Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2022, 09:37 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
2020 Thor Daybreak 22GO [24ft], Chevy 6.0, 6sp auto. Depending upon load, wind, & speed: 8.25 to 9.5mpg. Average about 8.6 with 6 adults, 2-hundred pound dogs, fully loaded w gear, food, water, gas, & waste water, 65 to 70mph, with no significant headwind. Dash AC or roof AC w generator on or off makes about 1/4 mpg difference. Headwinds can make up to 1/2 mpg difference. Speed above 70mph can make up to 1/2 mpg difference.
Overall we are happy with the easy driving of the unit in parking lots or highway.
BTW, two different dealerships said this unit and the comparable units with the Chevy drivetrain would get 9-12 mpg. The Chevy drivetrain noise is MUCH LESS than the Fords.
Average trip mileage from central KS to Pensacolla, FL and back [up to 75mph, loaded as above] was 8.4.
JC

Old 03-26-2022, 10:09 PM   #22

State: Florida
THOR #6333
I have a 2017 Thor KM24 which has the V6 diesel and full side slide. We don't tow, but I'd bet we travel heavy. We log gas mileage religiously. On rare occasion we have been just below 11 and as high as 16. We used to set and forget the speed control at 63mph. We would get around 13.5mpg. We recently decided to bump it up to 70mph and mpg dropped to around 12.5. Travel mostly with empty B and G tanks and 1/2 full water. On rare occasion when or tanks are close to full we lose 1mpg.
As far as the MB V6 engine I have not found maintenance costs because I can do most of the routine work myself. My model year had a bunch of recalls. I hated trips to the dealer for those as they always found something extra. The local MB dealer topped off the def and tried to charge $70 (my personal records showed I had filled it 600 miles earlier.) I refused to pay for it. The only place I disliked going to more was the local RV dealership. We downsized from 34' to 24' and love the decision. The old Ford 460 got 4mpg and we were limited where we could comfortably travel and we are travelers. With the 24' we can pick up go much more easily, find parking in town and boondock more places.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:54 PM   #23

Model: Venetian M37
State: Texas
THOR #10920
If gas mileage is a concern, you probably should not be buying. It’s a small cost of the whole RV thing. Think Truck and weight. Takes a lot of gas to move heavy stuff. The bigger the tank, the better.

Big costs are the repairs, maintenance, tires and storage.

BTW, I get 16 - 18 with an aluminum body pickup weighing about 5000 lbs.
Old 03-27-2022, 12:37 AM   #24

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #16889
Mpg no way. Maybe if it's on the Mercedes chassis. Then you pay double for it and we'll over $4 a gal for fuel. I had a24 ft class c and because of ride it came apart at seamms.
Old 03-27-2022, 01:29 AM   #25

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If you're looking at anything larger than a van, forget about "better" fuel mileage... it's gonna be 8 to 10 on a class C on a cutaway chassis.

Motorhomes, being a recreational vehicle, are typically seasonal use, low mileage vehicles. The mindset of maximizing gas mileage in a low mileage vehicle is misguided. If you do the math, for most trips fuel is down the list for the largest expense.

That said, there are folks who put many thousands of miles behind them each year... therefore fuel expense is significant. We hope to be one of those in a couple years! BUT - I think that group is the minority of motorhome owners... most units sit most of the time in storage.

Bottom line... choose your motorhome for it's ability to provide your travel style in size and comfort. We chose ours because we enjoy boondocking off the beaten path, but we wanted a REAL bathroom and comfortable bed and storage. The difference between 9mpg and 12mpg is nothing compared to the convenience and comforts we'd have to sacrifice to get the marginal fuel savings.
Old 03-27-2022, 02:51 AM   #26
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
This is my fuel expense from yesterday. I have a 100 gallon tank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	56602243-9CB4-465E-AF67-7065B36B6955.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	36642

We are budgeting 7,500.00 for fuel and DEF for our summer travels this year. We are also budgeting 15,000 for campgrounds and 5,000 for misc.

Our rig is at the Freightliner dealer and will get its annual PM service (LOF, fuel filters etc…) on Monday. That will cost about 600.00 with the increase in oil cost. The last service in July cost 461.00 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

I have always said if you have to ask about MPG go somewhere else because a motorhome is not for you.

As a note, three motorhomes during the last 10 years and the only time we ever got over 8.5 mpg was going downhill with a 15 mph tailwind.
Old 03-27-2022, 03:13 AM   #27

THOR #16721
At least regular petrol has dropped an additional 10¢ to $4 around our area. This seems to be the trend for hillbilly heaven (southern WV) where we're heading in May. We'll see...

