Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2021, 05:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Citation 24ST
State: Idaho
THOR #21855
Filling fresh water tank without hose?

We have a new to us 2015 Thor Citation 24ST. Wondering if it is possible to fill the fresh water tank by pouring water from water jugs into it if we don't have access to a spigot?

Old 05-11-2021, 06:33 AM   #2

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Not responding based on your model, but yes, should be an access fill cap in the compartment where the tank sits.
Gary

GVP
Old 05-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
My only question is what would stop you from gravity filling a gravity filled fresh water tank? Be it a water hose or jugs, what's the difference?
Old 05-11-2021, 12:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Not all rigs have a fresh water fill on the side. Mine does not, does yours?

Without the water fill, no; with the water fill, yes.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:04 PM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Use an container adapter that enters the fill port or some type funnel to speed it up
Old 05-11-2021, 12:25 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Mine does not have a gravity water fill at all. I can only fill with the fresh water/city water hose through the Anderson KantLeak valve turned to the tank position.

Paul
Old 05-11-2021, 01:09 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
As noted above, some MHs do not have a gravity fill fitting. You could rig up a small pump connected to a 5 gallon water jug and pump water into the pressurized fresh water connection. It would be tedious though.

A gravity fresh water fill port could be added depending on where the tank is located.

This is one reason why a gravity fill connection was important to me in selecting our MH, an Axis 24.1 since we dry camp and can run out of fresh water after 3 days.

David
Old 05-11-2021, 02:09 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I've got both methods of filling the tank available; but I very much prefer using the City Water connection.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:26 AM   #9

THOR #21855
Thank you for replies, sorry, I did not explain my question well enough! We could not find where we would fill from 5 gallon jugs, (gravity fill) rather than just a hose and did not realize this would not be an option in an RV. My husband didn't even think to look at that when purchasing the RV.

We have owned a travel trailer for 25+ years and we almost always dry camp in forest service campgrounds where we haul water from hand pump water stations or do a lot of dispersed camping. Guess this will be a bit problematic so will have to figure out a workaround!
He just didn't know if he was overlooking something so appreciate the help to know that our model likely does not have the gravity fill!
Old 05-12-2021, 11:14 AM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
When you sanitize/winterize does your water pump pull the dilution into the water tank? If so siphon in water instead of antifreeze or sanitizing solution.

You could also rig an external water pump to provide enough pressure to fill from jugs.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:13 AM   #11

THOR #21855
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
When you sanitize/winterize does your water pump pull the dilution into the water tank? If so siphon in water instead of antifreeze or sanitizing solution.

You could also rig an external water pump to provide enough pressure to fill from jugs.
Appreciate your suggestions, my husband will look into this and hope that might work. When we bought it a few months ago, it was already winterized so we are not sure if the water pump pulls it in. We will keep fingers crossed!
Old 05-13-2021, 04:20 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
THOR #13744
We carry one of those blue 5 GL water bottles with us all the time because the state park where we often go for a weekend has electric only and our 30 GHL tank is not enough.

My wife holds a flex funnel while I poor the water. Kind of a PIA but it works.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:46 AM   #13

THOR #21855
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
We carry one of those blue 5 GL water bottles with us all the time because the state park where we often go for a weekend has electric only and our 30 GHL tank is not enough.

My wife holds a flex funnel while I poor the water. Kind of a PIA but it works.
Thank you, yes, that's what we have done for 25 years in our travel trailer. Our problem is we don't have a water fill option for just pouring water in. Seems our model may not have this and we have to use a hose. Makes it quite difficult for the type of travel/camping we do, but will figure something out!
Old 05-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #14

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2travel View Post
Thank you, yes, that's what we have done for 25 years in our travel trailer. Our problem is we don't have a water fill option for just pouring water in. Seems our model may not have this and we have to use a hose. Makes it quite difficult for the type of travel/camping we do, but will figure something out!
It's not a problem. just use a 12 volt water transfer pump and a hose.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #15

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Good point and they also market hand water pumps for the true boondockers
Old 05-13-2021, 01:27 PM   #16

THOR #21855
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Wow, thank you for this suggestion! I just told my husband and he is excited too look into this. May work perfect.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #17

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Consider adding your own gravity water fill port. Here are a page of possibilities: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+fresh+..._ts-doa-p_2_27

How easy to install will depend on your MHs geometry. The fill port has to be located so water can flow downhill to the fresh water tank. Sometimes beds and appliances get in the way.

But if you can easily add one, a gravity fill port may be your best option, or maybe not. I have to lift a 5 gallon water jug up 5' to pour into my gravity fill port. A 12V transfer pump would sure be easier whether I use the gravity fill port or the shore supplied water connector.

David
Old 05-15-2021, 06:04 PM   #18

State: South Carolina
THOR #20369
Take a length of hose and cut it tape a large funnel to one end and use that to pour the water into.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:26 PM   #19

State: British Columbia
THOR #2763
We own a 2016 Citation and I feel your pain. There is no gravity water inlet. Never even occurred to me to ask when we bought it because who the heck would build an RV that didn’t have a gravity fill? Sheesh. That said, we love everything else about the RV so it’s a trade-off.

We camp mostly at places that don’t offer pressurized water so it’s a challenge. The external water pump to a five gallon bucket is likely your best bet. Good luck and enjoy your new rig!
Old 05-15-2021, 06:53 PM   #20

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2travel View Post
We have a new to us 2015 Thor Citation 24ST. Wondering if it is possible to fill the fresh water tank by pouring water from water jugs into it if we don't have access to a spigot?
I looked your unit up in your owners manual. Yes you can fill it using the gravity feed. You also have a Swan valve. It you buy a 120volt or 12 volt pump from Amazon for 59 dollars you could connect a hose to the swan valve or the gravity feed opening and pump the water in any time you want,