Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2021, 10:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
First Impressions, New Axis 24.1

I just picked my new Thor Axis 24.1 from Albany RV today. Here are my first impressions. More will come as I get more familiar with it.

The PDI went great. The only glitch was the power driver's seat didn't work and the tech found a loose connection after just a few minutes of searching. Everything else checked out fine.

Handling

I drove about 100 miles home today. I was quite happy with the handling: no dead spot, easy but quick enough steering, little road feedback to wheel on pothole bumps. The return to center was a little weak but I plan to have a front end alignment done and bring the caster to 5+ deg which should add some return force. I think this is the only thing I will have to do. No SUMO springs, sway bar or Safe T Plus or similar spring steering damper.

Size and liveability

I think it will fit our needs well- a small Class A with enough inside room but maneuverable. The only real compromise I have noticed so far is a tiny shower.

New Ford V8 with upgraded chassis

I don't have anything to compare it too, certainly not the old V10 chassis, but I think it was quiet enough. Most of the noise came from the road probably though the wheel wells and not the doghouse. Will have to look into adding insulation inside wheel wells.

Sway was quite tolerable and although I only drove on the interstate for 25 miles or so, the big trucks didn't bother me. On 2 lane roads several 18 wheelers passed coming the other way with no wind gusts pushing me around but those were 50 mph rural roads so higher speeds may be different.

The gearing seems perfect. In high gear (it has a 6 speed) the engine was turning 2,100 rpm at 65 mph. There is no real time mileage indicator, but judging by the fuel used in 100 miles it should do 9-10 mpg at 65 mph.

I climbed quite a few short hills on the rural two lane run but the posted speed was only 50 mph. I took most of them at 40 mph and the transmission shifted down to 4th I think at 2,200 rpm.

Tires

It has extenders for the inside wheel on the rear which lets you easily read and pump up both inside and out. Someone asked whether the new F53 based coaches have a TPMS. This similar E350 chassis does not.

Other quick nits and grits:

The rear and side camera display is a Thor addition and is powered separately by the coach batteries and won't work with the battery switch off. Seems Thor should have powered it from the chassis system. But it worked well except when the side was in the shade.

I measured the resting coach battery current with the battery switch on and off. With it on it drew about 0.5+A which is no doubt the Rapid Camp display and other parasitic loads. With the battery switch off, it drew about 0.1A which is probably the CO monitor and similar that are required to be powered at all times.

Going to investigate this more thoroughly for boondocking and storage purposes, but the chassis alternator definitely charges the coach batteries while the engine was running. I also think that the coach system charges the chassis batteries when there is something charging it like the solar panel or the shore power/generator converter.

It has a Precision Circuits BIM 160 mounted in the front drivers side of the engine compartment that manages the above and is easy to get to.

The coach has one factory installed 100 watt panel feeding a Go Power 10A PWM controller which worked fine. If I add more panels (and there is room for 3 more) I will have to add a bigger controller, probably an MPPT type.

More to come.

David

Old 01-25-2021, 11:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post

The rear and side camera display is a Thor addition and is powered separately by the coach batteries and won't work with the battery switch off. Seems Thor should have powered it from the chassis system. But it worked well except when the side was in the shade.
The cameras are integrated into the dash radio which is also the house radio for entertainment purposes. That's why it's powered by the house batteries
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:23 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Regarding suspension:
Once you get it loaded with full tanks and all your gear, you will begin to feel the sway. Just sayin’

Unless the Motorcraft parts have been upgraded...the stock steering damper is whimpy, and you will find added benefit to change out for a more robust damper or a steering stabilizer. (It’s just abt $$$)

Interior question:
Did you get the DC powered fridge? If so, please comment.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:05 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Congrats on the new ride. Thanks for your observations. We are here to help.

Paul
Old 01-26-2021, 12:22 AM   #5

State: Illinois
THOR #21557
A senior member named 'Judge' wrote the following

Quote:
When I get a coach I wash the roof abd then apply EternaBond tape over ever seam, joint, opening, etc. where Dicor is used:

There is a reason that Thor only warranties leaks for 90 Days. They expect owners to climb on the roof every 90 days to inspect and add Dicor.

Once EternaBond Tape is applied properly, you will never have to add Dicor again (unless you replace a vent, etc.) and you’ll inspect and clean the roof once a year and not worry about roof leaks.
Having had a coach ruined by a leaky roof I am considering doing this. Congrats on your purchase.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:26 AM   #6

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Interior question:
Did you get the DC powered fridge? If so, please comment.
No, no, no!!! I specifically wanted an absorption fridge because we almost never camp at plug in sites. The DC fridge pulls 50-75 amp hours each day which requires lots of solar panels (and no shade) or running the generator to recharge your batteries. And probably an upgrade to lithium batteries.