The rig is now sitting in the back yard with a full tank of last year's cheap "sub $3" gas. Not for long!
Old 03-27-2022, 04:16 AM   #28

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
For those that keep saying something like "If gas mileage is important to you, then a motorhome is not what you should be getting" : We are retired on a fixed income. Our Class C is primarily used as a travel vehicle, transporting us, my almost adult grandkids, daughter, and two very large [Bernese Mountian] dogs cross country to attend competitive swim meets. Most hotels won't allow two large dogs in the rooms. The average swim trip is 400 to 500 miles RT from Friday to Sunday. The gas cost of these trips at least once or twice a month, year round, is significant! It is important to us! The dogs are a big part of our family and the choice to use a motorhome/camper to travel. If what I read is true, that applies to almost half of RV owners. Using a Kennel is not a good option both for cost and my wife's temperment.
Please do not demean my family and others that are concerned about travel costs. Also, these statements do nothing to help authors with questions like what started this thread.
BTW, my grandkids are/have been college NAIA All-Americans and high school KSHSAA All-State swimmers
JC
Old 03-27-2022, 05:18 AM   #29

THOR #16721
JimC - I for one meant no disrespect to you and your family... my intention was to attempt to create a frame of reference for fuel costs. Obviously when you drive more, it is VERY expensive. The "typical" motorhome gets driven VERY few miles compared to a car. That was my point.

Further, I am also retired on a fixed income. One year from this coming June, so will my wife. We will be traveling on a VERY tight budget, and fluctuating fuel costs, among everything else, forces us to make travel decisions based on a strict budget. We count ourselves VERY fortunate to be able to even dream of this.

No need to explain your travel for sports. Both my kids played travel baseball and softball for many summers. We stayed primarily in hotels, traveling in a Honda Odyssey van. That was our summer vacations. It took two decent incomes to afford a VERY expensive nationwide adventure for our kids. However, it did result in a full D-I scholarship for our daughter... with a teaching degree... now in her 12th year of teaching.

So... this is straying far off topic. I will finish by saying that our 24' class C is relatively small, but we have adapted it to make it work perfectly for us. It's definitely a couples coach.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:51 AM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #5767
I get 14 to 15 MPG on my 24 Citation Mercedes 6 Cyl. My wife got up to 17. So depends on the weight in it, The Speed. The terrain.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:57 AM   #31

State: Arkansas
THOR #16239
Mileage

I regularly get 13-14 mpg in my 24 ft. Siesta Sprinter (Mercedes). Have gotten as much as 15.5 but 13-14 is very consistent. I travel by myself (with small dog) and it is the perfect size for one person. With grandkids, space might be a challenge.
Old 03-27-2022, 01:12 PM   #32

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
We used to have a 2019 Four Winds 24MB on the Sprinter chassis. Loaded we averaged about 12.5 MPGs. It was big enough for us two and our Dobie and the dinette was oversized and comfortable as was the bed.

The drawbacks were the very low cargo carrying capacity and you can't use the bed with the slide retracted.

Build quality is a hit and miss among all manufacturers on entry and mid-level RVs. If you buy a used unit and the original owner half-way cared most bugs should be worked out already,
Old 03-28-2022, 05:34 PM   #33

Model: 24FS Four Winds
State: California
THOR #21521
24 ft Class C

I get 12-13 mpg with my Thor Four Winds 24ft, Sprinter chassis with 3liter V6 Diesel. 13 mpg if I keep it at 60mph and 12mpg if 70mph. Range is 300 miles.
Allen
Old 03-29-2022, 09:23 PM   #34

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
I'm right at 10mpg in a 2020 Four Winds 31y (Ford V10). Average about 8,000 miles a year in camper.
This is on level ground (FLA, SC/NC/GA coast). In the SC/NC mountains it drops considerably. If I drive much over 68-70, drops 1-2 mpg.
I also drive slow, accelerate slow, take turns slow, and when possible, coast a lot.
For reference, I drive a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 and average 21mpg.
It's not about the money, I like the challenge to see how high I can get it!
I once towed a 8,000 pound TT an hour on backroads to a campground and, after starting from a stop, never got the truck out of eco mode (4 cylinders).
Old 04-01-2022, 04:44 AM   #35

Model: Delano 24RW
THOR #25563
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbob View Post
I have a Freedom Elite 24fe on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Best conditions: I get around +/-14mpg.
Our Delano Sprinter has seen 15 + on a trip, but I'm pretty sure we had a West Texas tailwind. Usually we hover right around 14. I drive fast, so I'm sure it could be better. Delano/Tiburon are narrow and have a very aerodynamic seamless cap, with very little overhang. The "hump" allows the bunk to be moved back for less overhang and also improves wind resistance as it shelters all the bumpy stuff on top.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:13 AM   #36

Model: Delano 24RW
THOR #25563
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy18pa View Post
Mpg no way. Maybe if it's on the Mercedes chassis. Then you pay double for it and we'll over $4 a gal for fuel. I had a24 ft class c and because of ride it came apart at seamms.
Not quite double and we came from a 2013 Leprechaun 31 ft paid about 85 on 110 list. The ride was awful and the E450 v10 was def single digit. Not a comfortable travel, and twitchy as heck. You'd be exhausted from all the concentration and work to keep it in the lane.

