Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2023, 12:30 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Gps

I’ve been using RV Life Trip Wizard for a couple of years, and have been somewhat satisfied with the results, but not lately. I use it for a safe RV route, and once I have a route set up, I select allow route changes before beginning my trip. I have been traveling for three days, with three different stops. Twice I missed a turn along the way and I was instructed to make a u-turn. Neither was safe to do, and in both cases further down the road were shopping plazas that were easy to navigate.

Today I was told to go down a road that ended up being a dead end. I had to disconnect my tow dolly, turn the RV around, then reattach tow dolly and car. Loosing close to an hour of time.

Is there something more reliable to use as a GPS for an RV safe route, or are they all somewhat the same?

Old 02-23-2023, 01:58 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Use the search feature. There are many, many posts and threads related to RV GPS systems.
Old 02-23-2023, 03:15 AM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Any GPS can do that sometimes. My wonderful Garmin RV890 did it to me once. Best is to check your route with a second source and my preference is a good old fashioned paper map. Not turn by turn as you drive but a comparison prior to departure.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:44 AM   #4

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
I’ve been using RV Life Trip Wizard for a couple of years, and have been somewhat satisfied with the results, but not lately. I use it for a safe RV route, and once I have a route set up, I select allow route changes before beginning my trip. I have been traveling for three days, with three different stops. Twice I missed a turn along the way and I was instructed to make a u-turn. Neither was safe to do, and in both cases further down the road were shopping plazas that were easy to navigate.

Today I was told to go down a road that ended up being a dead end. I had to disconnect my tow dolly, turn the RV around, then reattach tow dolly and car. Loosing close to an hour of time.

Is there something more reliable to use as a GPS for an RV safe route, or are they all somewhat the same?
Assuming you have an internet connection, I recommend checking your stops before starting travel each day with Google Maps. Take a close look at the stops with Google in satellite mode to make sure you can safely navigate. Also pick the exit you would like to make rather than rely on an address. Place your mouse pointer over a good spot in the road and right click. That will give you the GPS coordinates of that spot in the road. Then go to the search bar on your GPS and enter those coordinates. The GPS will find the location and you can save it in your favorites. You can also name it, i.e., My Campground, Fuel Stop 1, or what ever. Riling on an address will often put you in a bad situation because they are sometimes in the middle of a building or just flat out wrong. You can look at a Walmart parking lot using Google Maps and decide where you want to enter and park based on the size of your rig.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 12:28 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #25694
i use google maps and alwaye check the route that seems to work for me..if it doesnt seem correct dont turn there if you dont think you can get out.
Good luck HAPPY TRAILS
Old 02-23-2023, 01:44 PM   #6

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I have used them all over the years and they all have issues on certain routes or roads. Garmin in my experience has fewer issues if you keep the maps updated. I still use RM on the big screen and various phone apps for verification.

Many of the GPS tend to have issues when rerouting.

As noted, dual verification and Google Earth is a great tool.

One caution on Google Earth is the image date. They are several years behind on some areas so roads may be gone or new routes available. check the image date if you want to be certain of access.

Many times, on dual verification I have found better routes as compared to the suggested. I do like software that gives you multiple options based on programmed preferences.

Lots of experience on the forum with various Branded units.

I am really old school, have maps and atlas in the Tuscany and updated when possible. They are always used for an overview if planning a trip on routes we haven't traveled. Using the maps and then Google Earth is a great way to really understand the area you're planning on visiting or traveling through.
Old 02-23-2023, 03:26 PM   #7

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
One tool I enjoy using is called onX. It is a mapping app/program that does require a purchase once you use the free trial period.

It is tuned toward the off road and or hunting crowd but shows newer maps than are generally available through Google. I have found the mapping to be at least 7 months newer than Google in my area. It is in our Map arsenal.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:05 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I have the RV770 and mostly use it to keep up with where I'm at amd avoid low overpasses, etc...not to route me there. Too many times it's suggested taking an exit, only to send me back up the ramp on the other side. I use Google Maps and the old Atlas for route planning. I've told many people...you must know your route before you ever turn on any GPS. They are great for finding specific places or businesses but don't depend on them to get you there by the best route.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 05:24 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I use the Garmin RV1090 plus I always check my paper maps for my routes. Garmin routes me in a safer direction so as to avoid low clearances and toll roads if possible.

Paul
Old 02-24-2023, 03:08 AM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I have the RV770 and mostly use it to keep up with where I'm at amd avoid low overpasses, etc...not to route me there. Too many times it's suggested taking an exit, only to send me back up the ramp on the other side. I use Google Maps and the old Atlas for route planning...
My first GPS wasn't a RV unit and it led me off and back on a busy 8 lane freeway in Chicago. I almost threw it out the window!
Old 02-24-2023, 03:18 AM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
My first GPS wasn't a RV unit and it led me off and back on a busy 8 lane freeway in Chicago. I almost threw it out the window!

