Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2022, 12:24 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 24FE
State: Washington
THOR #23201
Converter question

2018 Thor Freedom Elite 24FE. When I hook up to shore power it takes just under 2 1/2 minutes (I timed it today) before I hear the converter click and energize the 110 outlets. Is it normal to take this long?

Old 08-03-2022, 12:35 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
When I plug in, my EMS takes maybe 15 seconds to analyze the current, then engage. There's a muffled clunk at the same time... but it NEVER takes longer than about 15 seconds.

The converter "converts" 120volt AC to 12volt DC. to charge your batteries. If you have an inverter, it does the opposite.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:35 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
What kind of surge protector or EMS are you using. My EMS doesn’t feed until it has run it’s checks which is about 30 seconds.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:58 AM   #4

THOR #23201
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
What kind of surge protector or EMS are you using. My EMS doesn’t feed until it has run it’s checks which is about 30 seconds.
I have a Progressive Ind. EMS-PT 30X. It runs it’s checks real quick but take’s a long time before the converter converts
Old 08-03-2022, 01:05 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
I have a Progressive Ind. EMS-PT 30X. It runs it’s checks real quick but take’s a long time before the converter converts
As explained above, the converter has nothing to do with your 120 VAC outlets.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:25 AM   #6

THOR #23201
Just trying to understand here So when I have the use/store switch in the use position and running off of house batteries the 12 volt stuff works (lights, water pump, etc.) When I plug into shore power, I hear the muffled clunk and the 120v stuff works (microwave, a/c etc.) What am I hearing clunk that powers up the 120v stuff?
Old 08-03-2022, 02:31 AM   #7

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I think your getting apples and oranges mixed here.

What you are hearing is the AC transfer switch engaging under the bed. Try this. Turn on battery switch at entry door, start GEN and listen for the ATS to click under bed. It takes about 15-30 sec. The GEN is now powering your AC breaker box, outlets, AC unit, refrig and your Generator is powering your AC - DC converter, the converter is now powering your DC lights, water pump and charges batteries.

If you are plugged into shore pwr and you start the GEN, the ATS will click because you GEN has priority over the Shore Pwr.

ACE is the pro at this stuff...

What I do is trip the main AC breaker at the panel. I start the GEN and wait for the ATS to engage. Then i go to the breaker box and reset the breaker, then i turn on each device individually, AC units one at at time, and then refrig. I just don't want everything to start when the ATS engages, thats alot of AC load on the system.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:36 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Just trying to understand here So when I have the use/store switch in the use position and running off of house batteries the 12 volt stuff works (lights, water pump, etc.) When I plug into shore power, I hear the muffled clunk and the 120v stuff works (microwave, a/c etc.) What am I hearing clunk that powers up the 120v stuff?
People are assuming you have a Surge Protector/EMS but you probably don't unless it was an aftermarket add-on.

You have the USE/STORE switch operation down as well as the Shore Power (SP) supplied loads.

There is an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS)( that automatically switches the AC input power from the SP cord to the generator when the generator is running. These ATSs normally default to SP and have a time delay to switch to the generator once the generator is running and putting out power. Any delay of power from plugging in to SP is NOT NORMAL but if the ATS is incorrectly wired it may be the source of your delay and what you hear clunking.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:52 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
2018 Thor Freedom Elite 24FE. When I hook up to shore power it takes just under 2 1/2 minutes (I timed it today) before I hear the converter click and energize the 110 outlets. Is it normal to take this long?
You are asking a Converter question, but issue you describe is not a converter function.

Your Converter will NEVER energize 110 outlets; so if it is doing so in 2 1/2 minutes something is wrong

You may need to drop the technical terms in favor of simple problem description.

i.e. are you saying....

When I connect shorepower it takes 2 1/2 minutes for my microwave to get power?

Or something else?

