Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 02:42 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
You need to get an attorney and he/she will tell you how to proceed from here.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:27 PM   #42

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: California
THOR #27561
I don't think that Thor is going to take it back without a fight. So hire a lawyer which of course is expensive.

I don't know your electrical system but off the top of my head I don't know why there would be large fluctuations in the AC voltage on shore power even if the inverter is bad. I don't think that the inverter should be operating while on shore power. The converter (to DC) would operate but if it was drawing so much to affect the AC line voltage you would think that the supply fuse would blow.

It sounded as if you had your flooring replaced. If Thor did indeed replace the flooring by lifting up the entire house frame, I can almost guarantee that they did not recheck the electrical system after installing the new floor. Totally different department.

The key to Thor finding the problem is to assign someone knowledgeable and give them sufficient resources (time and budget) to solve the problem. I don't think that this is going to happen in this environment although sales are down quite a lot.

If you or your technicians can't solve the problem then filing suit against Thor is your only option. It doesn't sound as if you can live with it the way it is.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:17 AM   #43

State: Washington
THOR #28631
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
You have a lemon but unfortunately most lemon laws in states do not cover any of the house stuff, only chassis.

My suggestion is quit talking to thor and hire a great consumer lawyer.
Thank you chunker21. You are correct. Most state lemon laws are different, and often when it comes to RV's, the house portion of the coach isn't covered, unless it concerns the safety of the driver in some way. As you might imagine, Indiana has no lemon law whatsoever for RV's.

Fortunately, for cases like this, there is a federal law for consumer protection under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. About my only leverage is that my attorney fees (if deemed reasonable) will need to be paid by Thor, should I prevail. I cannot imagine that I won't prevail... but is it a check or a full repurchase? Magnuson-Moss isn't like a lemon law regarding replacement or repurchase. It usually lands on diminution of value. What is my coach worth if it can't be fixed, can't be used, can't be rented, and can't be sold, all based on the electrical system malfunctioning?

I'd like to believe the only way to fairly determine that would be for Thor to repurchase it from me, then they can resell it themselves to know the exact amount. It is probably guesswork to assume any number at all if you can't find a buyer. (Knowing what you know, would any of you even make me an offer? Doubtful anyone would.)

Thor is clearly playing a game that is solely about the money for them. Whether it is officially legal or not in our correspondence, they clearly agreed to a repurchase if they were unable to resolve the problem within a timeframe. At a bare minimum, repurchase at this stage was implied. IMHO, what Thor is doing to me to try to save themselves some money is truly disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
You need to get an attorney and he/she will tell you how to proceed from here.
Most of the lawyers I've been in contact with are now referring me to litigation lawyers that are licensed in Indiana, who specialize in Breach of Warranty claims (based on the standard text in Thor's warranty). Most lawyers are more than happy to take my case, but typically it is a demand letter where you settle on a dollar amount. Since I don't know what the time or expense will be for resolving the problem, taking a small 5 figure settlement is not very appealing. Nearly nothing other than a repurchase will seem reasonable if I still have no clue how to make it usable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreCambrian View Post
I don't think that Thor is going to take it back without a fight. So hire a lawyer which of course is expensive.

I don't know your electrical system but off the top of my head...

The key to Thor finding the problem is to assign someone knowledgeable and give them sufficient resources (time and budget) to solve the problem. I don't think that this is going to happen in this environment although sales are down quite a lot.

If you or your technicians can't solve the problem then filing suit against Thor is your only option. It doesn't sound as if you can live with it the way it is.
PreCambrian, you sound far more knowledgable than many in regards to this. Certainly more than anything Thor has ever contributed. My coach is currently just a few miles from my storage unit, and I really like the technicians there. Here's the rub: they seem further along than anyone in diagnosing the actual problem, but while they could clearly show that the electrical system is still faulty as delivered from the Thor factory, yet another set of house batteries has completely failed. They are recommending that I replace the house batteries (this would be the third set of replacements) so that they can further test to try to identify the problem.

Unfortunately, as goes the system, I had to tell them that they can only act as a technician/inspector. While I want to find the problem, these are independent inspectors, and not a Thor Authorized Service Center. If they start on any work, I can already hear Thor (and lawyers) telling me, "that's what ruined things. Not us. You are on your own now for voiding any warranty." So I don't know the details of the report, but this one will show that there is an electrical problem, but it can't be diagnosed without replacing yet another set of batteries.

My coach eats batteries like popcorn, apparently.

I appreciate all of the input. Even though the system is set up to simply pass your problems on to the next unsuspecting buyer, I'm trying to take a stand against Thor to prevent that. It is miserable, though, and I'm hoping to secure a litigation lawyer in the correct jurisdiction soon. I'd love to simply take this to trial and let the chips fall as they may.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:15 AM   #44

THOR #4243
I wish you the best of luck and hope you prevail in your case against Thor. What they are doing is disgusting, which is putting it politely.
Thor screwed me and pretty much all of the Super C owners over with our front caps coming loose and not taking care of the structural issue.

Someday Thor is going to tangle with the wrong person.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:54 AM   #45

THOR #28631
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
I wish you the best of luck and hope you prevail in your case against Thor. What they are doing is disgusting, which is putting it politely.
Thor screwed me and pretty much all of the Super C owners over with our front caps coming loose and not taking care of the structural issue.

Someday Thor is going to tangle with the wrong person.
kwplot, so sorry you had to go through all of that. It is disgusting indeed. (I'm still a ways away from telling all and naming names for everything that Thor stated to me that was patently false.) Deceit and disrespect does not sit well with me. I may be right in the sweet spot of socioeconomic circumstances to be "that" person that will tangle with Thor.

Thank you for being a sounding board. I appreciate all of your comments.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:58 PM   #46

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovis View Post
kwplot, so sorry you had to go through all of that. It is disgusting indeed. (I'm still a ways away from telling all and naming names for everything that Thor stated to me that was patently false.) Deceit and disrespect does not sit well with me. I may be right in the sweet spot of socioeconomic circumstances to be "that" person that will tangle with Thor.

Thank you for being a sounding board. I appreciate all of your comments.
Whether the "names" of the reps at thor are real or screen names is questionable. They could easily be different people responding to correspondence using the common name and occasional bringing in another to appear to be concerned. Following their script to delay the problem. Am I skeptical, yep and don't trust anyone from TMC corporate any further than they could be thrown. Often advice you hear is when you say lawyer, suit, court etc. they clam up. True to a point as that is the threats against you from pursuing the issue. But also the squeaky wheel does get attention and grease so the more vocal in many places the more of a thorn you become and eventually they will want to end it. Bad publicity hurts sales.

Only a small fraction of buyers ever see any forums or social media sources relating to owner issues and thor knows it. Plenty of fish/suckers coming along impressed with the bling, colors, space, etc. No knowledge of structure and issues.

For you as I and others said, get an attorney, get vocal in as many places as possible. Most attorneys are also lazy looking for the quick buck, easy way, so finding one who is effective will be critical. No advice on that but someone here might. Stay persistent and above all document everything. I would say that one who advocates a contingency basis knowing they get nothing if they are not aggressive and win. But lazy is easier.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-25-2023, 02:11 PM   #47
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
Wow, not the responses I had expected, usually brings out the thor haters.
LTK showed up...
Old 01-25-2023, 02:42 PM   #48

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
LTK showed up...
There are plenty of"haters" as they were labeled but let's just call them informed past owners who are not afraid to voice their opinions. Thor ringers or reps who come on here to cheer thor do no one any good except Thor's self serving lies. I think, just my opinion understand, that thor is a bottom feeding scum sucking company preying on the unsuspecting. Plenty of corporate America is that way though. That I let my judgement lapse in getting the omni distresses me to no end and when I'm distressed I tend to let people know sometimes. If someone wants to know why I'm so pissed and what has caused me to take my position, I just refer them to my past complaints and comments. If someone is too lazy to look them up then they deserve to have that intimate relationship with thor.

