Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-05-2022, 02:38 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 24
THOR #28045
Convection Oven on Generator

Newbie question. I have a 2023 Thor Magnitude... Running generator, NO A/C or other large drains, the convection oven will work for about 3-5 minutes and then shut down. Can restart generator, try again, same thing. Should the convection oven work with generator, if so, what would be causing this?

__________________
ParadiseDBTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:15 AM   #2
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 10,658
THOR #7035
What shuts down? The oven or the generator?

Yes, the generator should easily be able to handle the convection oven load.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:04 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 24
THOR #28045
They both shut down actually. I then have to restart the generator and then the oven powers back up.
__________________
ParadiseDBTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:24 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 24
THOR #28045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
What shuts down? The oven or the generator?

Yes, the generator should easily be able to handle the convection oven load.
Update… When trying to use the convection oven, it kills power to the entire coach and turns off the generator. Last night, AGS turned generator off and woke up to fridge being off and all 120v out but batteries show charged. Turn gen on from within the coach and the fridge turned on as well as the 120v. Inverter issue? Out on road for a week so not sure what to do.
__________________
ParadiseDBTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 1,623
THOR #17765
Can you override the AGS switch? Does genny keep running? I don’t have an AGS but it’s stops the generator when house batteries fully charged. Should also restart the genny when batteries are discharged. Inverter should keep fridge running. Inverter may not be enough to power a convection oven.
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:46 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 24
THOR #28045
I can turn off AGS. Run gen straight. When turn off Gen, all house goes dark.
__________________
ParadiseDBTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:05 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 1,623
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseDBTR View Post
I can turn off AGS. Run gen straight. When turn off Gen, all house goes dark.
Sounds to me as though the auto power transfer switch isnít switching over to battery (inverter). Your lights run off the 12v batteries. Is your use/store switch on use?
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:07 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 24
THOR #28045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Sounds to me as though the auto power transfer switch isnít switching over to battery (inverter). Your lights run off the 12v batteries. Is your use/store switch on use?
The house lights work fine without Gen power but everything else shuts off. Is there a way to reset transfer switch?
__________________
ParadiseDBTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 1,623
THOR #17765
I have no idea. Ace, Judge, someone chime in here!
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:10 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 1,623
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseDBTR View Post
The house lights work fine without Gen power but everything else shuts off. Is there a way to reset transfer switch?
Try to search it above.
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:14 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 1,623
THOR #17765
Do you know where your inverter is located? Is your inverter turned on showing power? Is the inverter breaker tripped?
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:16 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 24
THOR #28045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Do you know where your inverter is located? Is your inverter turned on showing power? Is the inverter breaker tripped?
Yeah. Turned on (powered on). Breaker not tripped. I’m stumped.
__________________
ParadiseDBTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:18 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 1,623
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseDBTR View Post
Yeah. Turned on (powered on). Breaker not tripped. Iím stumped.
Trip and reset the breaker anyway. After this Iím sorry. Iíve exhausted my limited knowledge. Where is home base in NC?
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:19 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 24
THOR #28045
I appreciate it!! We are in Murphy NC.
__________________
ParadiseDBTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:34 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 3,717
THOR #12751
I heard I have been summoned to court............ the QD6000 generator is capable of running everything in the Omni / Magnitude without any issues

I have a few questions:

- Does the convection oven work as expected on shore power? Can you be using it to cook for 30+ minutes without it shutting off?

- Can you run both A/C's simultaneously on the generator for 30+ minutes without the generator shutting down?

- Do you have more than 1/4 take of diesel in the coach?


Now you said you woke up to the fridge being off. That is a completely separate issue. There are two possibilities.....


1. Your inverter is turned off at the remote panel inside the coach. When on shore or generator power, the remote display will light up and be active and sometimes fool people into thinking the inverter is turned on. There is a round power button on the remote panel in the coach and it must be pressed so it is in and not sticking out.

If you want your fridges to always be on regardless of shore or generator power, your inverter must be turned on.


*One other note.... the inverter has a built in control panel with it's own On / Off switch. That switch must be in the Off position when using the remote panel. I could not turn my Inverter On or Off from the remote panel when I got it and it was because Thor had the power button in the On position in the built-in control panel.

2. The 300A fuse blew (or you have a loose battery cable) and you are getting no battery power to the Inverter. Again, when there is shore power the inverter's ATS will allow AC to pass through and power the fridges but if the fuse below or a cable is loose, you are not getting 12V to the inverter so the ATS can switch over to inverter power.


