Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2022, 08:58 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #26270
Looking at a 24 ft Class C

Any model that seems to be better quality than the others so looking at the Chateau and Four Winds, also looking at a used 24 2019 Freedom Elite, new to RV's but the Class B seems to be too small as my grandkids keep saying MAKE SURE THERE IS ROOM FOR US

Any idea why realistically we are looking at for mpg on a 24 ft they are telling us 15-18 I am finding that hard to believe! Thank you in advance for any info

Old 03-19-2022, 09:19 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Whoever is telling you that kind of mileage is lying to you, more like 9-10 with a V10 Ford chassis and I have a FE22
Old 03-19-2022, 09:27 PM   #3

THOR #26270
Well that is exactly what I thought, I knew with that size and weight it wasn't true
Old 03-19-2022, 09:34 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #20184
You can expect about 7 to 8 mpg depending on the roads and speeds you are driving. We went cross country and back last year and averaged 7 1/2 mpg. We were also running the generator when we were traveling.
Old 03-19-2022, 09:52 PM   #5

State: Ohio
THOR #16721
2020 Chateau 24F. Nice for a couples coach, but with the dinette converted and overhead bunk, we're going to take one of our grandkids on a few trips with us this summer.

9 to 10mpg... pulling our Jeep toad - solid 9mpg. Don't count on anything better. With just the two of us and the two pups, we can stretch to 4 days boondocking on 40 gallons fresh water. I optionally carry three seven gallon jugs in the Jeep for longer trips.

Drawbacks... no seating other than the dinette. Planning on installing swivel bases on the cab seats to remedy that. Can't use bed while rolling... BUT the bed is VERY comfy considering a folding mattress. Plenty of storage.
Old 03-19-2022, 10:13 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My Freedom Elite never managed any more than 7 mpg. The good news is that about what you’ll get with any size V10 motor home. A wee bit better if you stay below 65 mph and worse if you go very much over that. But it’s worth it!
Old 03-20-2022, 12:18 AM   #7

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers5466 View Post
Any model that seems to be better quality than the others so looking at the Chateau and Four Winds, also looking at a used 24 2019 Freedom Elite, new to RV's but the Class B seems to be too small as my grandkids keep saying MAKE SURE THERE IS ROOM FOR US

Any idea why realistically we are looking at for mpg on a 24 ft they are telling us 15-18 I am finding that hard to believe! Thank you in advance for any info

Any chance they were referring to the Chateau or Four Winds 24-foot motorhomes built on diesel Mercedes Sprinter? I’ve heard 15-18 MPG should be possible with some Sprinter Class Cs if highway driving speed is kept low.
Old 03-20-2022, 12:55 AM   #8

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
I had a 2020 Jayco 32 foot and I got 8 mpg nothing more nothing less
Old 03-20-2022, 01:08 AM   #9

THOR #26270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Any chance they were referring to the Chateau or Four Winds 24-foot motorhomes built on diesel Mercedes Sprinter? I’ve heard 15-18 MPG should be possible with some Sprinter Class Cs if highway driving speed is kept low.
It was the Gemini 23TW Ford Gas V6 with eco boost.
Old 03-20-2022, 02:26 AM   #10

THOR #2121
Quote:
It was the Gemini 23TW Ford Gas V6 with eco boost.

I expect smaller and lighter Gemini 23TW with a 3.5L EcoBoost V6 should provide much better fuel economy than larger Class C motorhomes with 7.3L V8, but doubt it would get 15 to 18 MPG if driven at normal highway speeds. Maybe if driver hypermiles.

I was referring to Mercedes Sprinter Chateau or Four Winds 24 BL because diesels are generally thought to get as much as 20 to 40 percent higher MPG than equivalent gasoline engines, so 15 ~ 18 MPG might be realistic provided motorhome is small enough and driven reasonably.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	182C37CB-00A0-4674-AF20-342E51F95E0C.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	36522   Click image for larger version

Name:	C142B431-50D0-4F88-BD82-1E79F4B1CC2D.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	36523  

Old 03-20-2022, 04:20 AM   #11

THOR #26270
Thank you I did not know that about Diesel!! My hubby is not Diesel friendly lol not sure what that is about I will have to have a chat with him, he says the Diesel's are more to maintain/repair ???? Thankyou again really appreciate all the feedback!!
Old 03-20-2022, 05:22 AM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:
Thank you I did not know that about Diesel!! My hubby is not Diesel friendly lol not sure what that is about I will have to have a chat with him, he says the Diesel's are more to maintain/repair ???? Thankyou again really appreciate all the feedback!!

