Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2021, 01:15 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Michigan
THOR #17911
DEF Question

2018 Thor Synergy MB Sprinter 24ft Diesel
Ran low on def, not out...
Warning chime came on about every 10 seconds. Got stopped and added fluid.
No engine issues, ran fine.
Problem now is that the chime comes on at different times. Once in a half hour or every five minutes. Refilled again with no change in chiming.
Any suggestions, other than taking it into MB for service charge?
Thought I would disconnect chassis battery to see if computer would reset?
Thanks
Larry

Old 07-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Problem now is that the chime comes on at different times. Once in a half hour or every five minutes. Refilled again with no change in chiming.
Thanks
Larry
Usually several restarts with no indication of low DEF will reset the alarm

Some have tried to power down with mixed success

Seems to be different per the various software packages on the different ECM's

I had one warning after parking on a very sloped parking lot with about 1/3 tank. It did reset on about the 4th start
Old 07-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Michigan
THOR #17911
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Usually several restarts with no indication of low DEF will reset the alarm

Some have tried to power down with mixed success

Seems to be different per the various software packages on the different ECM's

I had one warning after parking on a very sloped parking lot with about 1/3 tank. It did reset on about the 4th start

Thank you....will wait awhile and try disconnecting.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:44 PM   #4

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
The DEF system is fragile and sensitive and not similar to other systems, like fuel, where you add it and the gauges record that right away. Be an observant driver and don't let it get low or empty. When we went to AK the advice for fuel is operate off the top half of the tank. Do the same with DEF. That's not going to have any effect on other DEF problems like failed DEF heads, mis-fueling, etc. but it will help keep you out of some trouble.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:52 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Just a side note, on my recent 5,000 mile trip, I went through 5 gallons of DEF. On my Sprinter, I can check the DEF level from inside by scrolling through the dash functions to get to the DEF level function. After about every 2,000 miles I add 2 1/2 gallons of DEF to the tank.

Paul
Old 07-28-2021, 07:29 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The F550 chassis requires you turn key off in order for the gauge to reset and the system recognize the tank has been filled. I ran low, added fluid...still got warnings even after shutting off key for a bit. The next morning it showed the tank full when leaving camp. Those systems have a mind of their own. Just keep it near full going forward.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:39 PM   #7

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The F550 chassis requires you turn key off in order for the gauge to reset and the system recognize the tank has been filled. I ran low, added fluid...still got warnings even after shutting off key for a bit. The next morning it showed the tank full when leaving camp. Those systems have a mind of their own. Just keep it near full going forward.
I was at 1/3? tank yesterday and put in a 2 1/2g refill. First on the Omni the filler location is under a slide up high so I had to run the slide in before we left just to have room. Getting the DEF in was slow and it burped out a few times splattering me some on the leg. I did finally manage to coax the jug in but it's a pain due to filler location and I suspect the routing of the filler tube to the onboard tank. I haven't tried filling at a bulk filler at a fuel station yet but hopefully that would be better. I didn't think about the DEF gauge till a couple hours later and it showed the additional DEF in the tank. I was shutdown when adding.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 07-30-2021, 02:28 PM   #8

Model: Omni SV34
State: Colorado
THOR #22921
Check out this Ford spout…really helps with F550/Omni:

Spout https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008B5WVF8...p_mob_ap_share
Old 07-30-2021, 02:39 PM   #9

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupajoe147 View Post
Check out this Ford spout…really helps with F550/Omni:

Spout https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008B5WVF8...p_mob_ap_share
Without examine the actual spout, how does that differ from what's attached to each jug you get at Walmart? From the picture on the ad it looks the same. Problem I had was trying to get the stuff to flow out of the jug into the truck filler without it backing up and burping out. That and just getting it to flow at all. I'm all for not having a DEF foot treatment.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 08-04-2021, 08:43 PM   #10

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Alberta
THOR #3333
def filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Without examine the actual spout, how does that differ from what's attached to each jug you get at Walmart? From the picture on the ad it looks the same. Problem I had was trying to get the stuff to flow out of the jug into the truck filler without it backing up and burping out. That and just getting it to flow at all. I'm all for not having a DEF foot treatment.
I bought a little battery operated pump $15. and use it exclusively for def. Leave the jug on the ground and pump till it's full.
works great.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:43 AM   #11

Model: Sierra
State: Texas
THOR #5022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Thanks
Larry
Forgive me for joining in this thread with my own similar problem on my 2014 Sprinter Mercedes. I had a msg that said service A was x days past due. Thinking it had to do with def, I topped off the tank with about 2 gals. A couple days later a msg came on about def. Now I can't clear either msg even though all fluids levels are ok and I had recently changed oil & filter. Stopped at a Mercedes dealer today to get a technician to reset the computer but they tell me they have to run a diagnostic test and won't be able to do it for about 10 days. Surely, it can be reset without their test gear hooked up. No? I tried to use the instructions on You Tube without success. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but can't believe it has to be hooked up to a diagnostic system to reset these 2 msgs. I want to take a trip this wk but don't want to go if I get stranded because the computer won't reset. Need advice please.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:23 AM   #12

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I haven't had the DEF message, but have had the past due on service message. I was still able to drive it with no issues even though the past due kept reappearing. When I talked to a MB service writer, he told me that the service message comes on after the time period has been reached no matter if the mileage still has a ways to go before an actual service is due. Usually the DEF message comes on if you let the DEF go to almost empty. I always refill just after I get to the half way mark. At halfway, I need to refill with 2 1/2 gallons of DEF to fill the tank back to full. It holds 5 gallons of DEF in the Sprinter.

Paul
Old 08-05-2021, 11:53 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds
THOR #24260
On some vehicles, my dodge in particular, the def gauge is like a sonar, it looks through the fluid to the top, does a math thing and determines the amount of def in the tank. I found when the tank got low, filler her all the way up. After about three engine cycles, the gauges read properly again.
Just a thought.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:03 PM   #14

Model: MAGNITUDE XG32
State: Arizona
THOR #24857
I have the magnitude 2020 with the 550 chassis and the def is on the left. My d e f was hard to fill, until I found out that if you Pullin to a rest stop for example make sure your DEF fill side is on the high side of your rig so your rig leans a little bit to the right. With a funnel filled just fine in 2 minutes . If your rig is level the def is hard to fill, took me over 45 minutes for just 2.5 gallons as it burped back out all the time.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:08 PM   #15

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
If you look at the flexible tube on the def jugs the little black rubber built into the cap is supposed to vent the jig as it empties but what they don’t tell you is that vent should be at the top when pouring to break the vacuum, what I do is after starting to pour I use my pocket knife and puncture a small hole in the jug and it will flow out 3 times faster