To test the inverter, make sure you are not plugged into shore power or have the generator running so there is no AC power coming into the coach. Then try the On / Off button on the remote panel. When it is depressed, the panel should light up and you should be able to access the configuration menu. When it is on, the fridges should be running.

When the panel is Off and the button i sticking out, the panel should go darl and the fridge should be off.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 24
THOR #28045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I heard I have been summoned to court............ the QD6000 generator is capable of running everything in the Omni / Magnitude without any issues

I have a few questions:

- Does the convection oven work as expected on shore power? Can you be using it to cook for 30+ minutes without it shutting off?

- Can you run both A/C's simultaneously on the generator for 30+ minutes without the generator shutting down?

- Do you have more than 1/4 take of diesel in the coach?


Now you said you woke up to the fridge being off. That is a completely separate issue. There are two possibilities.....


1. Your inverter is turned off at the remote panel inside the coach. When on shore or generator power, the remote display will light up and be active and sometimes fool people into thinking the inverter is turned on. There is a round power button on the remote panel in the coach and it must be pressed so it is in and not sticking out.

If you want your fridges to always be on regardless of shore or generator power, your inverter must be turned on.


*One other note.... the inverter has a built in control panel with it's own On / Off switch. That switch must be in the Off position when using the remote panel. I could not turn my Inverter On or Off from the remote panel when I got it and it was because Thor had the power button in the On position in the built-in control panel.

2. The 300A fuse blew (or you have a loose battery cable) and you are getting no battery power to the Inverter. Again, when there is shore power the inverter's ATS will allow AC to pass through and power the fridges but if the fuse below or a cable is loose, you are not getting 12V to the inverter so the ATS can switch over to inverter power.


To test the inverter, make sure you are not plugged into shore power or have the generator running so there is no AC power coming into the coach. Then try the On / Off button on the remote panel. When it is depressed, the panel should light up and you should be able to access the configuration menu. When it is on, the fridges should be running.

When the panel is Off and the button i sticking out, the panel should go darl and the fridge should be off.
Wow. Thank you! The fridge issue was resolved. The breaker was tripped overnight for some reason. For the other questions. Everything seems fine on shore power. Both ACs running on Gen power without issue. Have plenty of fuel in both tanks. I’m sure there is something simple I’m overlooking. Inverter is powered up but my gut says not working or not transferring but my gut is ignorant so there’s that. Sitting here now. Gen shut off. Fridge is working. House lights working. No microwave or 120 outlets.
__________________
ParadiseDBTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:28 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 3,717
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseDBTR View Post
Wow. Thank you! The fridge issue was resolved. The breaker was tripped overnight for some reason. For the other questions. Everything seems fine on shore power. Both ACs running on Gen power without issue. Have plenty of fuel in both tanks. I’m sure there is something simple I’m overlooking. Inverter is powered up but my gut says not working or not transferring but my gut is ignorant so there’s that. Sitting here now. Gen shut off. Fridge is working. House lights working. No microwave or 120 outlets.

Inverter first......... You said a breaker was tripped. Which breaker? There is a 15A breaker that is for the AC input to the inverter. If this breaker is tripped the fridge would always run off the inverter if the inverter was turned On. If the breaker was tripped and the inverter was turned Off, the fridge would never have power and turn on.

The DC side of the Inverter has used a 300A fuse in the past.... unless Thor now switched to a Bussman type breaker in the battery compartment for the inverter DC. If they did and that breaker tripped, then you would not have inverter power when you were off shore or generator power.



Now back to the convection oven (inverter has nothing to do with the oven / generator problem)......

If your generator is running both A/C units simultaneously without the generator shutting down for 30 minutes or more, there is no reason why it couldn't handle the oven running in convection or microwave mode.

The oven max power is 1400 - 1500 watts. Each A/C unit will use between 1000 - 1300 watts depending on conditions. If you can run both A/C units, then you are using over 1000 watts on each 120V leg of the generator.

Also, if both A/C's run on the generator and run off shore power, your coach ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) is working properly.


- Are you running in microwave mode or convection mode when this happens? Have you tried both modes to see if both modes shuts down the generator?

- What is the outside air temp when this has been happening? I'm trying to determine if the generator could be overheating.

- Have you checked the oil level in the generator? A low oil level will cause the generator to shut down. It would shut down regardless of what is running in the coach.

- What elevation are you when this is happening? For every 1000 foot increase in elevation, you lose about 3% of your generator power capability. If you were at 10,000 feet instead of sea level, you could lose up to as much as 30% of your power generation capability. There is an outside chance that the generator could be overloaded at a high elevation if you are running the oven, it is powering the fridge and charging the batteries, etc.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:42 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 24
THOR #28045
[QUOTE=Judge;363311]Inverter first......... You said a breaker was tripped. Which breaker? There is a 15A breaker that is for the AC input to the inverter. If this breaker is tripped the fridge would always run off the inverter if the inverter was turned On. If the breaker was tripped and the inverter was turned Off, the fridge would never have power and turn on.

The DC side of the Inverter has used a 300A fuse in the past.... unless Thor now switched to a Bussman type breaker in the battery compartment for the inverter DC. If they did and that breaker tripped, then you would not have inverter power when you were off shore or generator power.



Now back to the convection oven (inverter has nothing to do with the oven / generator problem)......

If your generator is running both A/C units simultaneously without the generator shutting down for 30 minutes or more, there is no reason why it couldn't handle the oven running in convection or microwave mode.

The oven max power is 1400 - 1500 watts. Each A/C unit will use between 1000 - 1300 watts depending on conditions. If you can run both A/C units, then you are using over 1000 watts on each 120V leg of the generator.

Also, if both A/C's run on the generator and run off shore power, your coach ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) is working properly.


- Are you running in microwave mode or convection mode when this happens? Have you tried both modes to see if both modes shuts down the generator?

- What is the outside air temp when this has been happening? I'm trying to determine if the generator could be overheating.

- Have you checked the oil level in the generator? A low oil level will cause the generator to shut down. It would shut down regardless of what is running in the coach.

- What elevation are you when this is happening? For every 1000 foot increase in elevation, you lose about 3% of your generator power capability. If you were at 10,000 feet instead of sea level, you could lose up to as much as 30% of your power generation capability. There is an outside chance that the generator could be overloaded at a high elevation if you are running the oven, it is powering the fridge and charging the batteries, etc.


Such good info. Thank you! I need to do a bit more experimenting. Here is a pic of the breaker (won’t let me post pic but it’s 15 amp breaker) located at bottom of panel. It trips consistently. Air temp is about 55 degrees and we are at about 1k altitude so nothing crazy there. Generator seems to run fine other than this issue. We were attempting true convection, haven’t really used just microwave side yet. I will keep experimenting. Do think there is an issue for inverter breaker to trip consistently which may or may not have anything to do with this.
__________________
ParadiseDBTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:45 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 3,717
THOR #12751
Convection Oven on Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseDBTR View Post
Such good info. Thank you! I need to do a bit more experimenting. Here is a pic of the breaker. It trips consistently. Air temp is about 55 degrees and we are at about 1k altitude so nothing crazy there. Generator seems to run fine other than this issue. We were attempting true convection, haven’t really used just microwave side yet. I will keep experimenting. Do think there is an issue for inverter breaker to trip consistently which may or may not have anything to do with this.

You didn’t post the picture of the breaker so please post it for me to help you better.

A breaker tripping for the inverter will have nothing to do with the over / generator problem. It would be two separate issues.

I need to see the breaker that is tripping to understand your inverter issue. But if it is the AC input breaker is tripping, then there is either a short or something is demanding too much current causing the 15A breaker to trip. But again, this has nothing to do with the oven since they are completely separate circuits.

The only things on the Inverter circuit is the fridge (and outside fridge on the SV34), the TV at the cab-over bunk, the outside TV and an outlet next to the bed. There is nothing that is a high demand appliance on that circuit.



Two times in the past 3 years we have had our Convection Oven just completely shut down during use. We ended up unplugging it to reset it and then it would work fine again. But it has never tripped a breaker or caused generator issues.

The oven has a 15A breaker in its circuit. If the oven had an issue with pulling too much power, it should trip that beaker long before it could overload the generator and cause it to shut down.


Now we could have a Thor quality issue when it comes to the AC (alternating current not air conditioner) wiring.... which would not be a surprise. I would start off simple. Go to Home Depot and get an outlet tester like this one if you don't have one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...102R/206029151

I would go to the outlet in the cabinet where the oven plugs in and test it.

I would also test the outlets on the Inverter circuit as well since you seem to think you have an issue there as well. The fridge would be tough to get to so you can skip that for now.

We want to eliminate simple things first like open ground, neutral or hot wires and reverse polarity.


I won't rule out a generator problem at this point but if it can run the two A/C units (air conditioner) for 30+minutes, I find it hard to believe there is an issue with the generator itself.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:01 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 24
THOR #28045
It is listed as converter breaker on the panel (vs inverter).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1CF9F493-F023-4056-8027-AE4C9B447B96.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	39661  
__________________
ParadiseDBTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2