Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2021, 11:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Had to replace the windshield in my 27.2

I already had a few chips that had been repaired. One wasn't repaired well enough and sent a crack from the top of the windshield to the bottom about center ways of the windshield.
I thought, I can live with that.

Several weeks ago I was navigating out of my community. I always have to play dodge the low hanging limbs for about 20 miles to get to open highway.

One limb left over from the ice storm this year had slipped down and was camouflaged from the canopy over it and I didn't see it soon enough.

It was hanging down over the highway about where the driver sits. I couldn't go to the right. That would put me in the ditch. The only option I had was to move into the oncoming lane. I almost made it with the limb hitting the windshield about 4" on the outside passenger side.

What a bummer. Insurance is $500 deductible.
I had the insurance company find a repair shop. They had to order the windshield. It took several weeks for it to come in.
First installation of the windshield, it leaked. They had to completely remove the windshield again to get it to seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC6A3647-A867-4C50-A7B8-79460BD8D875.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	33577  

Old 10-07-2021, 02:16 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
It leaked because aftermarket windshields are not as thick as the Oem and the rubber gasket don’t fit as tight, I had to have mine replaced after someone did a doughnut in the stone parking lot and cracked mine down the middle, I told the insurance company (State Farm) that I would only accept the Oem windshield and of course they argued and after proving my reasons and telling them future leaks will cost them more in interior damage they agreeded and called Thor for a replacement 5k for windshield thankfully my deductible was only 500
Old 10-13-2021, 02:04 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
It leaked because aftermarket windshields are not as thick as the Oem and the rubber gasket don’t fit as tight, I had to have mine replaced after someone did a doughnut in the stone parking lot and cracked mine down the middle, I told the insurance company (State Farm) that I would only accept the Oem windshield and of course they argued and after proving my reasons and telling them future leaks will cost them more in interior damage they agreeded and called Thor for a replacement 5k for windshield thankfully my deductible was only 500
My replacement was OEM. I had to take pictures of the information embedded in the windshield so Safelite could contact the factory it was made at. The factory had to build another windshield.

It leaked because they did a poor install. They had to completely remove it and start from scratch. All is good now.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:18 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Wow I’m glad then that safelight told me they couldn’t replace a one piece windshield in a class a, I ended with a company called all service glass and they did an exceptional job, has never leaked and even gave me a new can of windshield cleaner, also maybe it’s because I have worked with them guys before on semi windshield replacement which is how I know aftermarket ones are a fraction thinner than oem