Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2021, 06:37 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Sponsored Caravans

Paying for a caravan trip to Alaska came up on Judges current trip thread

Alaska caravan is $10k. Are they worth paying or doing it on your own better

$10k for the caravan is a lot of money. Is it really worth it?? Yes cg are paid for and I figure that's about $3k+- A few dinners and tours $1k max. So what's the other $6k get you?

I always thought I'd do alaska on my own, at my own pace. I get the security of a caravan, which is important, and the group togetherness, but not being on a set schedule is appealing

Thoughts on this, pros/cons

Jerry

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:57 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
We live in Whitehorse, Yukon - about halfway on these caravans. And we drive "out" every year - on our own.
A couple of things to consider:
1) There are long stretches of the highway - mainly in Canada - with no cell service. We don't worry too much about that. If we break down, there's lots of traffic. And there's a "law of the north" to always stop and see if people need help. I doubt we would have to wait very long before some one stops to help. (And that may be calling for help for you at the next town.)
2) Campgrounds can be expensive. But they don't have to be expensive. If you don't mind boondocking, the price would be around $10.00 to $20.00 per night. And the views will be much better. But if you like serviced parks, you'll pay $40.00 to $60.00 per night. We usually boondock one night and then service park the next.
3) The tours can be pricey. I looked at one of the caravans and really liked some of the tours they had arranged. Some of them are relatively inexpensive - maybe $10 to $20 per person. But others not. The Whitepass and Yukon railway trip from Skagway can cost $250 per person - but worth it. Denali park tours could cost over $100 per person. So don't underestimate the cost.
4) The caravan I looked at was very comprehensive. The well known, Alaska Highway stops are all included. You will miss some of the lesser known stops and some of our favorite spots. But you will not miss anything that most people talk about.
I know this doesn't really answer your question. Another option - look for a caravan that provides lots of "free" time to explore. And short (short on the Alaska highway is 200 to 300 miles) travel days. That way, you can leave early, explore along the way, and arrive later in the day.
Of course, you can make the trip twice - once with a caravan learning what else you want to see. Then in a couple of years, do it again, on your own taking in all the things you missed the first time. It's probably about 6,000 miles using Calgary as the starting and end point.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
You need to download a catalog or the itinerary from the tour company and see what all is included. Campgrounds, meals, tours, transportation to events or tours, entertainment etc…

Many of the longer tours have a free day or two for personal exploring.

We have tried to replicate some itineraries to travel on our own and when looking into reservations and costs it can get expensive.

We have not done one yet but we did attend a couple seminars by the 2 major firms and are considering trying one of the shorter ones to determine the worth to us.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:56 PM   #4

Model: Compass 23TW
State: Texas
THOR #22166
My wife and I have driven from Texas to Alaska three times. The first time with a caravan and twice on our own. It is a great adventure. You meet the best people from US, Canada and all over the world. We were on the road 45 plus days each time. The best place to start is getting a copy of Milepost and decide what you would like to see. Caravans are alright, just try to join a small.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:31 AM   #5

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
In 2016 we went from Alabama to Alaska and back. 4 months, 12,900 miles. We did the Fantasy "your way" that I referenced in the other thread. Cost in 16 was 6200. It did get more expensive. When you go to Alaska there are really only 3 ways to get there and when you are in AK there are only so many roads between places. We saw the same non caravan RVs several times. At that time you would see RVs pulled off into wider spots or pull offs all set to camp. Jacks down, slides out, etc. A fancy RV park in that area is equivalent to a basic one in the lower 48. The camping season is short so amenities are often in short supply. Many are just parking lots with hookups. Doesn't mean they are cheaper though.

See enjoyed the way we did it. Getting to AK was as much an adventure as being there. We took 1 month wandering west to Anacortes WA to start and a month from Prince William BC the last stop of the tour to get home. We met some people we still see regularly and most we'll never see again. We like to wander off on our own and wouldn't fit in well with one of the bus/herd tours. Some people though like for someone else to plan everything.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote