Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2022, 08:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #28451
Gap between the shower pan and shower surround.

Trying to prepare for our virgin voyage in our 2022 vegas 24.4 and discovered many things in our new rig that required repair. In our shower there are big gaps where the surround doest connect to the shower pan. I have been researching the best product to use to fill those gaps however in one RV forum this was posted
“ was reading this forum, and I learned that was a bad idea. You see the space between the shower liner and the wall is subject to moisture issues, and the gap at the bottom of the shower surround is designed to allow air to flow through so it can dry up nice.” So now im totally perplex on how to handle the shower. We dont want mold to develop behind the surround wall

So does anyone has experience in this matter?
Before moving forward i need to know if that was intentional.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:34 PM   #2

Model: ACE 29G
State: Florida
THOR #28393
I would contact Thor Technical Support.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221101-175311_Google.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	40257
Old 12-01-2022, 09:45 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Without a picture it's hard to say if your gap is abnormal. The surround should fit over the lip of the pan. Any gap should be behind the surround, not below it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:53 PM   #4

THOR #28451
I tried to post a photo but wasn’t able to saying it was too big
Old 12-01-2022, 09:59 PM   #5

THOR #28393
Can the photo be resized to work on this site?
Old 12-01-2022, 10:25 PM   #6

THOR #28393
Comments from a previous Thor related thread.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221201-172426_Chrome.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	40258
Old 12-01-2022, 10:26 PM   #7

THOR #28393
Number 2 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221201-172408_Chrome.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	40259
Old 12-01-2022, 10:38 PM   #8

THOR #28393
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27410
Old 12-01-2022, 10:39 PM   #9

THOR #28451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvman12 View Post
Can the photo be resized to work on this site?

I tried however i have not discovered how to add or delete photos from this forum it will only allow me to choose from older photos. I will have to adjust the photo on my computer then try again
Old 12-02-2022, 01:14 AM   #10

THOR #28451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartvines@verizon.net View Post
I tried however i have not discovered how to add or delete photos from this forum it will only allow me to choose from older photos. I will have to adjust the photo on my computer then try again

Thanks for all the feedback
Old 12-02-2022, 02:35 AM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Long story short... Thor puts nearly identical shower stalls in their class C units, including the Axis/Vegas twins.

The pan sits on floor bracing with a flange/lip which extends up the walls on three sides. Then the walls extend down to cover this lip without being attached to each other. It seems janky, but it's done that way for a reason.

It allows the walls to flex slightly. The plastic is NOT as heavy as the higher end one-piece Encore units found in luxury 5th wheels. This also keeps weight and cost down.

The design allows air circulation to dry any moisture that might accumulate, and by nature of the design, prevents water ingress. Moisture simply flows downward into the pan.

Like you, this was one of my first concerns. I contacted Thor and was told the above. If you caulk that joint, (even with Geocell) you defeat the purpose of the design, AND it's very likely that flexing between the walls and pan will eventually cause the caulk to fail... where you can't see it. Then moisture will wick through the broken seal... creating a perfect environment for mold.

My suggestion? Use it as-is... although janky and unconventional... it will perform fine. As an added bonus, we quickly wipe the walls down of excess moisture after showering. Takes two minutes... but you'll rarely need to "clean" your shower. Ours has stayed like new for three seasons.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:40 AM   #12

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I agree with Chateau. Use as is. The bigger issue that you will soon discover is a cracked or broken drain pipe underneath the shower. When in the shower, you’ll notice the pan floor has some give to it. Squishy. I kept finding water in my storage compartment underneath the shower. The rigid black pipe had broken. After several trips to Ace Hardware in Swannanoa NC I now have a flexible rubber sleeve installed that allows for that movement of the floor.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:47 PM   #13

THOR #28451
Thanks for all the feedback we decided to leave it as is
Old 12-02-2022, 08:40 PM   #14

State: Louisiana
THOR #26495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartvines@verizon.net View Post
Trying to prepare for our virgin voyage in our 2022 vegas 24.4 and discovered many things in our new rig that required repair. In our shower there are big gaps where the surround doest connect to the shower pan. I have been researching the best product to use to fill those gaps however in one RV forum this was posted
“ was reading this forum, and I learned that was a bad idea. You see the space between the shower liner and the wall is subject to moisture issues, and the gap at the bottom of the shower surround is designed to allow air to flow through so it can dry up nice.” So now im totally perplex on how to handle the shower. We dont want mold to develop behind the surround wall

So does anyone has experience in this matter?
Before moving forward i need to know if that was intentional.
As others have said here, this is how it has been designed to operate. However I can tell you without a doubt if you are using the shower wand and you spray water at just the right angle it will get past the overlapping edges. Water will spill below the shower pan and you will likely see it seeping under the wall in the hallway outside of the shower. If asked to do so we will caulk the gap with the understanding that it is not designed to be caulked.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:01 AM   #15

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@theShop View Post
As others have said here, this is how it has been designed to operate. However I can tell you without a doubt if you are using the shower wand and you spray water at just the right angle it will get past the overlapping edges. Water will spill below the shower pan and you will likely see it seeping under the wall in the hallway outside of the shower. If asked to do so we will caulk the gap with the understanding that it is not designed to be caulked.
Like you say... it works as designed. However, if you're using the shower for "things it wasn't designed for"... you may have unexpected consequences!