Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2021, 11:22 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13710
Safety recall notice 20S73/NHTSA Recall 20V795. 2021 E-350 Econoline

Old 02-23-2021, 02:08 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
The doghouse insulation recall should certainly apply to Cutaway Chassis (hence Class B+ and C motorhomes, and many commercial applications), but I’d be surprised if it applies to vehicles that are built on a stripped chassis since they are shipped without a doghouse. I suppose it’s worth checking for peace of mind if nothing else.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:06 PM   #23

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
Amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris92223 View Post
The tecall reads "on your vehicle, it may be possible that the engine cover insulation does not fully extend to the perimeter of the factory engine cover. Vehicles on Ford chassis may have higher engine compartment temperature at certain idle conditions. " Doghouse, not a likely fix. But it does go on to say "driver and passenger side may be subject to skin irradiation or minor burns". We never experienced that much heat off the Doghouse. We'll see what, if anything is done. My only cost is time.
I'm amazed! Based on the minimal amount of doghouse insulation in my 2019 Vegas, RV manufacturers should have recalled tens of thousands more!
Old 02-23-2021, 07:45 PM   #24

THOR #13710
We haven't noticed a lot of heat from our doghouse but we have the V8 and I guess they are supposed to be a little cooler. I'll know if there is a difference after Ford gets finished. I'd be surprised if there is anything different.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:06 PM   #25

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
FWIW I plugged my VIN into the NHTSA link above and my E350 was flagged as subject to the recall.

I am surprised Ford didn't exclude all stripped chassis VINs (used to build the Axis) from that recall notice as the dog house is not theirs. It will cause me to go to a commercial Ford dealer to clear the recall if for no other reason than resale hassle.

David
Old 02-23-2021, 09:17 PM   #26

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Do we know its the dog house and not an integral part of the chassis, like the exhaust heat deflectors or a wrap cover the rear of the valve covers or the engine/trans bellhousing?

Does anyone have a picture of the small strip of space they need to add insulation to? I'm pretty sure it's just that two pieces have a gap between them. I don't know how or where I acquired this info.

I did a perfunctory perusal of the recall, at best.

What's the reality?

I'm thinking I wouldn't go out of my way to have a 2x11 inch piece of fluff added to my firewall.
If I'm there, cool.
No special stop(unless some fact presents otherwise)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:29 PM   #27

THOR #13710
For me the dealer is 10 miles away and as I said I don't mind the trip. Might get to look at some new Ford's.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:02 PM   #28

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris92223 View Post
For me the dealer is 10 miles away and as I said I don't mind the trip. Might get to look at some new Ford's.
Get us a picture if you can.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:50 AM   #29

THOR #13710
Of the Mustang E or the repair?
Old 03-03-2021, 11:37 PM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post
We have owned our Vegas 24.1 for about 16 months and have experienced no significant problems. I have had to replace both house batteries. My two biggest gripes are the size of the shower and wishing the beds were a few inches longer. The only annoying problem I have not solved is a persistent rattle/creaking in the left front area of the cab where the dash and window meet-still working on that one. Overall, we are happy with our choice and feel we it offers good value. I plan on keeping this RV until either it becomes unuseable or we become too old to use it!

These are the most important changes I have done to date:

--Replaced the sofa with recliners. BIG improvement in comfort.
--Added heat/soundproofing under engine "doghouse" and in cab area. This was a major improvement in noise and heat transfer from engine into cab area.
--Sealed air leaks between intake and supply in Coleman A/C and closed up the "ducts to nowhere".
--Added Bilstein 5100 steering damper to minimize lane wander. Added SSF-106-40 Sumo springs to front to reduce lean while turning as well as sway.
--Added TPMS.
--Replaced LED lights in galley area to individually switched LED lights.
--Added soap dispensers in bathroom and shower.
--Replaced mattresses in bedroom.
--Added ROKU to TV.

By the way, David, I have the V10 and our mpg is very similar-9 to 10 at Interstate speeds. Running the generator reduces it by about .5 mpg.

These are the ones that come to mind. This forum has been invaluable in learning about the Vegas and I greatly appreciate all of the postings by members!
The shower is still an issue for us. It’s small, but our biggest issue is our water switching back and forth between hot and cold. We have followed the suggestions from people to only use hot water and ensure the pressure was 50psi. We have tried using our on board water pump along with the water from the park. I can get the kitchen sink to keep a stable temp, but the shower is still a mystery. I have to admit, it’s a tiny bit fun to hear my husband squeal when it switches to cold water I’m also not a fan of the flimsy shower floor, but at least the shower is ours and we don’t have to worry about someone else’s cooties. Adding soap dispensers in the bathroom is genius! I will be doing that this week!

The beds... Scott’s feet would hit the wall when he was sleeping. We finally ordered a king sized 8” thick mattress topper that would fit in the bedroom, and allow us to sleep crosswise. Now our feet are on the driver side and our heads are on the passenger side. We replaced the tv mount in the bedroom with a full motion one. It works for us.

We also replaced the uncomfortable sofa with power recliners from RecPro. It’s so much more comfortable! We also have ROKUs on both inside TVs.

We had zero insulation in our doghouse, so that is the first thing we did. I also found a way to wrap pool noodles with some insulation and shove them into the curved area on either side of the windshield. I added insulation inside the coach where our feet rest while traveling (under the dash).

We also added a tpms. It saved us on our trip last week. It was cold when we were preparing to leave. An hour or so into our trip we received an alarm that one of our tires had pressure that was too high. We pulled over and remedied the problem.

You can see in my signature the handling mods we have done. I am now thinking we will be adding Sumo Springs. I would also really love to have a leveler system installed.

I completely agree with you about how valuable this forum has been for us! We have gained so much knowledge from the people here! Many thanks to everyone!!

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:55 PM   #31

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabs4 View Post
......... I would also really love to have a leveler system installed.

Pam
Other than the up-front cost of
$3-5,000...levelers on a Vegas/Axis is wonderful
I will never ever own another RV without a hydraulic leveling system
Old 03-04-2021, 12:27 AM   #32

THOR #17456
Sumo Springs

I have only recently added the SSF106-40 Sumo's, but have taken a test drive. There is much less lean in the corners with just a slightly firmer ride. We have a longer trip scheduled for next month.

The shower temp is touchy. We have the hot water set at 115 and temper it with just a little cold, then let it run continuously while using the shower.

I am also replacing the tail lights with Partsam triple LED lights (on order). As others have posted, I found a slight amount of moisture intrusion on the right side. Not serious yet, but I sprayed Flex Seal on both sides. It is drying while I await delivery of the lights.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:12 AM   #33

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Please send pictures, make, how to of the soap dispensers
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #34

THOR #17456
Soap Dispensers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Please send pictures, make, how to of the soap dispensers
I can't figure out how to insert a screen shot, but here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Bosharon-Sham...n%2C175&sr=1-2

They are also available as a double or single dispenser.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #35

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Great thx twovillagers!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote