Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2021, 03:29 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Van Campers Surpass Class A

The following August data is the first I have ever seen showing that van campers exceeded Class As in any volume report (whether sales, shipments, or whatever measure).

The trend towards more compact campers has been growing for years, but I’m surprised how fast younger and new buyers pushed van campers over Class As. It may not stay like this for long, but that it happened this quickly is somewhat surprising.

The question I have is whether this will remain long term, or if these new and younger buyers will start to “upsize/upgrade” in a few years like generations before?

Also, will manufacturers finally start to offer more compact Class As that challenge van campers for those who like smaller size for maneuverability and or greater fuel economy due to environmental concerns? Interesting times.

https://rvbusiness.com/rv-shipment-r...ost-big-gains/

Old 09-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I'm betting on the upgrade. I slept on the ground in a tent when in my early 20s... pooped in primitive outhouses and washed in the creek.

If I slept on the ground now, you'd have to call the morgue in the morning! Those were fun times, but I bought our coach with all those convenience items for a reason... I can't do without my shower, REAL crapper, kitchen and comfortable bed... heat & air conditioner if needed.

Those kids... spending north of $200k and STILL not having those basic conveniences. I guess I'm spoiled or old fashioned, but they'll eventually figure it out.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:14 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yeah... They'll get bit by the "Bigger, better, longer, heavier, supersized" bug; after about two or three years...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #4

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
.....cut....

If I slept on the ground now, you'd have to call the morgue in the morning! Those were fun times, but I bought our coach with all those convenience items for a reason... I can't do without my shower, REAL crapper, kitchen and comfortable bed... heat & air conditioner if needed.

.....cut.....

I’m not following your point entirely, because most Class B van campers today have showers, toilet, kitchen, beds, A/C and heat, etc. Granted, these are much smaller than in larger motorhomes, likely making them less comfortable, but hardly a tent and sleeping on cold ground.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:42 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I’m not following your point entirely, because most Class B van campers today have showers, toilet, kitchen, beds, A/C and heat, etc. Granted, these are much smaller than in larger motorhomes, likely making them less comfortable, but hardly a tent and sleeping on cold ground.
My intent was merely stating how my preference/tolerance have changed over the years from when I was a flexible young pup - who could sleep on a concrete floor . If I would have had a current day class B when I was 24, I would have thought I died and went to "camper Heaven"!

In my CURRENT world, a "wet bath" doesn't meet my qualifications for a shower. But when I was 24?? That would have been wonderful!! Today I could probably get it done, but most likely I'd have back cramps. If we were boondocking, two "navy showers" and we'd be out of water. When I was 24, a washcloth, bar of soap and towel down at the creek was fine.

Just showing how my own personal prefs have changed in 40+ years. Does that make sense?

Some newer class Bs are doing wonders with better designs, but by making things "bigger, better, roomier", you defeat the purpose of a light maneuverable van. And I think that's the draw for the young crowd.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #6

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
....cut....

Just showing how my own personal prefs have changed in 40+ years. Does that make sense?

Some newer class Bs are doing wonders with better designs, but by making things "bigger, better, roomier", you defeat the purpose of a light maneuverable van. And I think that's the draw for the young crowd.

Yes, makes sense. I have similar opinion, but view large 21-foot ProMaster vans almost like a tiny Class A, except with advantages of OEM design and build quality.

ProMaster vans have about 50% more volume than my Extended Ford E-350, yet are only 1 foot longer, so it would be a huge upgrade in space for us. I’m just hoping the new 9-speed makes the vans drive better than old 6-speed, and that they are less prone to problems.

I can see the appeal of a go-anywhere camper for couples who are not too large or travel with children. As we get older, I still like the versatility of a van even though we have to sacrifice space compared to smallest As and Cs. A new motorhome would need to shrink to size of a Winnebago EKKO before I would seriously consider not having a van camper.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:51 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I think its a combo of many reasons. "Tiny Houses" are cool by the younger generation, uncertainty of future fuel costs, quality of the average Class A front end/dash/components, space availability in national parks and a more general purpose vehicle that can be broke down in minutes ans used as a "day cruiser" with the ability to park in most places cars can. Once we tame the Wild, Wild West in 2022 we will downsize seriously but not to the extent of a no-slide van camper...probably something like Bob has or a tad larger...as long as nothing inside is convertible (having to fold beds for sofas, dinettes for seating, wet baths, etc. I love the monster we have ow but it sure has it's challenges in tight places and small spaces...especially when pulling the car hauler.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:17 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We went from tent to a Coachman class B in the early 90's. It was a huge step up from sleeping on an air mattress. And like so many others in our age group we progressed up the RV ladder over the years, owning a couple different Class C's. Now we are into a small A for the first time. Would I downsize back to a camper van? In my mid 60's now I would have to say no. Though I am impressed at how far B's have come since our Coachman the room in our ACE would make getting that small again a deal breaker for us.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:33 PM   #9

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
20s: slept on sand, mud, and rocks: corpsman with Marines
30s: tent with our little girl then to a tent trailer
40's: Back on the ground with Mountain Search and Rescue
60s: RV with room to not shower sitting on the toilet and space for grandkids, and two dogs.We enjoyed every phase and really enjoying what our Class A provides even though it is only 35ft.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:56 PM   #10

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
We largely have a bunch of old farts, and fartettes, trying to figure what and how the much younger generations are thinking. Lost cause. Some of us who now can claim to "elevated old fart" status, now are downsizing, getting away from the 40'++ DP and towable to smaller C/Super C or towable for our travels. Full timers will likely and largely still be in the go large crowd but trippers, week or month long, are going shorter. Short has a limit for us obviously and a B, while cute, ain't happening.

The younger and newer entries, talking people here, into the RV world are totally unpredictable and just as many who upsize will "outsize", get out of camping altogether. VRBO and equivalent lets them go different places without the mess and work of an RV. Move in ready with no work, no preparation.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
For us: the 25'7" Class C is the ideal size.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:52 PM   #12

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
For us: the 25'7" Class C is the ideal size.
I though so too but that quickly grew to 33'.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 10-04-2021, 12:59 AM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
....cut.... VRBO and equivalent lets them go different places without the mess and work of an RV. Move in ready with no work, no preparation.

No work and no preparation sounds good to me also. Always has. If I wanted to spend my free time fixing problems and doing maintenance, I wouldn’t have retired early.

That’s also one of the reasons I prefer the smallest and simplest motorhome that can get the job done. While all motorhomes require work, a simple well-built van that can also serve as a second or third car, parked at home and driven regularly, means it can be ready for a trip within a moment’s notice.

In my opinion present van options are nearly perfect in size for our needs, with exception that they could be a little wider.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:48 AM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Had a 1981 Ford customized van by Bivouac 4 captains chairs, jack knife sofa in back. A sink that carried 5 gallons and worked with a hand pump. Emptied on the ground. And a 2 cu ft ice box. I traveled all over the US in that over 2 years. Oh, I forgot…a 5 inch 12 volt B&W TV set. Just like the All in the Family theme…Those we’re the days.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:01 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
There are sooo many #vanlife youtube channels with mid-20-something, lower-30-something couples in their van campers (some self-built). I'm sure they are inspiring others to go out and do the same.

Many of them full time or semi-full time it (something I don't think I could do in that little bit of space).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:44 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Yeah, and for those who like the “kit” approach, why not start with a blank canvas instead of painting over someone else’s mess?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A860770F-2402-4B30-B546-BA4D03027661.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	34124  
Old 10-04-2021, 06:09 PM   #17

THOR #22586
Quote:
Yeah, and for those who like the “kit” approach, why not start with a blank canvas instead of painting over someone else’s mess?
Because most of the younger types who get these are the move in ready type and don't want to modify anything. Same as for housing, no desire to personalize it or remodel it. Those things take time and effort and the electronic game/look it up on google crowd doesn't have the will for that.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 10-04-2021, 06:28 PM   #18

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
40 years ago, 60 lbs ago and before I met Arthur that idea would be appealing. Now I will stick to maintaining and upgrading someone else's design!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #19

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
40 years ago, 60 lbs ago and before I met Arthur that idea would be appealing. Now I will stick to maintaining and upgrading someone else's design!
The oldfartasaurus crowd, to which I belong, had and have imagination and desires to make it ours and not just a generic version. I'm past the severe or significant remodel stage, but I do upgrade and change things around to fit us better.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 10-04-2021, 06:36 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
X 2!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote