Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 01:04 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #28631
Have you had a warranty problem that Thor won't fix?

I am trying to find out if it is common practice to simply be misled perpetually, or if this treatment is specific to me. I suspect this is all highly unusual (I certainly hope so), but would appreciate any input from those who may have been through it before. As concisely as I can describe the situation, I have a motorhome that apparently cannot be fixed.

I purchased a brand new Diesel Pusher from another state about a year and a half ago. My wife and I enrolled our kids into a private online school, and set off to travel the country. The problems began from the date of purchase, when constant service delays kept us from being able to have our coach picked up and delivered to us. The same problems have been persistent, albeit intermittent, ever since. There are times when it seems to be working fine, but at other times, the electrical system will essentially shut itself off. This means no lights, no A/C, no furnace, no water pump, no slides, etc. It is particularly troublesome in extreme heat or cold. Furthermore, two sets of house batteries went bad within the first year, and both roof A/C units went bad within the first eight months, along with other misc. items. It seems to probably be affecting the entire electrical system.

Including the initial service when this began on the dealer's lot, it has now been in for service 7 times for this issue alone, at six different Thor authorized service locations around the country (and I am not including other repair and Freightliner service stops in that figure). I have been told that this electrical issue is fixed and/or working properly multiple times, but the problem keeps resurfacing. (Last November, after the fourth service stop related to this same issue, I was begging Thor to let me take it to their factory for a fix, but was told this was absolutely not an option.)

Eventually, after a year of perpetual troubles, and still nobody willing to get me in for service despite serious safety issues (we just left 9 weeks of service in VA with no luck), I sent a certified letter to Thor to initiate a different response. As it turns out, the Thor factory is, in fact, available for service. At the time, however, I was now unwilling to drop it off on my own. I told Thor that I would not backtrack. It was problematic enough with the issues described above, but in addition to that, the dashboard hadn't worked since Virginia (it remained totally dark with no gauges the entire trip to Seattle -- roughly 3k miles). I suspect you can feel my frustration by this point.

The liaison at Thor asked for my cooperation to work this out together, essentially to avoid getting state attorney generals or other legal entities involved. I was happy to cooperate. I'd been all around the country just trying to get things to work properly, but I was running out of options, as I had significant safety issues, an expiring warranty, refusal of timely service everywhere I called, and six previous repair attempts for the same issue with no resolution. The liaison assured me he can make it right, and gave me his word that he'd tell me if they can't. The obvious implication, if it wasn't stated outright, was that they'd repurchase the vehicle if they can't fix it.

He told me they'd pick up the coach and would need 28 days once it arrived in Indiana. I said to go ahead and take 45 days. Ultimately, he agreed in writing (through e-mail) to provide an extended warranty, that the timeframe shall not exceed 45 days, and that they would hire a third party inspector to verify everything had been resolved and was working as designed.

To date, they have failed on every item. It has now been three months since it arrived in Indiana for service. They ignored my request to repurchase the vehicle since they can't meet their end of the agreement. Thor claims the 45 day timeframe was only relevant if they didn't find anything that would take them more time. Furthermore, they never provided the verbiage for the extended warranty, and they have yet to provide a report from a third party inspector... but they tell me one has been out twice to check everything for them. In short, they keep telling me it's ready to send back, but they have not done anything they promised, or at least aren't willing to directly state that they have.

I've stated twice that they are welcome to ship it back... as long as they state in writing that they've done everything possible to be sure the main electrical issue has been identified, rectified, and resolved, and that this has been verified by a third party. I'm simply asking them to state in writing that they did what was promised, so that I'm not given the coach back a seventh time with simply, "it seems to be working fine right now."

I am trying to be concise, but there is plenty more. I'm simply at a loss as Thor already has completely dismissed the timeframe they agreed to, won't provide extended warranty verbiage as promised, and won't even state that the issue is resolved... and yet keeps trying to send the coach back to me. If any of you have dealt with this, or anything remotely similar, I'm very interested in hearing your recommendations as to my next steps. Is it their standard practice to simply ignore agreements, refuse and delay, rinse and repeat? Has anyone ever heard of them voluntarily doing the right thing and admitting that something cannot be fixed (if that is the case)? This has merely become a very expensive paperweight that just sits halfway across the country. I can only hope that I'm alone in this kind of treatment for non-functioning motorhomes. I know that motorhomes will have problems, but this feels extreme.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-07-2022, 01:52 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I have never heard of Thor doing the right thing. Across the board, they manufacture the worst products in the RV industry. If I was you, I would write a letter to the Attorney General of every state that an authorized Thor repair facility worked on your coach. Maybe one of them will look into your claims. Good luck with your search for a resolution.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:51 PM   #3

THOR #28631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I have never heard of Thor doing the right thing. Across the board, they manufacture the worst products in the RV industry. If I was you, I would write a letter to the Attorney General of every state that an authorized Thor repair facility worked on your coach. Maybe one of them will look into your claims. Good luck with your search for a resolution.
Thank you, Lt. It is pretty shocking that they seem to be able to consistently treat all of their customers in this manner and still be in business. "I have never heard of Thor doing the right thing" is the sort of info that helps me realize what I'll need to do. I should have known much earlier... when I was first dismissed by being told, "this is why we don't recommend that people live in our motorhomes, especially if you are traveling."
Old 12-07-2022, 03:54 PM   #4

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Are you to related?
Old 12-07-2022, 04:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovis View Post
Thank you, Lt. It is pretty shocking that they seem to be able to consistently treat all of their customers in this manner and still be in business. "I have never heard of Thor doing the right thing" is the sort of info that helps me realize what I'll need to do. I should have known much earlier... when I was first dismissed by being told, "this is why we don't recommend that people live in our motorhomes, especially if you are traveling."
Thor doesn’t treat “all” their customers in that manner. Please quit using unsubstantiated claims.

As a note, in the years we owned the Challenger Thor always did the right thing and aside from a minor issue in the shakedown, for which Thor authorized and paid for a mobile tech, we never had an issue. And for the record that includes with the three Schwintec slides.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:12 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
For the books...I've had excellent service from Thor and the factory service center in Wakarusa is like a slice of heaven. It's the dealer network that's the problem. Customer attitudes (not saying you) have a lot to do with what you get from them. You can't polish a turd and they know that very well.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 12-07-2022, 04:13 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I had a long list of issues, and everything was taken care of, albeit a bit slower than i liked.

Even replaced the 55" tv due to the pinched cord

Thor truly made an effort to fix every item on my Word document at a dealership 30 miles away that wasn't the seller

QA is a known issue, but customer service has a decent track record

All manufacturers will have the occasional potential lemon
Old 12-07-2022, 04:34 PM   #8

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Wow, not the responses I had expected, usually brings out the thor haters. We've been full-time in our 2019 challenger and are still very happy with it and thor. They were great during 1st year warranty and once in awhile after 1st year was up they were still very helpful. In our 5th year now and still happy with our choice of motorhome.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:13 PM   #9

THOR #28631
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Thor doesn’t treat “all” their customers in that manner. Please quit using unsubstantiated claims.
EA, you are correct. I made an overgeneralization. When I go looking, I see all of the complaints, and while it isn't literal, it can seem like "all" of the people, or at least those with major problems.

Your input is valuable, and appreciated. All of you, even if I don't reply to everyone individually. I'm not here trying to complain. Frankly, I give myself credit for being as patient and tolerant as I have been, given the same issue that is highly problematic and has been consistent for the life of the coach. It has been seen for this specific issue in five different states, and it is becoming apparent to me that the problem cannot be fixed.

I truly am thrilled for everyone that has been treated well and has had their problems resolved. That doesn't apply to me. The input that I'm looking for pertains to constructive steps that anyone can suggest if a warranty problem cannot be fixed. While in Indiana, Thor has been great in finding and correcting a lot of minor issues that I never even brought up. The problem is that they can't tell me that they've resolved the issue which is the reason it is there in the first place.

