Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2021, 12:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #4227
Jack pads

I am getting ready to have a Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveler system installed on my 2010 Freedom Elite 21 C on a Ford E350 cut away dually chasis.
I have opted for the 10 “ steel “feet”
Wondering what everyone is using for jack pads under their jacks?
I am really trying to get away from hauling around the assorted slabs of wood.
Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences

Old 07-18-2021, 12:50 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Jack pads

Snap Pads.......

Have used them on two coaches now and they work very well.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:47 PM   #3

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
2nd vote for snap pads.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:49 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
And here's the third one!
Old 07-25-2021, 04:26 PM   #5

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
I still vote for blocks of wood and one reason is to give some height so the jacks are not extended so far and be "leggy".
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:16 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Storage space is at a premium for us. Snap pads work well for us.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:28 PM   #7

Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
Snap Pads, and if your a Veteran you get a discount
Old 07-25-2021, 05:36 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Snap pads and if your coach cannot handle the jacks at full extension then you have the wrong leveling system (not strong enough) for the coach.

The only reason why blocks of wood may be necessarily is if the site is so out of level the leveling system cannot compensate for the slope. In that case find a better camp site.

I had a campground move us last night because the slope in the site was such that I could not level with raising the front wheels off the ground by 3 inches. Totally unacceptable when the campground on their website advertises "level sites".
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:56 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I had a Bigfoot Platinum system installed on our E-350 chassis about a month ago. The problem you will find is the ground clearance. For each chassis scenario they strike a balance between having ample ground clearance (jacks fully raised) and providing ample "coach lift" for leveling. I forget the exact hydraulic cylinder extension... but with the Ford E series they must weld them fairly low. On my class C, the Snap Pads were too thick... they were concerned they would drag in tight clearance situations. BUMMER!!

I feel your pain on the storage!! But... my solution - go to Tractor Supply, or any farm store, and buy a small stall mat (used in horse stalls). They are hard rubber, and nearly indestructible. I cut it into 4 1-foot square pads. It's a compromise for sure, and not as convenient... and still takes a little bit of storage. Somewhat of a PIA having to do one more step tossing the pads under the feet and all, but hey... the motorhome is perfectly level now... and rock solid!
Old 07-25-2021, 09:42 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Snap pads and if your coach cannot handle the jacks at full extension then you have the wrong leveling system (not strong enough) for the coach.

The only reason why blocks of wood may be necessarily is if the site is so out of level the leveling system cannot compensate for the slope. In that case find a better camp site.

I had a campground move us last night because the slope in the site was such that I could not level with raising the front wheels off the ground by 3 inches. Totally unacceptable when the campground on their website advertises "level sites".

I carry “lego” blocks for when leveling would require wheels to be off the ground. Put the required number under the wheels and the same number under the jacks. I’ve never needed more than 2 in each location. Not really a big deal for us.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:37 PM   #11

THOR #22586
Curious but other than making the "foot" bigger what problem is solved by snap pads? On a previous thread I commented that a few, very few, places we have been required WOOD blocks under the jacks/stabilizers. My blocks add to elevation and footprint size in soft terrain. I would guess that the lego style pads would suffice rather than a strict adherence to wood, but that's what was published.

EDIT adding; I looked at the snap pad ads and their 8 benefits. I suppose they can be nice but kind of lame in my opinion. A bit of a solution to not much of a problem.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 07-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #12

THOR #17765
After our first year of use the metal feet were curled up like bowls so that on a flat surface all the weight was on the cylinder. I used my Smithy skills to straighten them out. I think the snap pads absorb some of that weight differential so as to not allow the metal feet to bend again.

