Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2020, 07:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
How has the pandemic changed how you use your Motorhome?

I saw a link like this but it wasn't a discussion.

I purchased my XG32 in August so I could continue to work and not fly, lodge in hotels, dine in, or use public bathrooms. I have put 5000 miles and 20 nights to date. I make 2 to 3 day jaunts, pull either my Grand Cherokee, or a Wrangler Rubicon. I use the GC when I am working, and the Wrangler when I am playing.

I love coming back from sales trip and recounting that I didn't use one public bathroom, eat in one restaurant, and just made one trip to a grocery store. Also, hotels all smell like pinesol, don't do any breakfast buffets, and the price is still high.

I can write off .58 a mile, deduct my interest, and other costs.

One other thing the XG32 is small enough drive through a parking lot and since it has the same wheel base as a UPS truck i can put it about anywhere.

Covid is the main reason I went this direction, the other was my pickup and large 5th wheel was too much work and required shore power.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:48 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
We have a Vegas 24.1. We use it a lot. Just got back from 2.5 week/3800 mile trip towing drag car on trailer. Also had week atDisney campground with kids.

We are in 5th year with this. Between vacations and multi day races it has proven to be a great investment.

We even use at North house when we have visitors.

Heading out in morning to spend few days with family.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This was a very quiet year for us. Due to "co-morbidity" lists that were too long for both of us: we canceled two trips.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:21 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Once the COE campgrounds opened in June, we were able to spend a week each month, June through October in our RV at different sites.
This allowed us to stick close to home, maintaining social distancing, and still be able to camp..
We’ll see what next year brings.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #5

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
We have a Vegas 24.1. We use it a lot. Just got back from 2.5 week/3800 mile trip towing drag car on trailer. Also had week atDisney campground with kids.

We are in 5th year with this. Between vacations and multi day races it has proven to be a great investment.

We even use at North house when we have visitors.

Heading out in morning to spend few days with family.
I love the independence. It is so self contained and I have an honest average mileage of 10 mpg. Depends on speed, mountains, and wind. But that is about average. I am Platinum, for life, Marriott and did an average of 75 nights a year for twenty years. Best decision
Old 11-11-2020, 10:52 PM   #6

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
This was a very quiet year for us. Due to "co-morbidity" lists that were too long for both of us: we canceled two trips.
Head west were the government isn't so closed down. Spend Jan - March in AZ.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:02 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
This thing called a career (42 years and still growing), gets in the way of that.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:07 PM   #8

THOR #19682
Quote:
This thing called a career (42 years and still growing), gets in the way of that.
Life has a way of getting in the way of living it. I could retire but I still love to work. So when I am bopping around in the motorhome making sales and installing medical equipment it seems a lot more fun. My wife tags along and the windshield time is so much better than TSA lines and rental car counters.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:14 PM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
As far as I’m concerned..... our Magnitude made 2020 and dealing with COVID bearable and for the problems i may have had with it I am more glad I have had it.

I travel for work and my wife was a dental assistant. My travel for work got shut down by my company and customers on March 11. My wife’s offices closer at the end of that week.

We loaded up the Magnitude and went to the KOA in Wilmington, NC. I work from home when not traveling so working from the motorhome was a great option. We figured we had a bubble on wheels and we still had to go to the grocery store whether we were in a stationary home or a motorhome. Why not isolate in nice weather and see the outdoors?

The week we planned to stay in Wilmington turned into 12 days. We headed home after the local county government made the KOA shut down. We then headed to South Carolina for a week and Georgia for another week.

We went back home for a bit and then headed to VA Beach for a week.

We did more camping and traveling this year because of COVID than we normally would do in a season and I got to work from my home office on wheels.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:47 PM   #10

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
As far as I’m concerned..... our Magnitude made 2020 and dealing with COVID bearable and for the problems i may have had with it I am more glad I have had it.

I travel for work and my wife was a dental assistant. My travel for work got shut down by my company and customers on March 11. My wife’s offices closer at the end of that week.

We loaded up the Magnitude and went to the KOA in Wilmington, NC. I work from home when not traveling so working from the motorhome was a great option. We figured we had a bubble on wheels and we still had to go to the grocery store whether we were in a stationary home or a motorhome. Why not isolate in nice weather and see the outdoors?

The week we planned to stay in Wilmington turned into 12 days. We headed home after the local county government made the KOA shut down. We then headed to South Carolina for a week and Georgia for another week.

We went back home for a bit and then headed to VA Beach for a week.

We did more camping and traveling this year because of COVID than we normally would do in a season and I got to work from my home office on wheels.

Your information was very helpful for me to get setup. Thanks for your posts and comments. I will keep the XG32 heated and I won't winterize it. If can head to SOCAL and Phoenix from St. George, Utah any month of the year. If I get on a chain or 4x4 mountain pass, I will do just fine. I haven't considered any issues I've had with the motorhome too uncommon. I did notice a leak when on city water, coming out the bottom of the kitchen slide. It doesn't do it from the tank and pump. I will investigate that in the spring.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:08 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Indiana
THOR #20004
Quote:
We hear you Bob. We just bought our 24.1 and thought it would be a great way to travel safely. Given how much worse the infection rates have gotten, we just do t feel like we have any room for error.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
RodIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:15 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
same here we will travel the country as a life and health agent working from the Vegas. Wife retire H.S. Principal .. this is the most fun we have ever had.. FREEDOM no ones bath, cook your own food, convert the dinette to a bed and watch movies!!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:20 PM   #13

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I still feel the motorhome is just about as good of a "bubble" as your stationary home.

Either way you still need to go out for essentials so that is a wash. The real key is it lets you spend time out doors in warmer weather versus being indoors. You typically are separated by more than 10 feet from anyone else when camping.

If you look at COVID since the beginning in the US, what were the trends?

- Northern (colder) states got hit harder and faster than the southern (warmer states) back in late winter and early spring because people were spending all their time indoors in the winter months while in the south people were outside.

- Southern (hotter) states got hit harder and northern states (cooler) were not as bad during the summer because people were indoors in the A/C in places like FL, TX and AZ while more people were outdoors and windows were open in the northern states.

- Northern states are surging much more now than southern states once again as the cold weather returns and people move indoors in then north. We are down in FL where the weather is perfect to be outdoors or have the window and doors open and there is plenty of outdoor dining and shopping. COVID is not surging nearly as much here as it back in PA.

We typically head back north to snowmobile in December, January and February but the way things are looking for PA, NY, MI and ME, we may not get to snowmobile this year with indoor dining being shut down and other restrictions.

If we didn't have our place in FL and we were "trapped" in the northern states, we most certainly would be loading up the motorhome and heading to warmer climates this winter..... as we did last spring when we made it through the madness in the coach when things first hit.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:50 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
We cancelled our big summer trip as the folks at the destination have multiple co-morbidity issues. But we did use the coach for week long trips every month except this one. We don't travel during the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons. While the government parks were temporarily closed, Thousand Trails parks in Texas were open so we went to them. Finally got some use out of that membership acquired with our first new coach back in the 90s. We'll pick back up in January or February, so not much changed for us, but we are both retired and can do what ever we want.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:04 AM   #15

State: Washington
THOR #6433
For us this year what really got us was my wife and I are both essential workers. My employer really locked down on travel restrictions so for the longest time we weren’t allowed to go anywhere. By 3 months into the lock down stuff though they started making a lot exceptions for anyone that could camp . They figured it was no different then being in your own house. Once that was done we were out every weekend from June through September. Next year we were planning on going to Disneyland for my sons fifth birthday but since that’s on crazy strict lockdown, we are planning for Fort wilderness and a month long trip from Washington. The biggest thing we noticed is there are a lot more campers out there now so it’s getting harder to find places to camp.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:16 AM   #16

State: California
THOR #19337
Happy Camping

We traveled each month, and all of July. Stayed in KOA's and Thousand Trails mostly. Live in Cal, traveled around western states.

I agree with Judge, we figured we might as well isolate out in the countryside with great views. Had no issues, some states were more open than others.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #17

Model: XG32 Magnitude
State: Alaska
THOR #21373

Only a few things about cv19 have me worried. Btw, brand spanking new to Thor Forum, this is my first post.

Some worrisome issues are:

1. Gambling and stripper clubs are open but not church?
2. Anti-pants and bootie-lite-madders are all A-okay mask-less-ers but everyone else are the superspreaders?
3. My 80-y/o mom was convicted of cvd but only for about an hour or however long it took the eskimo hospital to register for the biga$$ fed dollars incentive. Then she was released tho [no one can see you & you can see no one jail]. But wait, there's more. They informed her to increase exercise as the cure for why she struggled to breathe....they accused her of being fat and lazy. My mom is not!! She's a post-polio person confined to wheelchair. Her story only gets worse, but I'll stop there; unless, of course, you want me to tell you about what the second hospital did to her in Soldotna, which was similar to the Anchorage one, except they treated her double pneumonia, *after* also registering for the incentive as if she actually had it. She didn't!! They released her with no restriction.

Please don't hate me too much for my first post. I'm angry for my mom but normally we're both pretty nice and lovable people.

I want to drive our XG32 up to Alaska and have her meet our dogs who would help her more than the so-called health providers. Praying that the guy with fake eyebrows in Canada will let us thru this coming spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TajTrinHan.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	27416  
Old 11-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!
And we're sorry to read about your Mom's struggles.
I hope that she recovered from her "expert" care...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:46 PM   #19

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
You folks south of the border are very fortunate to be able to travel between states and get out and use your rigs. Here in Canada we are not allowed to travel to some the other provinces or seek places with better weather. This past year we only got to go camping for a total of 3 weeks where in pre Covid we were going on one extended trip and many small excursions for 12 weeks in total.
Stay safe and enjoy when you can
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23TB
Old 11-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #20

Model: XG32 Magnitude
State: Alaska
THOR #21373
<3

Quote:
Welcome to the Forum!
And we're sorry to read about your Mom's struggles.
I hope that she recovered from her "expert" care...
Thanks, Bob! God bless you!!