Wrapped, I'm not following what you are saying. I'm not related to anyone here, if that was your question.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:17 PM   #10

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Florida
THOR #17449
Just document everything, Once you get it back and if it fails again. Let them know, if they give you the run around be polite hang up and call a attorney to start the process to replace your unit. It won't be fast probably take a year and it's a shame you have to go down this path but having worked in the corporate world sometimes this is what it takes. Basically it comes out of someone else's budget not warranty.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:11 PM   #11

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
The hardest problem to fix is intermittent electrical gremlins, I would write down the circumstances of when these things happen like moving, weather, temp unless a tech can duplicate the problem it will never get fixed, my guess is it’s a wiring issue probably rubbing somewhere along the frame or where it goes into the body somewhere.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:34 AM   #12

THOR #28631
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM41261 View Post
Just document everything, Once you get it back and if it fails again. Let them know, if they give you the run around be polite hang up and call a attorney to start the process to replace your unit. It won't be fast probably take a year and it's a shame you have to go down this path but having worked in the corporate world sometimes this is what it takes. Basically it comes out of someone else's budget not warranty.
Thanks, GTM. This is supposed to be the final attempt to resolve the problem, which is why I'm looking for input. It is also why I'm trying to determine if this is common, or if I'm the only one. If it was very rare, maybe the liaison handling it is doing things poorly and a letter to the CEO and Board would think, "think is egregious. We need to make this right." I don't know. I know that the liaison handling this now has already verified some of my statements by checking their phone records and has told me, "I'm so sorry you have been treated this way. That is not how we train our customer service reps and 'Karen' has been reprimanded. I assure you this won't happen going forward." This liaison is very courteous, but now seems unwilling to honor their end of the agreement. It probably will take a lawyer, but I'm hoping others here might know a "nicer" tactic. (I probably shouldn't care though, anymore, based on the Magnusson-Moss Act.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
The hardest problem to fix is intermittent electrical gremlins, I would write down the circumstances of when these things happen like moving, weather, temp unless a tech can duplicate the problem it will never get fixed, my guess is it’s a wiring issue probably rubbing somewhere along the frame or where it goes into the body somewhere.
simidrm, you are correct. I've done my part as best I can, and at least four of the service shops were able to duplicate the problem. That doesn't mean they can fix it. Usually, they kick me off the lot as they can't resolve the issue and don't want me taking up a parking space. The only reason I haven't had more service appointments is because nobody would get me in. We had to remain in mild climates and my wife and I would be calling places trying to find any authorized service center that would take us within a couple months, which was usually several states away.

But I agree. My problem is the kiss of death, and my frustration is coming from the fact that even Thor seems unable and/or unwilling to resolve the issue, and yet wants me to take it back.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:48 AM   #13

Model: Aria 3401
THOR #22245
Quote:
We must be the lucky one. We had a few issues and Thor authorize all of them without hesitation. They even replace our step cover actuators with a "good will" warranty authorization as the DP was 2 months out of warranty.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
Old 12-08-2022, 01:57 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
This forum, like many, has two basic posters. The ones that love Thor and the ones that don't. The ones that like Thor and are happy with their coaches post complimentary posts about how Thor has always fixed their defects. But that is the rub, their coaches have had problems and the posters give Thor an "A" for effort. These posters fail to hold Thor accountable for the poor quality of their products. A lot of those that don't like Thor, have moved on to other/better brands and are no longer here to complain. While I don't like the quality of my Hurricane's build, I am satisfied with it's usability. The chassis has never let me down and the components like A/C, heater, slides, plumbing components, etc have always worked. Sure, I am in the market for a higher quality coach, but am being very cautious and waiting for the overall economy to bottom out before I spend that kind of money again.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:14 PM   #15

