Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2020, 12:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #17202
How many people on here have gone to Wakarusa for warranty service by the factory?

Just like the title states.

Did Thor get the coach or did you drive it up and pay for gas? Were you reimbursed at all for expenses?

I have an appointment coming up. At first they said they would help with fuel costs. Now they said no. It is a long trip from central florida for me with flights home and back to pick it up. It's going to cost me at least $1500 with the gas, hotel and airline tickets.

I have been trying to get warranty issues fixed for nearly 11 months but Thor keeps sending damaged parts and the dealership can't seem to put competent techs on the jobs.

I would love to hear how everyone else is handling it.

Thanks.

Pete

Old 09-14-2020, 12:43 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Airline tickets? Most problems are repaired in a day, two at the most. Why not just get a hotel?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:45 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I went a few years ago. It wasn't under warranty so I paid for the repairs.

I live close enough that I just drove home in a rental (don't remember who paid for that).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:51 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Per your warranty, transportation to the dealer or service center for repairs is at the owner’s expense. Under unusual circumstances Thor has reimbursed for a hotel room but that is not the norm.

Talk to Thor when you call for the appointment, and yes, you must have an appointment.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:10 AM   #5

THOR #17202
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Airline tickets? Most problems are repaired in a day, two at the most. Why not just get a hotel?
I have 28 line items that need to be addressed. The entire shower and walls need to be replaced. There are also roof structural issues. I'm really hoping for one day, but I highly highly doubt it.

It has spent 150 combined days at the dealerships and they have been unable to fix to new standards.

I do have my appointment already set up.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:20 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I have been to the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa once and am scheduled for for a visit in late October. My experience thus far has been positive with the Factory Service Center.

The first visit was my choice and the work could have been done by the dealer. I had a long list of items and it would have been done in a day (they had multiple people working on it) but they found an area that needed repainted so it ended up taking several days.

My upcoming appointment is to deal with the cab-over cap. It began flexing and creating gaps at the cab when leveling. Thor told me I would have to bring it to Wakarusa because it was not something the dealer could handle.

I believe that if you choose to go to Wakarusa, it is on your dime, If Thor says the work needs to be done by them because a dealer can't handle it, they will likely help with expenses. They originally told me they would when I started the process to get a visit scheduled. I have not brought up the topic again but plan to when I get there.

Even if I have to pay for my travel expenses, I am ok with it provided they fix it right.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:45 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Will extended warranty pick up the cost of daily expenses ?
I know some exclude the refunds if the work is warranty work and some don't exclude warranty work.
I personally think asking for travel due to a misaligned door and such when 75 or so repair facilities are closer is a bit distasteful.
Judge is different. It has to be done at the factory.

(my Bennington pontoon boat: they came from Elkhart indiana to lake Havasu Arizona, loaded it on a truck, took it to Elkhart, installed a new engine pod instead of fixing a weld I could have done in an hour, loaded it on a truck and brought it back. All as part of a lifetime structural warranty 6 years after the purchase. AND I was technically, by 4 hours and a registration, the second owner. Sometimes entry level comes with a price the deluxe model doesn't)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:43 PM   #8

THOR #17202
Update.
My coach spent three and a half weeks at the factory service center getting repaired. They originally quoted a little over a week but it took substantially longer. It did not bother me that it took a little extra time.

let me say the experience at the factory service center was awesome. The two technicians that worked on my coach listen to my concerns and did an excellent job of fixing the items that I listed and even repairing items that I did not know were broken. They really went above and beyond to fix the issues at hand.

If anyone has a coach that they are having issues with where the dealer is not fixing the items correctly, definitely take it directly to Thor and have them fix it. You will certainly not regret that decision. My faith in Thor has been restored from the way they handled these warranty repairs. Although I wish they would build a better coach from the start, the text really did an amazing job of fixing anything and everything with no pushback whatsoever.

I still have one lingering issue, but that is not Thor's problem. It has to do with the driveline issue that needs to be addressed by MORryde.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:02 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to see that this experience worked out so well for you!

Even though it's a shame that it was necessary...
Old 11-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #10

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Glad they got you fixed to your satisfaction. I like hearing good reports much more than negative.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
It is always good to hear something positive. Attitude has a lot to do with the type of experience you receive. You sounded very positive and the result was a great factory experience.

Paul
Old 11-01-2020, 09:20 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I wonder if you could just have all of the necessary parts shipped to Wakarusa, and have them build your RV?
Old 11-01-2020, 11:04 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I wonder if you could just have all of the necessary parts shipped to Wakarusa, and have them build your RV?
No need to ship them, they are right around the corner from the plants--its likely where they get all the replacement parts anyway.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:11 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
So how much are we willing to pay for THAT service?
Old 11-01-2020, 11:31 PM   #15

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
That is the real plus with going to Wakarusa.... even for non-warranty service. They can walk across the parking lot to get the parts they need; unlike a dealer or service shop who has to order parts and then wait a few days to get them.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:38 PM   #16

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
All the parts are right there. No waiting to get them shipped to the dealer or dealer delays in ordering parts.

We took our ACE there for some work under warranty and were very pleased. I'd go there again of it was repair work that I did not trust the dealer to do right. I'm lucky to have a decent dealer though.

We did not get reimbursed for expenses. Never thought of that. We stopped (scheduled ahead of time) on our way from Ohio back home to MN.

I did notice at the time, that the Wakarusa hourly rate was $100 and my dealer is $150. Depending on what I needed worked on that could be a factor too. The rate may have changed. This was three years ago that we were there.

John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote