Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2021, 12:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #12479
Gemini MH Warranty

Ford Transit chassis. Got some bad news from Ford dealership. Took my 2018 MH in for regular maintenance (oil change, etc.) and to analyze the Check Engine Light. Picked up unit and learned that Check Engine Light trigger could not be determined ($140 charge for the non-analysis). Service manager informed me that they had to contact Ford and was told just that it could be one of several things and just to reset the computer. So... no fix on that.

Total bill was $440. And that's not even the bad news. When I asked why the $140 was not covered under warranty, I was told that my warranty had expired because it was initiated in September 2017 (a full year and a half BEFORE I purchased the MH! Now that the check engine light is acting up, I may be looking at some needed repairs. The unit has the same exhaust system that is on our Ford Diesel truck and we have already paid $5,000 in repairs on that, so you can understand my concerns.

Apparently the warranty was activated when Thor purchased the chassis--not when I purchased the MH from the dealer.

I am crazy to think this is wrong???

I called the dealership where I purchased the MH and he said he had never heard any such before. He told me that I would have to work that out between Ford and Thor. When I asked him if he was going to take care of his customer, he said he would let me know if he found out anything?????

Ideas, PLEASE!

Old 07-09-2021, 01:40 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The dealership has to submit a delayed warranty start form to Ford. The dealer must do and neither you nor Thor can submit it. Tell the dealer to do their job.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:34 AM   #3

THOR #12479
Thank you!! I will call the dealer tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:40 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.1
State: Mississippi
THOR #15327
One quick question, how did you even find a Ford dealer to do maintenance. Your rig being on the Transit chassis may be different but I have been unable to find a dealer that would handle anything on the Econoline chassis.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:08 PM   #5

THOR #12479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinasrig View Post
One quick question, how did you even find a Ford dealer to do maintenance. Your rig being on the Transit chassis may be different but I have been unable to find a dealer that would handle anything on the Econoline chassis.
I was told that only Ford could do the maintenance to preserve the warranty. I take it to the same dealer that does the maintenance on my F250 Super Duty diesel truck. They never blinked.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:04 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucita white View Post
I was told that only Ford could do the maintenance to preserve the warranty. I take it to the same dealer that does the maintenance on my F250 Super Duty diesel truck. They never blinked.

There are Ford dealers who will work on the bigger chassis’s as well. However, it is absolutely NOT required that maintenance be done by Ford. As long as you keep copies of the invoices you’ll be fine. You even can do the work yourself, again as long as you keep receipts for parts like oil and such.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:20 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
There are Ford dealers who will work on the bigger chassis’s as well. However, it is absolutely NOT required that maintenance be done by Ford. As long as you keep copies of the invoices you’ll be fine. You even can do the work yourself, again as long as you keep receipts for parts like oil and such.
This! I owned a Ford dealership. Maintenence records and receipts are all that's required. And even then, I've see a lot of stuff covered under warranty with no records.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Warranty work must be verified and approved by Ford.