But I’m still trying to contact the guy on a different thread who made his own extra heavy duty foot pads.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
We always use the wood under the pads on ANY stone surface. Keeps the weight distribution over the surface of the pad even, let cheap wood absorb the pressure points. Was on a site where the stone was very large (about 1" in diameter) and that can cause the pad to bend if you only have a few stones in contact with the pad.
If concrete or asphalt don't need the wood and these surfaces are typically mostly level to begin with.
But having a stack of something for a out of level site is good to have, but I have a storage area that can hold a bunch.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #14

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatics View Post
We always use the wood under the pads on ANY stone surface. Keeps the weight distribution over the surface of the pad even, let cheap wood absorb the pressure points. Was on a site where the stone was very large (about 1" in diameter) and that can cause the pad to bend if you only have a few stones in contact with the pad.
If concrete or asphalt don't need the wood and these surfaces are typically mostly level to begin with.
But having a stack of something for a out of level site is good to have, but I have a storage area that can hold a bunch.
In the south asphalt, especially new, can get soft in the heat and the jack feet will leave a depression. I've seen motorcycle kick stands sink in a couple inches and virtually trap the bike. At the county park in Hamilton County TN they require the use of blocks on their asphalt pads. One in central FL specified wood. That was a few years ago so maybe they updated.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 07-27-2021, 03:02 PM   #15

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
In the south asphalt, especially new, can get soft in the heat and the jack feet will leave a depression. I've seen motorcycle kick stands sink in a couple inches and virtually trap the bike. At the county park in Hamilton County TN they require the use of blocks on their asphalt pads. One in central FL specified wood. That was a few years ago so maybe they updated.
Heavier coaches require wood on asphalt or rock for sure

I use my wood blocks to keep rock off the top of the pads as they will sink in soft or wet gravel sites

Saw a latge class A coach yesterday at Walmart, 4 slides extended, jacks down, grill outside

Driving by it was clearly visible the back jack pads were sunken into the asphalt at least 2 inches as the top was below lthe surface

Temperature was about 100 so it was warm outside
Old 07-27-2021, 03:22 PM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Heavier coaches require wood on asphalt or rock for sure

I use my wood blocks to keep rock off the top of the pads as they will sink in soft or wet gravel sites

Saw a latge class A coach yesterday at Walmart, 4 slides extended, jacks down, grill outside

Driving by it was clearly visible the back jack pads were sunken into the asphalt at least 2 inches as the top was below lthe surface

Temperature was about 100 so it was warm outside
And the damage to parking lots is one of the reasons may landowners leasing to WalMart no longer allow overnight parking in WalMart parking lots.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:28 PM   #17

THOR #17765
I thought the etiquette at Walmart, Cracker Barrell, etc. was to not extend slides and to buy something. Slides extended, Jack’s down, grill out? Sorry, but at a lot of Walmart’s we’ve been to I’d stay inside, doors locked, ammo loaded and ready.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:14 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I was over at IRV2 a while ago and people were discussing the merits or lack therof of extending their oil changes based on advertising claims that synthetic oils can go for longer than engine manufacturers requirements. Pages of discussions about not spending $30.00 for a jug of oil and a filter. But I bet those same folks all have snap pads to protect the asphalt at Wal Mart. Another vote for no snap pads.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #19

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
And the damage to parking lots is one of the reasons may landowners leasing to WalMart no longer allow overnight parking in WalMart parking lots.
We commented that there will be one less place to stay a few hours

Looked like a new coach so maybe they weren't aware of Wally Docking etiquette
Old 07-28-2021, 12:52 PM   #20

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
We commented that there will be one less place to stay a few hours

Looked like a new coach so maybe they weren't aware of Wally Docking etiquette
We have stayed at Walmarts quite a few times and I'll put out slides if there is room. I don't put out awnings, lawn chairs, grills, jacks, or pet enclosures. I treat it like a NFS camp ground, leave no trace, pack it in, pack it out. We usually do shop for supper when we stay. Max stay 1 night. I also call ahead to the store and ask for permission and where they would like me to park. I follow their requests.

In Meridian MS I saw 3 large As and 5th wheels circle the wagons, set all their gear out, block driving lanes, and proceed to "gather round the propane fireplace. We left early the next morning so not sure how long they were planning to be squatters.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