Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2022, 12:24 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #28272
Newbie, Considering Outlaw 38, opinons?

We are an avid outdoor family and recently considered purchasing a Outlaw38 MB or KB. We have family scattered in Pennsylvania, Missouri, Florida, and Kentucky, so we thought it would be fun to be able to visit and explore the country at the same time. I'm an avid hunter and my wife and I take several ATV trips to the Hatfield McCoy trail system in WV. It seems like the Outlaw is the perfect motorhome for us.

I'm a little confused about some "pre-owned" Outlaws I'm seeing on the market. It seems like there are some deals on 2022s. I see a lot of units advertised as "used", but they often only have a few hundred or a couple thousand miles on them. Are people really dropping $150-$200K and then trading them in? It seems crazy to me to drop that much cash, get hit with the initial depreciation and then decide "eh, this isn't for me, I think I'll sell it."

Just trying to know what to look out for.

Old 10-17-2022, 02:03 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Good luck.
Our family members look at online reviews like :

https://www.rvinsider.com/Thor-Motor...oorplan=Outlaw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221017-080129_Chrome.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	39777  
Old 10-17-2022, 02:42 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
We are an avid outdoor family and recently considered purchasing a Outlaw38 MB or KB. We have family scattered in Pennsylvania, Missouri, Florida, and Kentucky, so we thought it would be fun to be able to visit and explore the country at the same time. I'm an avid hunter and my wife and I take several ATV trips to the Hatfield McCoy trail system in WV. It seems like the Outlaw is the perfect motorhome for us.

I'm a little confused about some "pre-owned" Outlaws I'm seeing on the market. It seems like there are some deals on 2022s. I see a lot of units advertised as "used", but they often only have a few hundred or a couple thousand miles on them. Are people really dropping $150-$200K and then trading them in? It seems crazy to me to drop that much cash, get hit with the initial depreciation and then decide "eh, this isn't for me, I think I'll sell it."

Just trying to know what to look out for.
With any RV is all about the floor plan and its usefulness. Once they try the RV life style, they find it not for them. If you look the are plenty of low mileage lightly used $500,000 diesel pushers or newly build, seldom used, beach condos. With free money and the CV-19 mentality, many made poor choices.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:29 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
The market for used coaches is promising for those looking to save some money on a slightly used one. People rushed to buy them while Covid hit. They also thought the rv life would be the way to go for them and discovered they really don't like that lifestyle. It is a bonus for those who are looking for a deal right now. I traded in my 2018 Class C Thor Siesta this past March and got a great deal on a brand new 2022 Thor Miramar 37.1. This was a coach we had been researching for at least 1 year prior so we knew that the prices would be at a level of affordability.

Paul
Old 10-17-2022, 03:40 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
There are people with more money than sense who buy an RV on impulse and discover the lifestyle is not for them. There are also people who will by an RV use it for a season and then turn around and sell it at the end of the season to avoid the ongoing cost of maintenance and storage. in some cases, the cost of doing this ends up being less than renting a unit.

I just purchased a 2018 Thor ACE 30.3 with about 3,900 miles on it. That is less than 1,000 miles a year, apparently it never left Iowa. I also ended up paying considerably less than the advertised prices for similar units having many more miles from Online RV sales sites. I could probably turn around now and sell it at a considerable profit.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:43 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #28272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Good luck.
Our family members look at online reviews like :

https://www.rvinsider.com/Thor-Motor...oorplan=Outlaw
Thank you for your response, but this doesn't really answer my question.