Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Gots to be Tough

I joined this forum to learn of our new RV and RV "things" in general.

It seems that there is an everyday constant barrage of trouble, breaks, failures and wear outs concerning RV's written about on this forum.

So far, I am not discouraged...mainly because I am tough and rugged!!! and so is my awesome wife.

I pity the new comer that thought RV ownership would be easy.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:33 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Right on. Glad you are digging into it. We buy the kit and finish it over the years.. Still have a punch list on mine after every trip.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:50 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Well there's an old saying in the business community...

A happy customer will tell 2 other people about their good experience.

An unhappy customer will tell 50 other people!
Old 10-01-2021, 10:56 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
It is tough. Although I am not happy about the lack of initial quality that was present in my coach when new, I have been using the crap out of it for the last 4 summers. Sure, I have to make the odd minor repair from time to time, more of them than my previous SOB, but nothing that has kept us from using it.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:42 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
We use ours as much as possible and yes there is always something that needs to be fixed. You have to remember that it is a house on wheels and some pretty tough roads that are not smooth.

Paul
Old 10-01-2021, 11:59 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Welcome.

Is not really worse than owning a house on a compact scale. Stay ahead of things and surprises are minimized. We have had ours over 5 years and 40k miles. I should have done much sooner.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:32 AM   #7

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Owning an RV is not for the feint of heart. You gotta be tough and flexible.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:06 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Excuse me while I go reseal some joints, check my roof, air my tires, add water to my batteries, fire up the coach, add fuel stabilizer to the gas, crank out the awning to dry it out, lube my schwintec slide mechanisms, whatever else I run into. This is just a one day routine Maintainence list.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:01 PM   #9

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
I have drifted into the idea of itbeing a kit! That is a good mindset.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:08 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Resealed roof twice in 5+ years. Tire pressure every few weeks depending on use. All other stuff 90/120/180\365. Not big issue, just a little extra time.

Kit is excellent description. Mine was the easy finish one. Unit has required very little beyond maint/monitoring.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:50 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
RVing: it's sure not for sissies.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:11 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
I joined this forum to learn of our new RV and RV "things" in general.

It seems that there is an everyday constant barrage of trouble, breaks, failures and wear outs concerning RV's written about on this forum.

So far, I am not discouraged...mainly because I am tough and rugged!!! and so is my awesome wife.

My first class A motor coach (Beau #388 was 32 years old and hadn't been driven for 18 year when I bought it for $3,500 in 1998. We put 188,000 miles on it in 16 years. Only once did it not make it home under power. The coach decided develop a connecting rod knock 12 miles from home and we finished that trip in 2008 on a rollback. The current Hurricane has never been in a dealer's shop for any reason. I have had two wrecks (side swipes) where the Hurricane was in independent shops for three weeks (2016) and four weeks (2017). Thor MC was timely in supplying the required replacement parts and insurance covered all the repairs. The cost for insurance has never risen since the original quote. Count me as a happy Hurricane owner.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:08 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Excuse me while I go reseal some joints, check my roof, air my tires, add water to my batteries, fire up the coach, add fuel stabilizer to the gas, crank out the awning to dry it out, lube my schwintec slide mechanisms, whatever else I run into. This is just a one day routine Maintainence list.

Is this the “recreational” part of RV?

It seems clear to me that some owners actually enjoy working on their motorhome as if it was a hobby. If that is what makes them happy, more power to them. In my opinion, however, toughness has nothing to do with it.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Is this the “recreational” part of RV?

It seems clear to me that some owners actually enjoy working on their motorhome as if it was a hobby. If that is what makes them happy, more power to them. In my opinion, however, toughness has nothing to do with it.
I look at it as a challenge. Will I get the best of it? Or will it get the best of me? Also have plenty of bandaids cuz if I don’t draw blood, it probably wasn’t done right. But yes, I enjoy working on this creature.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:45 PM   #15

State: Utah
THOR #24860
Lots of complainers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post

Well, I must be in the minority, since I've had my 2015 Thor Majestic 28A for 2.5 years, lived in it from May to Sept 2020 during a Covid-time project, and again this year from June to Sept 2021, and I've had nothing to complain about. I bought it refurbished from Cruise America and it's been solid and dependable - love it!

Sure I had some minor issues, but nothing major or terribly expensive. I had to get a furnace sensor replaced and a new thermostat and a mobile RV service fixed it in a couple of hours for $300. And I installed a new roof vent myself which was quite simple.

Any type of vehicle requires maintenance, and there are plenty of YouTube videos for the do-it-yourselfer.

Have fun, will travel! :-)
Old 10-06-2021, 08:06 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I agree with all you. We enjoy the hell out of travel. Stay ahead of fixes. Tighten screws. Traveled all summer.
Getting ready for a 5 month trip. Montana to Tennessee, NC, SC, then to corpus Christi..then Nm..then Arizona..then Utah towards Montana.. so far entire trip lodging under $500 for 5 months using boondocking and discounted state parks..our first time trying this. Will be fun.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:26 PM   #17

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Most people seek out forums to resolve problems and issues. You never see the overwhelming majority of satisfied owners in any of them. We've had a few but nothing outweighs the freedom of taking your bedroom, bathroom and kitchen on the road.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:50 PM   #18

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Most people seek out forums to resolve problems and issues. You never see the overwhelming majority of satisfied owners in any of them. We've had a few but nothing outweighs the freedom of taking your bedroom, bathroom and kitchen on the road.
Lora and I agree!
And wine
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 10-06-2021, 11:58 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hey Scubawise when you head into Utah, go north through the Bear Lake area in the National Forest to Montana(Yellowstone). It is a great way to see some beautiful country. You go through a piece of Idaho at Bear Lake. It is a state route that you follow.

Paul
Old 10-07-2021, 01:42 AM   #20

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Hey Scubawise when you head into Utah, go north through the Bear Lake area in the National Forest to Montana(Yellowstone). It is a great way to see some beautiful country. You go through a piece of Idaho at Bear Lake. It is a state route that you follow.

Paul
Will schedule thx