Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2024, 08:33 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro
State: Iowa
Posts: 14
THOR #32616
Dealership question

Hello, first time posting, first time RV owner, we are in the process of buying our first RV , we live six hours from the dealer that we are buying it from we are discussing and dealing mostly over the phone, one of the things the sales person told us is that we need to pay a non listed $2000 inspection fee for the vehicle, this RV was transferred from another dealership and they feel that they need to go through the vehicle again and they want us to pay, iím just curious is this legitimate? I understand that Thor has some quality control issues however I feel that things would be covered under warranty and this does not justify paying a $2000 inspection fee on top. Thanks for your help!

__________________
Imflynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 08:49 PM   #2
It's 'towed', not toad.
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 7,360
THOR #13932
Rv checklist is an app to use.
If you fail to check any box, tell them to get stuffed and walk away.
IF
You don't tell them to get stuffed, as you should, about that $2,000.

And most of all;
Congratulations on finding this forum before purchase.
You are 1:500

Better to ask now than to whine later.

Thanks for being aware.
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 08:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveler A32
State: Texas
Posts: 131
THOR #30793
My guess is that there isn't any "inspection." It seems like a dubious way for the selling dealer to up their profits, maybe even flat out fraud. Ask for copies of other inspections that have been done when a vehicle is transferred so you can see the types of issues the inspection finds. Also, ask what is done with the inspection results. Who pays for any necessary items found on the RV? Are they going to reduce your price if they find problems that need repair?

Instead, why don't you propose that you pay for your own pre-sale inspection using an independent inspector? Then you can use the results to further negotiate price or repairs. There appear to be lots of services available with NRVIA certified inspectors. A quick Google search shows a few in my area of Texas, all seem to do inspections FOR LESS than $2000 even if you have motor oil, transmission, and coolant tested.
__________________
David_Reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 09:37 PM   #4
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 14,854
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Reaves View Post
My guess is that there isn't any "inspection." It seems like a dubious way for the selling dealer to up their profits, maybe even flat out fraud. Ask for copies of other inspections that have been done when a vehicle is transferred so you can see the types of issues the inspection finds. Also, ask what is done with the inspection results. Who pays for any necessary items found on the RV? Are they going to reduce your price if they find problems that need repair?

Instead, why don't you propose that you pay for your own pre-sale inspection using an independent inspector? Then you can use the results to further negotiate price or repairs. There appear to be lots of services available with NRVIA certified inspectors. A quick Google search shows a few in my area of Texas, all seem to do inspections FOR LESS than $2000 even if you have motor oil, transmission, and coolant tested.
What DR said above.

The don't inspect new coaches before delivery, why would they inspect an "already inspected" RV from another dealer (that THEY don't trust did the inspection).

Pre-delivery inspections are on the dealer side of the ledger. Don't pay them a cent until YOU are satisfied it passed YOUR inspection, And since you are a first time RV owner, pay a third party technician to do the inspection for/with you.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad - Selling
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:35 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
saddlesore's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
Posts: 953
THOR #3916
Dealerships are nic-named "Stealerships" for a reason..
__________________
current coach
An SOB Shack called Foretravel...This will Do.
former coach
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:38 PM   #6
It's 'towed', not toad.
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 7,360
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Dealerships are nic-named "Stealerships" for a reason..
But
Sheep are for shearing.
Go in blind, come out poor.
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 4,378
THOR #16721
LOL! Be brave and tell this dealer you're cutting ties with them due to their unscrupulous behavior... AFTER you post your findings on social media. They should take the hint.

Then find another dealer.
__________________
Be creative, and have a fun life...
...and don't be an @**hole! -Ken Block
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 11:37 PM   #8
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
Posts: 8,841
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imflynt View Post
Hello, first time posting, first time RV owner, we are in the process of buying our first RV , we live six hours from the dealer that we are buying it from we are discussing and dealing mostly over the phone, one of the things the sales person told us is that we need to pay a non listed $2000 inspection fee for the vehicle, this RV was transferred from another dealership and they feel that they need to go through the vehicle again and they want us to pay, iím just curious is this legitimate? I understand that Thor has some quality control issues however I feel that things would be covered under warranty and this does not justify paying a $2000 inspection fee on top. Thanks for your help!
Is this Camping World? Hire your own independent inspector. Much cheaper and more reliable.
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 11:25 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bob Nodine's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
Posts: 767
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imflynt View Post
Hello, first time posting, first time RV owner, we are in the process of buying our first RV , we live six hours from the dealer that we are buying it from we are discussing and dealing mostly over the phone, one of the things the sales person told us is that we need to pay a non listed $2000 inspection fee for the vehicle, this RV was transferred from another dealership and they feel that they need to go through the vehicle again and they want us to pay, iím just curious is this legitimate? I understand that Thor has some quality control issues however I feel that things would be covered under warranty and this does not justify paying a $2000 inspection fee on top. Thanks for your help!
As others have said it is just a dealer add on to increase profit. They should check the RV as part of the sale but usually don't. They know you live to far away to be much of a pest after the sale and most likely will just suffer with the problems. The independent inspector is a very very good plan since you are new to RVing. Don't use an inspector that they recommend. Find your own and pay them directly without going thru the dealership. Make sure the dealer fixes everything the inspector finds before you sign the sales papers. Once you sign you will be basically ignored by the dealership and if they agree to fixe something it will be on their terms. In other words, your RV will sit on their lot for months at a time and often when you pick it up the problem will still be there.
__________________
Bob
2022 Quantum JM31
2023 Colorado Z71
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 12:01 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Dynamax Isata 3 24FWSFX
State: Florida
Posts: 4,215
THOR #12751
If you pay $2000 or buy from that dealership, you could be certified as insane.

First question I ask any dealer is the OTD Price (Out-the-Door) price with all fees spelled out in the quote before I start negotiating. If I see crap like dealer prep and other fees, I tell them those get dropped or I walk.

I just purchased a 2024 Dynamax Isata 3 24FWSFX. I did a 25-page PDI Check-List that I designed for this specific coach. It took my wife and I both 8-hours over two visits before I signed off on the coach. I did as good... and probably a better job... than an RV Inspector because this is a new generation Lithium powered coach with no generator or propane and I educated myself thoroughly plus I have owned other coaches so I know wha to look for in terms of potential issues. The other advantage of doing the PDI myself is I know how ever single system operates on the coach before I drive it off the lot.

However, since you are new to RV's you would want to higher an RV Inspector as recommended because the Stealership and the OEM will miss many issues that you will get to inherit once you sign on the dotted line.... warranty or no warranty. Once you drop significant cash, the last thing you want it for it to sit at the dealership for 6 months waiting for it to be fixed while the warranty clock ticks and you aren't using it.

The dealer that I recently purchased from is a small dealer. From the beginning they added no fees..... just the RV price and $311 for documentation, notary, registration, etc. After my completed PDI and I agreed to move forward with the purchase they didn't try to sell me..... an extended warranty..... a paint protection package..... an interior protection package...... a tire / wheel package.... or a pre-purchased maintenance plan. All they did was sell me a coach with no BS and that is all I wanted.

And finally.... if you purchase from a dealer who is several hours away, I would only take it to the Manufacturer Factory Service Center for warranty service. Their techs know your rig better than any dealer.... they have more experience on your model than most dealers..... they have access to parts.... and they know the weaknesses of what they build and where to look for problems you may not see. Make sure your Manufacturer offers Factory Service, where it is located and be prepared to use it if needed.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 01:44 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro
State: Iowa
Posts: 14
THOR #32616
So, I told the salesman we will not pay for inspection, at first he was bucky, I told him we will buy elsewhere, conversation ended. A bit later he called back and said his manager agreed to wave the inspection fee.
Later the finance manager called to finalize the deal and I told him I want an email stating the itemized out the door price and that I assumed it would be advertised price plus paperwork fee, plus I wanted the itemized inspection report.
We'll see how it goes, we will not be travelling till next Friday. I have other options out the if things change again!

Off the subject, Its hard to believe no class b RV comes with a spare tire! I have looked at options and will probably purchase a carrier and take off wheel and jack, its this normal? Is this what you guys did?
Thank again!
__________________
Imflynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 01:52 PM   #12
It's 'towed', not toad.
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 7,360
THOR #13932
It's normal.
No spare has been a thing since always on certain class vehicles.
And
There is NO REASON to trust their inspection report.

Use rvchecklist and do at least three hours of checking.
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 03:56 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro
State: Iowa
Posts: 14
THOR #32616
I got the App now thanks!
__________________
Imflynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 04:07 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 5,805
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imflynt View Post
we live six hours from the dealer that we are buying it from we are discussing and dealing mostly over the phone,
Thing 1.

Have you seen the RV in person to look over? If so what did the condition look like to you. If you have not seen, I would NOT assume that all will be well when you do see.

Thing 2.
The Dealer has already proven to you they will play games. Don't assume the games are over because you caught them at on shady sales tactic. There will be more. They may know it is your 1st RV and their job is to get as much money out of you ads possible. Assume they are very good about what they do, because they are. Nothing wrong or illegal about exploiting customers who don't ask questions or state their ground. Some people just see a payment they know they can pay, a shiny toy and sign on the line. Then the cry a foul blaming TMC quality.

Thing 3.
All may not agree with me, but my view is that if you can't learn how or can conduct your own PDI, you should NOT buy an RV. I don't even trust the Inspectors that I could have hired with such a purchase. Take your time, get a PDI Checklist and learn what it is and you personally go through that entire list. If there is something in your list that you don't understand as questions. I conducted 4 PDIs before I finally found one that passed. I was amazed at how some things found the Dealer's refused to fix or wanted to fix after the sale. I walked. Besides, your Day experience will be better if you already know how everything works.

You did not say, or I missed the year or if RV was new. All of the RV's I looked at were new. It was my 1st RV too. It did not take long to learn how to do the PDI. Just a lot of time and cooperative dealer to allow you to conduct it. i.e. Basically you just proving that EVERYTHING works. EVERYTHING assume NOTHING. Water heater, hot cold faucets every switch, every door, every light, battery cutoff, propane gas etc if you have.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 04:18 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 4,378
THOR #16721
PLEASE... save yourself much grief! HIRE an independent RV inspector. DO NOT rely on ANYTHING this (or any) dealer tells you about "inspections"! This cannot be stressed enough... especially for a first time buyers.

You are NOT purchasing a car. Purchasing a new RV is a unique animal. Many things/systems are BROKEN or non-functional when delivered to the dealer... YES on a NEW RV!! AND the rig will sit that way until a potential buyer comes along. Guaranteed... the salesperson's goal is to get you to sign BEFORE anything is fixed. Then you'll be posting on forums about the nightmare you just created for yourself.

So... follow Judge's advice above. He KNOWS! And... hire that INDEPENDENT inspector... NOT the dealer's flunky. The few hundred bucks spent on a qualified inspector is money well spent!
__________________
Be creative, and have a fun life...
...and don't be an @**hole! -Ken Block
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 05:01 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Scubawise's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
Posts: 5,294
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
If you pay $2000 or buy from that dealership, you could be certified as insane.

First question I ask any dealer is the OTD Price (Out-the-Door) price with all fees spelled out in the quote before I start negotiating. If I see crap like dealer prep and other fees, I tell them those get dropped or I walk.

I just purchased a 2024 Dynamax Isata 3 24FWSFX. I did a 25-page PDI Check-List that I designed for this specific coach. It took my wife and I both 8-hours over two visits before I signed off on the coach. I did as good... and probably a better job... than an RV Inspector because this is a new generation Lithium powered coach with no generator or propane and I educated myself thoroughly plus I have owned other coaches so I know wha to look for in terms of potential issues. The other advantage of doing the PDI myself is I know how ever single system operates on the coach before I drive it off the lot.

However, since you are new to RV's you would want to higher an RV Inspector as recommended because the Stealership and the OEM will miss many issues that you will get to inherit once you sign on the dotted line.... warranty or no warranty. Once you drop significant cash, the last thing you want it for it to sit at the dealership for 6 months waiting for it to be fixed while the warranty clock ticks and you aren't using it.

The dealer that I recently purchased from is a small dealer. From the beginning they added no fees..... just the RV price and $311 for documentation, notary, registration, etc. After my completed PDI and I agreed to move forward with the purchase they didn't try to sell me..... an extended warranty..... a paint protection package..... an interior protection package...... a tire / wheel package.... or a pre-purchased maintenance plan. All they did was sell me a coach with no BS and that is all I wanted.