It should NOT take that long, 1 minute max, I just timed mine at 10 - 15 secs (no clock).
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:30 AM   #10

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I have a hardwired EMS-HW50C and it has the ability to set a delay time of 15 seconds or 2 minutes 16 seconds. I have mine set to 2:16 to make sure the compressors have time to bleed off during power outages before coming back on.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:55 AM   #11

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
My ATS has an audible tone. The use/store switch has a clunk. If I’m in store position and plug into shore power, it overrides the use/store switch and clunks. Wonder where the “clunk” is coming from.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:00 AM   #12

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Wonder where the “clunk” is coming from.
The "clunk" is the relays engaging in the transfer switch as soon as voltage is applied.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:28 AM   #13

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
Converter question

From the EMS-PT30X manual a 2 minute 16 second delay on set up is normal operation.

“Re-apply power to the AC power source and verify that there are still no error codes other than E 0 displayed. If no error codes are present the 2 minute 16 seconds (136 seconds) timer will be activated. During this time, the delay indicator located in the bottom right corner of the display will flash. Once the timer has expired, power will pass through the EMS unit to the RV. “

https://www.progressiveindustries.ne...4eb873cf39.pdf
Old 08-03-2022, 12:27 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have a hardwired EMS-HW50C and it has the ability to set a delay time of 15 seconds or 2 minutes 16 seconds. I have mine set to 2:16 to make sure the compressors have time to bleed off during power outages before coming back on.
Nice!!! Chalk up a win for the hardwired EMS-HW50C

My Power Management System that is between my ATS & RV does something similar to manage and shed loads. But my EMS Southwire 50 amp model only looks for faults and in about 15 seconds it sends power to RV ( Power Mgmt System), it will then read and monitor loads.

I will say this; if you have an interruption ( compressors running) it seems like an eternity for that 2 minutes to pass. I love the automation, and just the tools do their jobs, I don't worry about trying to remember what all to start & stop. if I did, no one else (wife, family etc.,) could realistically use the coach. It is intimidating enough as it is.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-03-2022, 12:28 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOIB View Post
From the EMS-PT30X manual a 2 minute 16 second delay on set up is normal operation.

“Re-apply power to the AC power source and verify that there are still no error codes other than E 0 displayed. If no error codes are present the 2 minute 16 seconds (136 seconds) timer will be activated. During this time, the delay indicator located in the bottom right corner of the display will flash. Once the timer has expired, power will pass through the EMS unit to the RV. “

https://www.progressiveindustries.ne...4eb873cf39.pdf
Very helpful information.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:32 PM   #16

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Nice!!! Chalk up a win for the hardwired EMS-HW50C

My Power Management System that is between ATS & RV does something similar to manage and shed loads. But my EMS Southwire 50 amp model looks for faults and in about 15 seconds it sends power to RV ( Power Mgmt System)

I will say this if you have has an interruption ( compressors running) it seems like an eternity for that 2 minutes to pass. I love the automation, and just the tools do their jobs, I don't worry about trying to remember what all to start & stop. if I did, no one else (wife, family etc.,) could realistically use the coach. It is intimidating enough as it is.
And it does work well!!!

Two seasons ago we were in a park with a bad storm overnight. The power kept surging off and on in short bursts.... and before the ~2 minute delat. I didn't lose any sleep (pun intended) worrying about the two A/C compressors and the fridge compressors.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:32 PM   #17

THOR #23201
Thanks for helping clear things up everyone. I was mixing up the auto transfer switch with the converter.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:28 AM   #18

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
The "clunk" is the relays engaging in the transfer switch as soon as voltage is applied.
Thanks Judge. But I know where my clunk is. Was directed at OP.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:54 AM   #19

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Thanks Judge. But I know where my clunk is. Was directed at OP.
The clunk is his ATS as well......
Old 08-05-2022, 04:43 PM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
The clunk is his ATS as well......
You ever read the kids book, I can't said the Ant?

I think it starts with a noise in the Kitchen while the Ant was taking a walk. What's all the Clatter said the Platter"?

Is the clunking and the clattering the same thing? Can you hear clattering even with AC's off and just killing the genny?

In the book, Teapot fell and broke her spout causing the Clatter