So it took some doing since the original MH I ordered came with a DC fridge, but the dealer kindly swapped it for a stock MH with the absorption fridge. I got a solar panel with the bargain. Yeah!!!

David
Old 01-26-2021, 05:08 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Good luck .we just got one
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:34 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Thanks for the review. Looking at a 24.1 myself.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:22 AM   #9

THOR #20220
My wife did a kitchen back splash and hung lots of goodies on the wall
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 02-16-2021, 05:52 AM   #10

THOR #12858
Welcome to the adventure. You'll find the Vegas has a fun group of follower that seem to lover tinkering.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:39 AM   #11

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
THOR #17456
Our Vegas 24.1 experience

We have owned our Vegas 24.1 for about 16 months and have experienced no significant problems. I have had to replace both house batteries. My two biggest gripes are the size of the shower and wishing the beds were a few inches longer. The only annoying problem I have not solved is a persistent rattle/creaking in the left front area of the cab where the dash and window meet-still working on that one. Overall, we are happy with our choice and feel we it offers good value. I plan on keeping this RV until either it becomes unuseable or we become too old to use it!

These are the most important changes I have done to date:

--Replaced the sofa with recliners. BIG improvement in comfort.
--Added heat/soundproofing under engine "doghouse" and in cab area. This was a major improvement in noise and heat transfer from engine into cab area.
--Sealed air leaks between intake and supply in Coleman A/C and closed up the "ducts to nowhere".
--Added Bilstein 5100 steering damper to minimize lane wander. Added SSF-106-40 Sumo springs to front to reduce lean while turning as well as sway.
--Added TPMS.
--Replaced LED lights in galley area to individually switched LED lights.
--Added soap dispensers in bathroom and shower.
--Replaced mattresses in bedroom.
--Added ROKU to TV.

By the way, David, I have the V10 and our mpg is very similar-9 to 10 at Interstate speeds. Running the generator reduces it by about .5 mpg.

These are the ones that come to mind. This forum has been invaluable in learning about the Vegas and I greatly appreciate all of the postings by members!
Old 02-20-2021, 02:25 PM   #12

THOR #20220
Any pictures..do they stay on the walls?

Old 02-20-2021, 02:50 PM   #13

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
THOR #17456
Soap Dispensers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Any pictures..do they stay on the walls?

I have not added any pictures.

I used both the self adhesive strips that came with the dispensers and screws.

I have also added a wall weather station next to the recliners. It is held to the wall covering with heavy duty adhesive velcro.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:39 AM   #14

THOR #22284
You run the generator while driving? Never considered that, interesting to allow AC use. What sort of thermal insulation for engine cover?
Old 02-22-2021, 02:02 PM   #15

THOR #5313
We have had our 24.1 Vegas 5 years/35000 miles now. It still performs great.

We tow a double axle open car trailer with a drag car all over. Trailer at 5200 to 5500 lbs. It actually seems to stabile the Vegas on the road.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:44 PM   #16

THOR #13710
We've had our 2020 Vegas 24.1 since July and so far added electric recliners, Dish Network satellite, and a storage step between the beds because DW was having challenges climbing into bed. This week we're adding 190watts of solar and a porch light. We've had a few minor issues that were solved by our dealer so far love the coach. Just got a recall notice from Ford on their 2021 E350 regarding engine cover insulation. Ford will install additional insulation as needed. We didn't notice high temps or noise but if they want to fix it I'll let them. We have a 2020 coach on a 2021 chassis.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:51 PM   #17

THOR #20220
how do we check if any recall?
Old 02-22-2021, 11:00 PM   #18

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris92223 View Post
We've had our 2020 Vegas 24.1 since July and so far added electric recliners, Dish Network satellite, and a storage step between the beds because DW was having challenges climbing into bed. This week we're adding 190watts of solar and a porch light. We've had a few minor issues that were solved by our dealer so far love the coach. Just got a recall notice from Ford on their 2021 E350 regarding engine cover insulation. Ford will install additional insulation as needed. We didn't notice high temps or noise but if they want to fix it I'll let them. We have a 2020 coach on a 2021 chassis.
I am surprised that the dog house insulation is a Ford issue. Thor makes and installs the doghouse.

David
Old 02-22-2021, 11:11 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
how do we check if any recall?
On the chassis? Go here and enter in the VIN:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
Old 02-22-2021, 11:18 PM   #20

THOR #13710
The tecall reads "on your vehicle, it may be possible that the engine cover insulation does not fully extend to the perimeter of the factory engine cover. Vehicles on Ford chassis may have higher engine compartment temperature at certain idle conditions. " Doghouse, not a likely fix. But it does go on to say "driver and passenger side may be subject to skin irradiation or minor burns". We never experienced that much heat off the Doghouse. We'll see what, if anything is done. My only cost is time.