Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2023, 09:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22B
State: Florida
THOR #29658
Help! Shore power works / No gen power

Short version -
plug in at home - all works fine - hit the genny (Onan 4K) and it starts /runs and don't transfer over, even if I unplug from shore power. Went to the transfer switch, I have 120V coming from the gen, I pushed down on the contact in the transfer with to manually override, no luck. I changed the transfer switch, nothing - mind you, I'm still getting 120V from the gen. I manually over ride it again and while I do that I check the panel with the volt meter and I have 120V at the breaker. WTF I say. Neutral possibly? Everything is grounded, I checked that.

I'm running out of energy here. Thanks in advance.

Craig

Old 05-11-2023, 09:52 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
THOR #27719
120 volts between what leads?

Trip and reset the breaker on the generator.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:46 PM   #3

THOR #29658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geterdun View Post
120 volts between what leads?

Trip and reset the breaker on the generator.
From the conduit directly from the gen that's at the transfer switch - tested it disconnected from the switch. black has 115.7

I checked the breaker and she has the same, breaker is not tripping, checked it reguardless. What I did notice is the neutral has .10 on it if I remember correctly, im going to check it again. When I perform the same test on the shore power side, same 115.7 on the black wire, 0 on the neutral.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:55 PM   #4

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Can you clarify, you state you have 120v from the genny, but do you have a 120vac on the output side of the ATS when genny is on?

Sounds like you are saying you have replaced the ATS and I am assuming now, that you had no 120vac output at the ATS Switch on either ATS Switch?

Assuming even further, and given you have wherewithal to replace the ATS, I would have simply reversed the input to verify that you get output regardless of the input using shore power. This would have confirmed issue with the generator that despite running, it is insufficient electricity.

Now for guess at a hot fix as I am assuming issue is with generator. Connect a electric drill while genny is running ( assumption it will NOT work when trigger is pressed) While depressing the trigger on the drill, spin the drill chuck in reverse direction. Be careful because if it works the drill will start spinning. Wear gloves. I have done this twice on my portable generator and it worked both times. Somehow this excites the magnetic field and the generator will now produce electricity. If spinning the chuck one direction does not work, try spinning the chuck in the other direction as you may have the reverse switch positioned backward.

Good luck
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:05 PM   #5

Model: SOB
THOR #27719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig/A View Post
From the conduit directly from the gen that's at the transfer switch - tested it disconnected from the switch. black has 115.7

I checked the breaker and she has the same, breaker is not tripping, checked it reguardless. What I did notice is the neutral has .10 on it if I remember correctly, im going to check it again. When I perform the same test on the shore power side, same 115.7 on the black wire, 0 on the neutral.
Voltage is a difference of electrical potential between 2 points. When I ask "between what" I'm asking what leads you are measuring between - there are 3 leads associated with a 120 volt power source.

Did you trip and reset the generator breaker? It may be passing voltage by induction but unable to pass any useful current. Tripping and resetting the breaker causes the contacts to make a better connection so useful current can pass downstream.
Old 05-12-2023, 02:11 AM   #6

THOR #29658
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Can you clarify, you state you have 120v from the genny, but do you have a 120vac on the output side of the ATS when genny is on?

Sounds like you are saying you have replaced the ATS and I am assuming now, that you had no 120vac output at the ATS Switch on either ATS Switch?

Assuming even further, and given you have wherewithal to replace the ATS, I would have simply reversed the input to verify that you get output regardless of the input using shore power. This would have confirmed issue with the generator that despite running, it is insufficient electricity.

Now for guess at a hot fix as I am assuming issue is with generator. Connect a electric drill while genny is running ( assumption it will NOT work when trigger is pressed) While depressing the trigger on the drill, spin the drill chuck in reverse direction. Be careful because if it works the drill will start spinning. Wear gloves. I have done this twice on my portable generator and it worked both times. Somehow this excites the magnetic field and the generator will now produce electricity. If spinning the chuck one direction does not work, try spinning the chuck in the other direction as you may have the reverse switch positioned backward.

Good luck
Thanks for replying! I don't have 120V on the output of the ATS unless I manually push it down, now my panel is getting the 120V but I just realized that I'm also getting 117V on the neutral (I'm attaching an image) - pretty interesting. I disconnected the the 14/3 from the ATS that comes from the gen and tested the neutral and I'm getting the same reading. Shore power is fine - all appliances work fine. so either that connection from the gen to the ATS energized somehow or the gen is screwed up. I assume, which I hate to do.
Should I still do the drill trick?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2076jpeg.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	41945  
Old 05-12-2023, 03:19 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Shouldn't you be using 10/2 NM-B for a 30 amp circuit? Has your generator or transfer switch been rewired at some time? You should have orange "Romex" 10 gauge with hot (black), neutral (white) and bare copper ground. This should be both from your shore power and the generator going into the transfer switch. The branch circuits then usually use 14/2 for 15 amp circuits.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:22 PM   #8

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
What model ATS do you have? It should automatically energize the ATS relay after 25-45 seconds. Recheck your wiring. Flip the breaker on your genset like others recommend.

What do you mean “everything is grounded”?
Old 05-17-2023, 06:36 PM   #9

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1281
Check the relay In the battery control box and reset it. There is a small white button on the side of the relay