To be clear, I’m no longer a diesel fan because of their higher overall cost of ownership, so I wasn’t recommending a Mercedes Sprinter; though there are plenty of RVers who do love them.

For that matter, I personally don’t care for Ford Transit chassis for various reasons, particularly with an EcoBoost engine, so I wasn’t recommending the Gemini either. I don’t want to own a Sprinter or Transit Class C motorhome.
Old 03-20-2022, 05:52 AM   #13

THOR #16721
I have an F-150 with essentially the exact same 3.5 liter twin turbo Ecoboost engine. I towed our Grand Design trailer with it. When not towing, I typically get 20 to 22 mpg. When towing I got 9 to 10 mpg. That tells me that it's more about the weight/mass you're moving than about just the engine.

If you load up a fairly large 10 ton box with the aerodynamics of a concrete block, your fuel efficiency will suck... there's just no way around that in today's world. Maybe in the future??
Old 03-20-2022, 07:40 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
To be clear, I’m no longer a diesel fan because of their higher overall cost of ownership, so I wasn’t recommending a Mercedes Sprinter; though there are plenty of RVers who do love them.

For that matter, I personally don’t care for Ford Transit chassis for various reasons, particularly with an EcoBoost engine, so I wasn’t recommending the Gemini either. I don’t want to own a Sprinter or Transit Class C motorhome.
Funny had this conversation with Kurt our 30 year ACE rv tech. He worked at Bretz rv for decades.
Will only buy a Chevy engine.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:17 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I have an F-150 with essentially the exact same 3.5 liter twin turbo Ecoboost engine. I towed our Grand Design trailer with it. When not towing, I typically get 20 to 22 mpg. When towing I got 9 to 10 mpg. That tells me that it's more about the weight/mass you're moving than about just the engine.

If you load up a fairly large 10 ton box with the aerodynamics of a concrete block, your fuel efficiency will suck... there's just no way around that in today's world. Maybe in the future??

Of the two, I would focus more on motorhome aerodynamics than weight. Always have because we travel on highways more than cities.

Owners who drive short distances to camp won’t consume as much fuel anyway, so it’s not as important, but those who take long trips will likely spend much time on highways driving at higher speeds where aerodynamic drag kills fuel economy.

Weight makes vehicles accelerate and climb slower, but has much less adverse affect on highway fuel economy than poor aerodynamics.

Mercedes Sprinter and Ford Transit motorhomes have advantage of usually being much narrower, often a little lower, and when designed as a B+, significantly more aerodynamic than many Class Cs that can be up to a foot wider and taller. Combined these differences add up to improve fuel economy regardless of engine type.

P.S. — I was not saying EcoBoost is a bad engine, just that in my opinion not necessary for larger trucks and motorhomes where power requirements are usually high. There is a reason they don’t put EcoBoost in larger pickups and motorhomes.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:02 PM   #16

THOR #16721
Chance - I agree 100%. I gave my example to demonstrate my real-world experience... other scenarios likely differ somewhat.

For sheer performance reasons, I'm convinced the V-10 used in my E-350 Ford cutaway MH is the better option, vs. the EcoBoost engine in my pickup... two completely different use cases indeed. The EcoBoost engine shines in economy when not under load... whereas the V-10 is likely to get fairly poor fuel economy regardless of load/demand... it's simply a different animal - legacy old school, BUT very reliable and proven. I CERTAINLY wouldn't want to have that thirsty V-10 in my pickup for daily driving! I think Ford does a good job with assigning the proper engine (tool) for the task.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:31 PM   #17

THOR #2121
The Ford V10 is no longer manufactured, so a non-issue when considering new motorhomes.

New E-350 or E-450 will only have 7.3L V8, which I would personally prefer over my V10, but it too won’t deliver 15 to 18 MPG in a Class C.

P.S. — V10 wasn’t that bad on fuel. In an aero and light van I have gotten as high as 17 MPG for entire tank when driving at around 55 to 60 MPH steady. I rarely drive that slow for over 400 miles though. Around 15 MPG is more common for me. We shouldn’t blame engine when real culprit is 100 square feet of frontal area.
Old 03-20-2022, 05:12 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Now I wonder how our engine compares?
Trinton v10 e450 gas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220320-111048_Chrome.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	36527  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:54 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Elite 24FE
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12891
I have a 2019 freedom elite Mercedes and get 13 mpg avg. And I do drive stints of 70 mpg.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:23 PM   #20

Model: 24fe
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20046
Quote:

I have a Freedom Elite 24fe on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Best conditions: I get around +/-14mpg.