #20931
Quote:
Newbie question. I have a 2023 Thor Magnitude... Running generator, NO A/C or other large drains, the convection oven will work for about 3-5 minutes and then shut down. Can restart generator, try again, same thing. Should the convection oven work with generator, if so, what would be causing this?
Our 2022 Onan generator did the 'quit after 15-20 minutes' thing, and the only error code was 3-6 which stands for the generator shut down without getting a command to do so. Turned out to be a bad carburetor and according to the Cummins service tech, that is pretty common. He also stated that the warrantee from Cummins/Onan covers it for 3 years from purchase date. Hoping this helps.
Old 10-17-2022, 05:07 PM   #28

THOR #14709
ParadiseDBTR;363266

Quote:
Newbie question. I have a 2023 Thor Magnitude... Running generator, NO A/C or other large drains, the convection oven will work for about 3-5 minutes and then shut down. Can restart generator, try again, same thing. Should the convection oven work with generator, if so, what would be causing this?
if everything else will works and it is only the Microwave unit. does it work ok plugged in to Shore power? I would check the AC transfer switch. I had a similar issue, when trying to run the generator. turned out the contacts were bad and I changed out the unit. LMK