The OP has detailed the scummy underbelly of thor and we, not counting the cheering squad obviously, wish them success in their fight with the devil.

Meanwhile, pretty good coffee this morning.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-16-2023, 01:14 AM   #49

THOR #28631
Update from the OP

Thanks to everyone who has been interested in my original question (regardless of which side of the fence you may reside). Today, I felt I should give a brief update for those interested. When I bought this coach, I didn't plan to become an electrician or a lawyer, but with Thor's (lack of) help, I'm becoming quite versed in both.

I previously mentioned that I had dropped off my coach to a second independent technician (the first showed the electrical system was compromised, but why not get a second opinion as well?). They weren't able to wash the coach for quite a while due to their schedule and near freezing conditions, so they were simply looking at and monitoring my coach during that time, specifically interested in analyzing the electronics.

I'll try to be brief. These are just some of the highlights that they found:
1. "The batteries were replaced twice in the first year and are currently testing bad five months later after replacement. The batteries currently are showing swelling like they have been boiled."
2. "The touchpad flutters, locks up lines in the display, and gives error codes. It has been compromised."
3. "The slide-outs are not working from the Firefly touchpad."
4. "Backup Camera: It is not working."
5. "The entry step is currently not working and has already been repaired at the dealership."

Part of the summary stated, "The long-term effects of the compromised power supply have more than likely damaged all of this RV's electrical components. The electrical problems in this RV leave the RV inoperable and undrivable."

A skeptic might presume that this explains precisely why Thor never told their independent inspector why the coach was there in the first place. A skeptic might also presume that this is why Thor ignored both me and the inspector when the inspector wanted back in to look at it (once he knew why it was there), and instead shipped it back to me. The two independent inspectors I found had no problem identifying a significant problem with the entire electrical system, so a skeptic might find it hard to believe that Thor didn't find anything other than a "software update" in the four months they had it.

Thor's story is that everything was resolved with a simple "software update" from Firefly to the keypad. Even Firefly told me this wouldn't explain things, so either Thor failed to contact Firefly in those four months trying to find a resolution, or they chose to ignore what Firefly said. I suppose there is an outside chance that someone at Firefly would have said that a software update would do the trick, but I haven't found anyone with any reasonable understanding of the nature of these problems that has concluded that to be logical.

So it begs the obvious question: Was Thor unable to correct the ongoing problem with the electrical system... or were they unwilling to do so? Whether they are unable or unwilling, the result should be the same for a newly purchased unit under warranty: Repurchase.

Their response is to simply keep telling me that the inspector signed off on it (the one who asked to see it again to be able to sign off on the electrical system that he was not told to inspect), as if that is somehow proof that they resolved the problem. Simultaneously, the extended warranty that they agreed to provide, has still never been provided. Without it, I'd be 100% out of pocket, trying to resolve something that Thor and 5 other service centers around the country were unable to resolve.

I just want to state again how happy I am for those of you that have been treated well by Thor. For me, I wouldn't wish my experience on anybody, which is why I will NOT simply pawn this problem off for an unsuspecting buyer to deal with. That would make me part of the problem.

I'm going to try to do what I can to be part of the solution... or die trying. I suspect my lawyer will be able to help encourage Thor to uphold their end of the agreement they made with me back in August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreCambrian View Post

PreCambrian, it is unusable the way that it is. One technician noted that, "all the electrical components are compromised and is reversing the polarity to the whole electrical system, causing multiple electrical issues and failures." It is seemingly getting progressively worse as time goes on, and potentially more dangerous.

I think you are spot on that it will take someone knowledgeable with sufficient resources to solve this problem, and it doesn't look like Thor is willing to do that, despite it being a warranty item. (This is precisely why I started this thread... are they really going to refuse a repurchase while simultaneously being either unable or unwilling to resolve a warranty issue?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
The OP has detailed the scummy underbelly of thor and we, not counting the cheering squad obviously, wish them success in their fight with the devil.
Thank you, chunker. I've heard from several people that I should take Thor's bogus inspection report and just sell it to a local dealer, effectively handing off the problem to either the dealer or the next unsuspecting buyer. In fact, several lawyers have told me that most of these manufacturers count on precisely that outcome. They try to wear you out either emotionally or financially until you have no choice. It is truly disgusting.

I'm trying to be part of the solution, rather than contributing to the problem.
Old 02-16-2023, 01:43 AM   #50

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Texas
THOR #22781
Fortunately Thor has cover all my repairs when under warranty.
Old 02-16-2023, 04:39 AM   #51

THOR #4243
Unfortunately, Thor's warranty is not worth the paper it's printed on. If you have small/little easy and inexpensive issues they will take care of that, but if you have a major issue or flaw, you're on your own. And their structural warranty is garbage also.
Old 02-23-2023, 01:50 AM   #52

Model: Palazzo
State: Oklahoma
THOR #28997
I’m having major structural problems with my 2023 Thor Palazzo, so I guess their going to give me a run around?
Old 02-23-2023, 01:56 AM   #53

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Texas
THOR #22781
See if you can get dealer to intervene as your agent/repair expert.
Old 02-23-2023, 02:06 AM   #54

THOR #28997
Thanks, the dealer is trying but Thor’s suggestion to them about the roof is use a 2x4 across all lifting fasteners to hammer them back down and if the canvas area tears patch it. But they refused because the unit is still under factory warranty. REALLY! SMH
Old 02-23-2023, 03:24 AM   #55

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurposeRv View Post
I’m having major structural problems with my 2023 Thor Palazzo, so I guess their going to give me a run around?
With the downturn in the economy thor and the other manufacturers are selling fewer RVs. Less profits and money for the illustrious managers responsible for these fine products. Thus they are going to cheap out on any warranty issue that doesn't involve a screw or two.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-23-2023, 04:40 AM   #56

THOR #28631
Quote:
Thanks, the dealer is trying but Thor’s suggestion to them about the roof is use a 2x4 across all lifting fasteners to hammer them back down and if the canvas area tears patch it. But they refused because the unit is still under factory warranty. REALLY! SMH
Very sorry to hear about this, PurposeRv. Thor's suggestion doesn't sound very encouraging. I'll presume that your dealer is a Thor Authorized Service Center? I might recommend convincing the dealer to take it in, on their lot, and let the clock start for the repair attempt and timeframe while they work it out with Thor. While that is happening, find your official warranty from Thor and read any details and timeframes that are relevant in the warranty. There are a web of nuances of RV laws depending on the state purchased and/or registered, as well as potential Indiana law as stipulated in your warranty. And of course, begin documenting everything in great detail.

I'm not a lawyer, but I feel I've learned quite a bit in this process. More than happy to share anything you may find useful... at least as long as I can. It is apparently standard practice for any resolution to come with an NDA. I suspect that this is why you never hear anything again from those who may have been successful in "convincing" Thor to do what is right. Happy to help as much as I can. Sorry to hear you are dealing with it.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:58 AM   #57

THOR #28997
Thank you Hoovis
Old 02-23-2023, 04:59 AM   #58

THOR #28997
I am working with an authorized dealership and they are keeping my best interest in mind for sure.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:05 AM   #59

THOR #22586
Quote:
I am working with an authorized dealership and they are keeping my best interest in mind for sure.
I strongly disagree with hooves. Yes take it in to get the issues documented but do NOT leave it with them. Take it home. If the dealer has it, work doesn't start sooner, it just sits on the back lot waiting. Meantime critters get in, batteries die, stuff gets stolen, and you can't use it. Develop the best relationship you can with the dealer because they are the ones who will convince thor to do the right thing.

While you hope the statement in red is true, in actuality in most cases after the RV leaves the sales lot, help is a distant memory. That's why being nice and reasonable with the service side goes a long way. DON'T start talking legal action yet, that shuts down any help.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-23-2023, 01:55 PM   #60

THOR #28997
Thanks Chunker21