Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2021, 05:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Driving to Dayton, OH via I-70 (question on road/weather condition)

We are leaving tomorrow morning for Dayton, OH, then Pensacola, FL, then New Orleans, LA, San Antonio, TX, Waco, TX, back to Las Vegas.

From Vegas to Dayton, we will be taking I-70. Going through Denver, CO, part of Kansas, MO, IL, IN. Weather forecast in the Kansas, MO and IL area shows "partial Thunderstorm". I know this is Tornado season around that area. I don't mind moderate rain. I'm a bit worried about High Winds, Flash Flood. I purchased a NOAA portable weather radio to keep track on weather as we drive. Also downloaded couple of weather tracking apps.

Any suggestions to keep us safe (other than cancelling the trip)? Road condition, weather tips, etc? We have made all CG reservations for the trip. Travelling with 3 people, 2 dogs. Pulling our mini Cooper on a tow dolly.

Thanks.

ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 02:00 AM   #2

Model: 2021 Chateau 28A
State: North Carolina
THOR #23131
Won't comment on road conditions going that direction, but last week I was on 70 westbound from Salina to I-15 in Utah and the road conditions were less then impressive. I did not need to fuel up crossing the KS/CO border but should have while still in KS as gas rose .79-.80 a gal in CO.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:23 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Been in the Quad Cities for a few days (I80). IL roads are horrible. Been raining most of the time with some serious lightening and thunder last night. Also while driving I64 through IL the crosswinds could sneak up on you.

Safe travels
Old 06-26-2021, 04:00 AM   #4

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
I live in Mo just north of Kansas city. I wouldn't worry about the weather forecast too much, we have had a lot of rain the last 2 days 4" here at the house. The storms can be spotty, meaning you have to be in the right place at the right time and the weather changes quite frequently. Take your trip and your route and enjoy. If you see a storm in front of you pull off and wait a bit it will pass through.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #5

THOR #21278
Thanks folks. Leaving Vegas in 30 mins. First stop Grand Junction, CO.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #6

THOR #21278
We are about to leave KOA Holiday in Grand Junction. Yesterday, I70 was closed in both directions around 3PM near Glenwood Springs due to mudslide. Luckily, our first stop is before that area. Today, they re-opened but are still on clearing stage.

Bad news from yesterday as we pull in to KOA. It looked like my tire strap passenger side hit the brake caliper line. Brake fluid flowed all over the place. Now we have to make a stop (start calling tomorrow) at a Mini Cooper dealership somewhere in Cincinnati, OH. Im hoping they have the part needed to fix the problem.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:13 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22687
You should be OK coming thru Dayton. It's been awhile, but there was a MST of construction around Indianapolis. MST - Metric Shit Ton.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:04 AM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by standerson View Post
You should be OK coming thru Dayton. It's been awhile, but there was a MST of construction around Indianapolis. MST - Metric Shit Ton.

But 70 is open and ok at Indy.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:15 AM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Sometimes it's not only the weather, but worries about blowing a tire/breaking an axle on some of the extremely poor freeway conditions! I was on a section of I-75 and it looked like an off-road course... freeway upkeep has gone to hell over the last 30 years.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:52 AM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Sometimes it's not only the weather, but worries about blowing a tire/breaking an axle on some of the extremely poor freeway conditions! I was on a section of I-75 and it looked like an off-road course... freeway upkeep has gone to hell over the last 30 years.

Sure has!
Old 06-28-2021, 02:25 AM   #11

THOR #21278
Just stopped at I70 rest area in Kansas (Goodland). Will spend the night here. 6-10 mph gust wind. No rain. Should be fine for the night. I lowered my levelers to stabilize the RV and prevent too much sway from the wind. Nice rest area. 2 separate lanes for RVs and trucks, behind each other and not side by side.

The I70 East going through Denver was horrible. Took almost 2 hrs for a 50 mile stretch, going up and down the passes.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:24 PM   #12

State: Colorado
THOR #11314
The part of I-70 through Colorado will be the worst part of your drive. Terrible potholes for much of the way. Once you leave the State of Colorado I-70 improves dramatically.