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
This forum, like many, has two basic posters. The ones that love Thor and the ones that don't. The ones that like Thor and are happy with their coaches post complimentary posts about how Thor has always fixed their defects. But that is the rub, their coaches have had problems and the posters give Thor an "A" for effort. These posters fail to hold Thor accountable for the poor quality of their products. A lot of those that don't like Thor, have moved on to other/better brands and are no longer here to complain. ...worked. Sure, I am in the market for a higher quality coach, but am being very cautious and waiting for the overall economy to bottom out before I spend that kind of money again.
I am in the "don't like thor" category. Had a 21 omni which was abysmal build quality, dealing with a thor customer service which I feel was mostly lip service designed to slow things down until any factory warranty was expired. When I would write CS I would get a response that only addressed the "easy" stuff not everything. The canned response was "take it to an authorized repair/dealer" to look at. Locally that's a CW. ha ha!!

The structural deficiencies is why I ultimately dumped it and got a quality coach. I don't call them defects because a fault that is not done according to plan is a defect and these were built into the coach just like thor intended, deficiencies not defects. Yes it was costly but peace of mind and quality ain't cheap.

I still post here when appropriate because most RV issues are generic, from components to modification ideas. When someone asks about thor quality or responses I can just say look up my past postings, no sense in rewriting that book.

To me the OPs problems stem from a covid perspective. The bought into the "travel safely" idea but didn't properly research that travel method well. Bling, grandiose advertising, dealerships paint a real pretty picture of that turd and many fell for it. Hey it even gets experienced RVrs. The OPs experience also has 2 sides and it's a complicated thing to sort out and make it right. Experience is a very expensive teacher.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-08-2022, 01:11 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #22781
I have had excellent warranty service from Thor, exceeded expectations.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:10 PM   #17

Model: Sanctuary 19P
State: Ontario
THOR #27108
We are extremely satisfied with Thor. In the first year we had 5 issues. All resolved thanks to prompt response from customer service (both Thor factory and our dealership) and prompt shipment of the parts. We also want to share that we are very satisfied with the purchase of the Sanctuary 19. It is what we were looking for and it fits well our travel needs.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:33 PM   #18

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
My coach has been in service bays with some of the higher end coaches. And for some of the same issues.

When getting the new AquaHot (90 days old, and not a Thor product) worked on I had the only Tuscany/Thor in the 30 some odd bays. But I was in a resort area that catered to busses.

Now way am I letting Thor off on the lack of QA as when my coach was built, they missed several easy items that caused a lot of grief, especially the kinked hose behind the generator and the shower drain.

There are no perfect RV's out there from my experience but the lower the price point the more aggravating items you will have to deal with. I think were on number 10 RV in 60 years of owning at least one at a time, often two. I don't recall even one that didn't need quite a few tweaks.

I agree the less issues is the goal but that will never totally happen. There are simply too many components, and the pay scale is where it needs to be to keep Coaches and RV' s affordable for the general public.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:11 PM   #19

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
I feel your pain, I am a retired mechanic and have dealt with issue like yours, had a brand new truck that the a/c would quit working intermittently, the dealer replaced everything to do with that system and would say it ram for 8 hrs on the lot and is fixed and as soon as truck left it would quit again, I finally hooked up a computer to be able to monitor all a/c signals and found on hard bumps the a/c would go into emergency shutdown mode but would work again on cycling the key, wiggled every harness till I duplicated error, found the main harness going into cab had a wire wrapped around the bolt holding the harness into the block, repaired that wire and fixed the issue, but it took over a year to get to that point.
Old 12-09-2022, 01:30 PM   #20

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
My problems with getting warranty work done had more to do with the dealers than with Thor. I bought my RV out of state, and I couldn't find a local dealer that would do any warranty work on it. One dealer doesn't do any work on any RV they didn't sell. Another local Thor dealer said that since mine is a Chateau and they sell the Four Winds they couldn't do any warranty work. This seemed totally ridiculous to me since the Chateau and Four Winds are essentially identical except for some interior trim colors. They said this was Thor's policy, but I'm not sure.

Thankfully, I'm pretty handy at fixing stuff and I have done most of my own repairs. Mine is a 2018 and no longer under warranty, so if there is something that I cannot do I just have to pay the local shop a lot of money to fix it.