Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2022, 04:52 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
You ever read the kids book, I can't said the Ant?

I think it starts with a noise in the Kitchen while the Ant was taking a walk. What's all the Clatter said the Platter"?

Is the clunking and the clattering the same thing? Can you hear clattering even with AC's off and just killing the genny?

In the book, Teapot fell and broke her spout causing the Clatter

Old 11-25-2022, 04:22 PM   #22

Model: Wind sport 29M
THOR #24352
Converter question Why do I have to keep resetting the breaker, and the battery disconnect switch light won't go off. although the switch was just replaced.

2018 Thor wind sport 29M
2020 Hyundai Tuscon Toad
4 year old Basset hound
smitty1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:28 PM   #23

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1020 View Post
Converter question Why do I have to keep resetting the breaker, and the battery disconnect switch light won't go off. although the switch was just replaced.

Unfortunately Thor wired the Main Power switch light to be on anytime there is 12V power… whether it is from the batteries or from the Converter when shore power is available. There are posts kn how to rewire it so the light is off when the Use / Store switch is in the Store position.

As far as tripping a breaker. Is the breaker a DC or AC breaker and which breaker?
Old 11-25-2022, 04:32 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Your disconnect switch light will not go off because you probably have connected to shore power. Disconnect Shorepower and turn switch Off and let report back what happens.

I can't help with question about resetting breaker as it is not enough information to know which breaker and what is happening when it trips?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:42 PM   #25

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Unfortunately Thor wired the Main Power switch light to be on anytime there is 12V power… whether it is from the batteries or from the Converter when shore power is available. There are posts kn how to rewire it so the light is off when the Use / Store switch is in the Store position.
I admit it can be confusion, but I think it is wired best from Mfg. Light ON means you have 12vdc power inside coach, if you don't want 12vdc, turn the battery switch OFF, if it is still lighted, you know you have shorepower connected. If you don't want shorepower; go unplug it. Light goes OFF.

Now the real issue I have seen with some Thor coaches is the switches don't clearly tell you what is On/Off. I would label that switch or replace (not rewire). My SOB has switch like this and it is simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3665.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	40222  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-25-2022, 05:17 PM   #26

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I admit it can be confusion, but I think it is wired best from Mfg. Light ON means you have 12vdc power inside coach, if you don't want 12vdc, turn the battery switch OFF, if it is still lighted, you know you have shorepower connected. If you don't want shorepower; go unplug it. Light goes OFF.

Now the real issue I have seen with some Thor coaches is the switches don't clearly tell you what is On/Off. I would label that switch or replace (not rewire). My SOB has switch like this and it is simple.

I will concede your point my friend. A true On / Off switch that visibily shows on or off would be the ultimate way to solve this problem. Many a person has ended up with dead house batteties because they couldn’t tell of the switch was in Use or Store mode.

I tip my [emoji145] to you!
Old 11-25-2022, 08:34 PM   #27

THOR #24352
Converter question The AC 15-amp breaker. reset it and the VDC goes to 13.6 after an hour it settles back to 12.7 and stays there.

2018 Thor wind sport 29M
2020 Hyundai Tuscon Toad
4 year old Basset hound
Old 11-25-2022, 08:40 PM   #28

THOR #12751
Converter question

Quote:
Converter question The AC 15-amp breaker. reset it and the VDC goes to 13.6 after an hour it settles back to 12.7 and stays there.

The battery voltage behavior is correct. The Converter starts bulk charging when you turn it on so the 13.6V is correct.

But your 15A breaker should not be tripping.
There is either a wiring issue with that circuit or there is an issue with the Converter itself.

You may want to check the AC wiring for a loose connection or improper wiring as a starting point.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:46 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I agree with Judge - that 15 amp breaker should not be tripping due to normal converter operation. Your converter is probably only capable of outputting 55 amps DC at best so that would be about 6 AC amps. Also, it should not drop to 12.7 VDC if the converter is still on - float voltage is about 13.1 VDC.

To me - that's two things indicative of a converter issue.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:00 PM   #30

THOR #24352
Converter question

The 15-amp breaker is not tripping. I have to shut it off and turn it back on then it goes up to 13.6. after an hour it goes back to 12.7. I will check to see if the wiring is correct seeing how the converter was replaced a month ago by a professional???. New doesn't mean anything

2018 Thor wind sport 29M
2020 Hyundai Tuscon Toad
4 year old Basset hound
Old 11-25-2022, 09:03 PM   #31
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
The 15-amp breaker is not tripping. I have to shut it off and turn it back on then it goes up to 13.6. after an hour it goes back to 12.7. I will check to see if the wiring is correct seeing how the converter was replaced a month ago by a professional???. New doesn't mean anything
Sounds even more like a bad converter with that explanation. 12.7 VDC is battery resting voltage on a fully charged battery or surface charge voltage on a not fully charged battery.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:15 PM   #32

THOR #13058
Quote:
What exactly are you turning off?

What did you mean when you said "AC 15-amp breaker. reset it"?

I think that may help along with any other context, because saying your converter was replaced a month ago is what I view as critical need to know information.

Pictures do wonders to help.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:31 AM   #33

THOR #12751
Quote:

Where are you measuring the 12.7V? At the Converter output, the house batteries or are you reading it from a Firefly / Rapid Camp Digital Display?

Also, have you had the coach since it was new? If so, when did this particular problem start?

If you haven't owned it since new, does your coach have a BIM160? If so, there is a good chance Thor wired it incorrectly and that is actually causing incorrect voltage readings and charging issues.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:32 PM   #34

THOR #24352
Converter question

I have a BIM 160 which after testing is wired backwards,, Thank you all for your input

2018 Thor wind sport 29M
2020 Hyundai Tuscon Toad
4 year old Basset hound
Old 11-26-2022, 08:33 PM   #35

THOR #13058
Quote:
I have a BIM 160 which after testing is wired backwards,, Thank you all for your input

Thank you for coming back and sharing the update. It is how we all learn
Old 11-26-2022, 08:47 PM   #36

THOR #12751
Converter question

Quote:

After thinking about your voltage readings and seeing that you replaced the converter, I had a hunch it was another case of Thor wiring the BIM160 backwards per some of my previous threads.

Glad that’s what it was but too bad you didn’t post before you replaced the converter. Hopefully this will help someone else before they take that step.

If I had a dollar for every time Thor wired a BIM backwards, I’d have a lot of dollars. I only wish it was enough to buy Thor, fire the CEO and fix all of the recurring problems once and for all.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:24 PM   #37

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
After thinking about your voltage readings and seeing that you replaced the converter, I had a hunch it was another case of Thor wiring the BIM160 backwards per some of my previous threads.

Glad that’s what it was but too bad you didn’t post before you replaced the converter. Hopefully this will help someone else before they take that step.

If I had a dollar for every time Thor wired a BIM backwards, I’d have a lot of dollars. I only wish it was enough to buy Thor, fire the CEO and fix all of the recurring problems once and for all.
Bravo Sir... and you wonder why I call you the "Judge".... Oh that is your name my bad

I am starting to believe that Thor may actually have a few quality issues for real