Reminds me of a GPS guided trip I took through the Chicago area a few years ago. Was on a perfectly good interstate highway and the GPS took me off of it and on to a parallel crowded, slow service road. After a few miles of it I said phooey and hopped back on the main road. Never understood what that was about.
Old 02-24-2023, 03:39 AM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Garmin RV 760 LMT

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...n-31791-2.html
Old 02-24-2023, 11:38 AM   #13

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Reminds me of a GPS guided trip I took through the Chicago area a few years ago. Was on a perfectly good interstate highway and the GPS took me off of it and on to a parallel crowded, slow service road. After a few miles of it I said phooey and hopped back on the main road. Never understood what that was about.
One has to always question the GPS, even in real time. I have been driving along an interstate at highway speed on a GPS route and the darn thing will say take the next exit. When I look at the highlighted route on the screen it will show me going off at the exit and right back on the interstate. For that reason I always question what the GPS is telling me to do and look closely at the route. Quite frequently the GPS will take you off a major road and route you on a road with heavy traffic and stop lights because it is shorter than staying on the high speed major road. The algorithms that do the routing are sometimes very dumb.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 01:59 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
One has to always question the GPS, even in real time. I have been driving along an interstate at highway speed on a GPS route and the darn thing will say take the next exit. When I look at the highlighted route on the screen it will show me going off at the exit and right back on the interstate. For that reason I always question what the GPS is telling me to do and look closely at the route. Quite frequently the GPS will take you off a major road and route you on a road with heavy traffic and stop lights because it is shorter than staying on the high speed major road. The algorithms that do the routing are sometimes very dumb.
My previous Rand McNally units were notorious for that because the exit was actually the shorter route. One was a AAA sponsored product and they got real defensive when I called and asked if they were trying to get folks killed in Northern Virginia during rush hour.

My Garmin has not employed that tactic yet and I’m on year five with it.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:42 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
I've been saying that for years, especially in my Garmin RV GPS. The Garmin car GPSs don't seem as bad. But in the end, the GPS is just one navigation aid, not to be relied on exclusively.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 04:46 PM   #16
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I have the RV770 and mostly use it to keep up with where I'm at amd avoid low overpasses, etc...not to route me there. Too many times it's suggested taking an exit, only to send me back up the ramp on the other side. I use Google Maps and the old Atlas for route planning. I've told many people...you must know your route before you ever turn on any GPS. They are great for finding specific places or businesses but don't depend on them to get you there by the best route.
I have purchased for low clearance Rout-1 USA at Low Clearance POI - GPS Data
I edit the spreadsheet to eliminate everything taller than my rig. Clearance data is imported as points if interest. The warnings do come up and I am happy I have this tool.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:56 PM   #17

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
As they say in the marine world..."never rely on one, single source for navigation". Also, check the settings on your GPS...the default setting is "shortest route". Change that to "fastest" and you will eliminate a lot turns and backroads.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 10:37 PM   #18

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Thanks for all your replies. The GPS mapping works fine as long as you stick to the route. Problem is when I am unable to make a turn, due to being in the wrong lane or road construction. Then I keep getting the “make a U turn directions, which is impossible to do.
Old 04-09-2023, 11:44 PM   #19

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Is the fault with the GPS or with the map source? In other words, is the GPS relying on google maps? I just finished a 5000-mile trip using Google maps for navigation. From that trip I have a whole list of things that google did wrong. The problems you report sound like some of the problems I encountered. While Google maps might be fine for urban navigation it simply SUCKS for interstate travel. Here is a list of my problems.

1. When you set up a route with a stop, like a gas station stop, after the stop Google keeps trying to bring you back to that stop unless you delete that stop once you have made the stop.

2. In some cases, google will try to take you on an unneccessary detour to avoid construction where the detour is worse than the construction. In one case that detour was on a dirt road. This occurred about 30 miles from my house, I ignored that one however, a few days later my son was using google maps to go somewhere along the same route in his Malibu, he took the detour and the Malibu ended up stuck buried in the mud. The tow truck driver was amazed he got as far as he did. Also, told my son that he was earning a good living off people who relied too much on google maps and took that detour.

3. Not enough warning ahead of a road change. This is especially important when you have to be in a specific lane to make an exit.

4. Google maps often calculates the shortest route without regard to the reality that the "short" route does not save fuel or time unless you plan to run stop signs and red ligts.

5. when announcing road changes, google maps does not consistantly use the same order for naming the road. IMHO if you have an Interstate, a Us Highway, and a state highway all using the same pavement the order announced should list the road designation in order of importance starting with the Interstate, then Us Highway, then state highway, then county highway. I missed several turns because maps software told me to take a US highway instead of the Interstate highway running concurrent with the state highway. BTW prereview will not catch this last situation, unless you have a navigator using a paper map verifying each turn in real-time. Prereview only works well if you are a bit familiar with the route to begin with. For totally unfamiliar route you are unlikely to spot a problem until after you make a wrong turn.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 12:42 AM   #20

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Sygic truck as primary
Google maps as secondary
Your choice of tertiary.

One is none
Two is none
Three is one.

Stop using the one that is screwing the op.
It was given to me free and I still won't use it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote