Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2021, 09:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Crazy stupid prices

Sold my RV last summer with the idea of upgrading to a class A. Started shopping months ago and I found one constant. I guess the Covid-19 generation is buying up RV's instead of taking their normal flyaway vacations. All this buying has let dealers push up prices on everything because somebody will but it. A nice used class A I considered buying 6 months ago is now $30,000-$60,000 more than it was then. They are marketing real junk like Coachman for top dollars. It is my prediction this buy frenzy will fizzle out come Nov 2021. Driven down by those dumping the RV they bought because it is not what they thought it would be, they find it expensive to maintain and store, or they just discovered it's not for them. In any case I think the market will be flush again with RV's driving down the resale price. All those that are buying now will lose their shirts when the market drops as they are trying to bail out of their purchase.

Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:45 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
The RV, Boat, Snowmobile and ATV industries all boomed because of COVID as people look to do things that will keep them isolated. Prices for used and new eqipment for any of thee recreational activities are at all time highs.

I said several months ago that if people are willing to wait 12 - 18 months, they will get gently used items for a really good price once a bunch of people realize the activity wasn't for them after all plus people will eventually go back to what they did before COVID.

I also snowmobile and used sled prices are ridiculous and many dealers are low or out of inventory. This is crazy because winter is almost nonexistent right now in a lot of places we typically ride.... NY, Michigan, Vermont, Maine.... and winters have been getting shorter with riding harder to come by.

I'm sure more than a few people laid $10K - $13K for a sled and then will get to ride it once or twice and ask themsleves what were they thinking. Next year they will be selling that sled at a big loss.

Same thing will happen with RV's after people see they are work to use.... don't want to deal with the black tank.... have a family of 4 stuck in a sardine can for a long weekend while it is raining every day.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:18 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Wait a while, and a bunch of those newly purchased RVs will be for sale...
Old 01-06-2021, 11:39 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
You can still get normal discounts on new ones if you're willing to order and wait. I got 32% off MSRP on mine. I still have my trailer, and it's winter, so no great hurry for me.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:49 PM   #5

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
That’s my plan.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:10 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
You can still get normal discounts on new ones if you're willing to order and wait. I got 32% off MSRP on mine. I still have my trailer, and it's winter, so no great hurry for me.
So did I.

I started seriously shopping at the end of summer. I first checked Rvtrader for new and newish models of the coach I was interested in. By September used coaches were often advertised for more than new ones (and still are).

So I called a few dealers, those that are always offering low prices on Rvtrader in the Midwest and Texas (I am in Connecticut) and got their offers in hand. One was about 30% off of MSRP. Then I called local dealers. One gave me a price at 30+% off of MSRP and the other quoted $15,000 higher. I laughed at the second guy and placed an order with the first.

It should be delivered in a few weeks.

So new is actually a better buy today, if you are willing to shop and wait for delivery, than used.

David
Old 01-07-2021, 03:23 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I don't think the better quality and higher end or even mid priced RV's are going to hit the market in droves

Now the lower end, most likely but not going to be a big deal at all

Homes in our areas are up 10-20% and new construction is up about the same

Given the 4-5 Trillion of new money created anyone thinking prices for serious tangible goods are going to drop like a rock might be in for a shock

Heck, in a few months we will know and I really hope it is somewhere in the middle but no way are items with decent build quality going to drop like a rock

Simply wishful thinking on many

I might qualify that thought with if we dive into a major recession then certainly some changes but again the bottom end drops first and the hardest
Old 01-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #8

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The RV, Boat, Snowmobile and ATV industries all boomed because of COVID as people look to do things that will keep them isolated. Prices for used and new eqipment for any of thee recreational activities are at all time highs.

I said several months ago that if people are willing to wait 12 - 18 months, they will get gently used items for a really good price once a bunch of people realize the activity wasn't for them after all plus people will eventually go back to what they did before COVID.

I also snowmobile and used sled prices are ridiculous and many dealers are low or out of inventory. This is crazy because winter is almost nonexistent right now in a lot of places we typically ride.... NY, Michigan, Vermont, Maine.... and winters have been getting shorter with riding harder to come by.

I'm sure more than a few people laid $10K - $13K for a sled and then will get to ride it once or twice and ask themsleves what were they thinking. Next year they will be selling that sled at a big loss.

Same thing will happen with RV's after people see they are work to use.... don't want to deal with the black tank.... have a family of 4 stuck in a sardine can for a long weekend while it is raining every day.
100% agree
Old 01-07-2021, 03:48 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
When someone said the same as the op earlier in the week it took me about 15 seconds to find a 2021 24.1 at the same price as a 2018 was new.

I think more than a cursory glance is needed.
Headlines scream.
The news is in the research.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:49 PM   #10

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
When someone said the same as the op earlier in the week it took me about 15 seconds to find a 2021 24.1 at the same price as a 2018 was new.

I think more than a cursory glance is needed.
Headlines scream.
The news is in the research.
right.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #11

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
With a long Long List of unfinished Warranty repairs needed...[and it is out of warranty]
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:44 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
With a long Long List of unfinished Warranty repairs needed...[and it is out of warranty]
That can be addressed during the price negotiations.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:35 AM   #13

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
That can be addressed during the price negotiations.
IF the seller chooses to disclose....
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:45 AM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
A thorough inspection...
Take nothing for granted!
Old 01-08-2021, 02:05 AM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
... And horsepower will,actually be an indication of what your horses can pull.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:13 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
So funny- i was just having this conversation the other day regarding bikes. Wait a year when people lose interest and want to sell their gently used bikes.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:24 PM   #17

Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
THOR #13468
Quote:
I had the same experience, but my research also showed that some were much higher in price, with a variation of $15,000-20,000. It did make me wonder if the higher prices were for real or only wishful thinking on the part of the sellers.

There were also not a lot available on RVTrader. When I looked for 24.1s I only found about 6 or 7 available.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:36 PM   #18

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Youre right, the price swing is incredible.

The $85.5k new 24.1 axis was advertised right next to a $121k New 24.1 axis. I didnt look for the sister VEGAS model.
There were two under $90k nationwide. Not many of them, but they only come in two colors and only one(?) available option.

We drove 2400miles ONE WAY to buy ours, dropped off the rental car and drove the 24.1 back to home.
An adventure no matter if we bought the rv or drove the rental car home.

We didnt make any excuses. We just drove there and bought it.
NOTHING should be locale dependant on such a purchase.

I just looked again as affirmation. I always assume I'm wrong when someone else is adamant, so I thought I'd recheck.
First three at $85.5
Fourth is $121k
The poster above this post, and myself, did the look-see as proof instead of the gossip earworming us.

We had someone on this forum last spring who wouldnt drive 150miles to get their rv at a $5,000 savings.

I think a longer trip than expected can be expected but I think a price point can be found within reasonable expectation.

A friend has a class c for sale here in our area.
Well under 10,000 miles a 2019 or 2020.
He hasn't had a single call at LARGE percentage of savings to the buyer of no sales tax(10%) and 20% below the dealer discounted price.

A large percentage of what we read is selectively read solely to reinforce our stances. Reality oft says different.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:32 PM   #19

Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
THOR #13468
Quote:
Youre right, the price swing is incredible.

The $85.5k new 24.1 axis was advertised right next to a $121k New 24.1 axis. I didnt look for the sister VEGAS model.
There were two under $90k nationwide. Not many of them, but they only come in two colors and only one(?) available option.
I am not absolutely certain but I believe the price of a new 2018 Vegas 24.1 2 years ago when we were looking was $79,9995 or something very close to that. Perhaps another $1000, so $85.500 is not bad. On the other hand $121,000 seems a bit over the top.

Quote:
We had someone on this forum last spring who wouldnt drive 150miles to get their rv at a $5,000 savings.
Offer me a $5,000 savings and I will drive more than just 150 miles, but then again I love going pretty much anyplace in an RV. My wife saw a cat she liked online, but it was about 1,000 miles away and I just told her we should get in the RV and get it. Any excuse to get on the road and out of the house.

I think there are some who are concerned about not getting warranty service if they don't buy locally, but I don't worry about that anymore. We did buy locally and we still can't get local dealer service within any reasonable timeframe. The rear view camera in our RV stopped working and the local dealer told us there was a 3 month wait to get in line, then another 2-3 week wait for the RV to get worked on, then another 2-4 week wait get get parts and get it fixed. So I took it to one of the local 3rd party shops. It still took 2 months to get into the shop, but then they addressed the issue and it is now fixed.

Part of the problem here is that the Phoenix area is a very big snow-bird area and during the Winter the place is overrun with RVs, but even in the summer there is generally a 2 month wait to get into the dealer, so I just decided that I would use a 3rd party shop and an extended warranty.

Quote:
A friend has a class c for sale here in our area.
Well under 10,000 miles a 2019 or 2020.
He hasn't had a single call at LARGE percentage of savings to the buyer of no sales tax(10%) and 20% below the dealer discounted price.
If I buy a another RV I would definitely look at individual sales, but I would also make sure I got an extended warranty because you never know what issues might be hidden. The same is true for an RV you buy from a dealer, but then there generally is some warranty involved, even if only for 30 days or so, and there is someplace to take action against if there are real problems. The same may not be true for an RV bought from an individual. But then again that is the reason for the lower price.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:26 PM   #20

State: Tennessee
THOR #17389
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Sold my RV last summer with the idea of upgrading to a class A. Started shopping months ago and I found one constant. I guess the Covid-19 generation is buying up RV's instead of taking their normal flyaway vacations. All this buying has let dealers push up prices on everything because somebody will but it. A nice used class A I considered buying 6 months ago is now $30,000-$60,000 more than it was then. They are marketing real junk like Coachman for top dollars. It is my prediction this buy frenzy will fizzle out come Nov 2021. Driven down by those dumping the RV they bought because it is not what they thought it would be, they find it expensive to maintain and store, or they just discovered it's not for them. In any case I think the market will be flush again with RV's driving down the resale price. All those that are buying now will lose their shirts when the market drops as they are trying to bail out of their purchase.

Billm1998 I could be the answer to your problem. I have a 2018 Thor ACE 32.1 that I have to sell for health reasons, I just recently listed it on RV Trader. It has the two full bath floor plan. It has 7,300 miles and is better than new. If you are interested drop me a line. billm1998@hotmail.com
If not good luck in your search.

Tags
purchase, rv sales