And finally.... if you purchase from a dealer who is several hours away, I would only take it to the Manufacturer Factory Service Center for warranty service. Their techs know your rig better than any dealer.... they have more experience on your model than most dealers..... they have access to parts.... and they know the weaknesses of what they build and where to look for problems you may not see. Make sure your Manufacturer offers Factory Service, where it is located and be prepared to use it if needed.
Congratulations
Nice looking rig.
Let us know how the non generator massive 600 ah lithium performs

https://youtu.be/py65f0GQxoU?si=ApQsvLqBfgAfXzoS
__________________
LAS CRUCES 2020 Thor Vegas 25.6
Lora & George. 2 Multi-Gen Australian labradoodles & Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 05:22 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro
State: Iowa
Posts: 14
THOR #32616
The RV is a 2023 new old stock with 500 miles, so I assume it has been sitting?

Sounds good, really appreciate the help and eye openers, I am an experienced mechanic with autos new and old and handy at home, I dont hire contractors to do the work I learn it and do it myself, and of course there is always a learning curve, but yr right combine the two and its a totally different beast, the home on wheels, which I have no experience besides common sense! Thank you all for the info and guidance, I think, hopefully have advanced my learning curve!
I will let you know how it goes, next weekend!
__________________
Imflynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 06:39 PM   #18
It's 'towed', not toad.
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 7,360
THOR #13932
But,
If you hire the pro inspector, or if someone knowledgeable on this forum is located near you
You'll be buying the short course on;
One way valves inserted wrong
Roof joints
Tape vs goo
Tail light leaks
Soft floor
Tire dates
Battery dates
Toilet seals

And all the other crap that happened from a unit sitting on a lot.

He'll open the ac unit and make sure the intake and exhaust are set correctly in their frame.
They'll know if the slide sounds wrong for it's size.

They'll give hell to the dealer you'd rather not.

Good cop
Bad cop.

I say this because you are competent and can look over a shoulder to learn all that becomes pertinent.

I say often
"I'm smart enough to do this job
Which
Makes me smart enough to hire a pro to do this job".
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 07:34 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 5,805
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imflynt View Post
The RV is a 2023 new old stock with 500 miles, so I assume it has been sitting?

Sounds good, really appreciate the help and eye openers, I am an experienced mechanic with autos new and old and handy at home, I dont hire contractors to do the work I learn it and do it myself, and of course there is always a learning curve, but yr right combine the two and its a totally different beast, the home on wheels, which I have no experience besides common sense! Thank you all for the info and guidance, I think, hopefully have advanced my learning curve!
I will let you know how it goes, next weekend!
Brand new sitting on a Dealer lot means MORE USED by people that don't own and Dealers that don't care. I know from 1st hand experience because I knew exactly what brand new model, color and year I wanted. My problem, or real world challenge is the fact that I wanted the lowest price for the same. Dealers sold the RVs at the lowest price based on age sitting on lots.

90% of items that failed my PDI was cause by sitting or people breaking things, misusing or abusing equipment like the slides or hydraulics.

Also unless you plan to buy local and this coach is not you will need to find an Inspector that is local to that Dealer. How do you really know who is who? In my cases, I had no Inspectors that I talked to that gave me a warm fuzzy. I usually just had business card or some names floating around a few RV Dealers. It can't hurt trusting someone ( only money) but the same true for their $2000 Inspection ( just money) some have spare money to pay and some don't.

You are a mechanic so you have that technical skillset to balance that all out. I view things somewhat differently. My goal of PDI was not to catch Mfg failures that could occur, but was to capture all of the should have been known items not operational or functional. I admit I did not properly inspect the roof (lack of knowledge). If I was buying used I would have thought differently.

For perspective we had 50 plus items on one punch list, my Mother if patient would have identified 30 of those. I am sure we missed some because an expert may have had 70 or then again ( and more likely) the expert may have only found 15. Only 10 of what I identified they may have viewed as an issue and maybe 5 other things I was not smart enough to find. We knew when it was the right time to buy because the RV we found has zero issues after our over anal 6 hour PDI. If I had missed something, I would have had a year to find.

To be clear, I would NEVER buy a Used RV without trusting someone to inspect or survey, it is no different than buying a used boat.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 10:30 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro
State: Iowa
Posts: 14
THOR #32616
Thanks again guys for the insight, I hired a certified independent inspection, he will do a compete inspection of the Class B RV, I will get a report with photos and if there is any reflags he will call immediately!
This will be done at the dealership, they will have it hooked up to electrical and water. The dealer had no problem with this!
__________________
Imflynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dealer, inspection, scam

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2