The 2022 Delano was about 160 on a 180 list (has jacks and diesel genny) so double if you mean 2013 prices sure. But I think maybe subtract 10k or so allowing for inflation.
But man oh man it's night and day driving the Merc. Very comfortable and stays in it's lane like a car. Gusty crosswinds have to be pretty bad to upset it.

And the Mercedes dealership treated us like any other Mercedes owner. Turns out the cabin microphone and harness were missing, maybe factory issue, maybe Thor did it, but I got no hassle. They maybe spent a little too long with the diagnostics before they finally checked and found it missing, but that waiting room is NICE. Free coffee tea and WiFi and comfortable seating.

So 13 - 15 MPG is for real, and this engine isn't really broken in good. And I think the driveablity, comfort and service are worth the extra investment.

I don't miss the Ford at all.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:15 AM   #37
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I expect smaller and lighter Gemini 23TW with a 3.5L EcoBoost V6 should provide much better fuel economy than larger Class C motorhomes with 7.3L V8, but doubt it would get 15 to 18 MPG if driven at normal highway speeds. Maybe if driver hypermiles.

I was referring to Mercedes Sprinter Chateau or Four Winds 24 BL because diesels are generally thought to get as much as 20 to 40 percent higher MPG than equivalent gasoline engines, so 15 ~ 18 MPG might be realistic provided motorhome is small enough and driven reasonably.
You will also pay much more for a Mercedes Diesel. Unless you plan on driving it many, many (like 200,000) miles, you usually you don't recoup the extra layout. Plus Mercedes are expensive to maintain. So with a gasser, you pay over time, with a diesel, you pay up front, and then on and on. Oh, and you also have to deal with DEF. There are other factors you have to take into consideration, like how long your going to keep it. Are you going to put on many miles over time (diesels engines last longer than gas) or just going to do short runs.
Your choice.

Here is an article explaining the big debate.
https://rvlife.com/gas-vs-diesel-rvs/
Old 04-01-2022, 12:13 PM   #38

Model: 24fe
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20046
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtcg View Post
Our Delano Sprinter has seen 15 + on a trip, but I'm pretty sure we had a West Texas tailwind. Usually we hover right around 14. I drive fast, so I'm sure it could be better. Delano/Tiburon are narrow and have a very aerodynamic seamless cap, with very little overhang. The "hump" allows the bunk to be moved back for less overhang and also improves wind resistance as it shelters all the bumpy stuff on top.
What a lot of people forget about is the weight that owners have added to the vehicle and how it affects fuel mileage. Obviously, the Sprinter chassis is weight restricted - compared to the Class C Ford 350 and 450 chassis. Yet, my experience has shown that many people with the Sprinter chassis are overloading their RV. There are some models on the market that have a weight limit of less than 500 lbs and the weight of just the two passengers can use up most of that. Note:The weight carrying capacity of the 24fe is just over 1,000 lbs.

I have recently added the weight of Big Foot levelers to my RV and, on the 700 mile trip back from their factory in Michigan, I noticed a decrease by about 1/2 mpg. I have now removed the stabilizers from the rear, removed the overhead bunk insert and ladder, and emptied all storage compartments and cabinets to inventory and remove those items that were not essential. Also, I carry just enough water for emergency use. Obviously, this will not work for people looking to boondock. Conversely, One of the first items I added to my RV is the weight of a spare tire and carrier which decreases my weight carrying capacity even more. Remember: Less weight and speed = more mpg regardless of make or model and operating under the factory weight rating = safety.

As of yesterday, diesel was selling for $5.30 per gallon in my area. That is certainly an incentive to drive with fuel economy in mind.

Lastly, my RV is currently at the Mercedes Service Center having the catalytic converter replaced. It was stolen while parked in what most people would describe as a secure storage site. Total cost of the repair, with the tow (Mercedes told me not to drive it), is just under $2,600.00. I'm still not sure what I can do to prevent a repeat.
Old 04-01-2022, 12:41 PM   #39
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbob View Post
What a lot of people forget about is the weight that owners have added to the vehicle and how it affects fuel mileage. Obviously, the Sprinter chassis is weight restricted - compared to the Class C Ford 350 and 450 chassis. Yet, my experience has shown that many people with the Sprinter chassis are overloading their RV. There are some models on the market that have a weight limit of less than 500 lbs and the weight of just the two passengers can use up most of that. Note:The weight carrying capacity of the 24fe is just over 1,000 lbs.

I have recently added the weight of Big Foot levelers to my RV and, on the 700 mile trip back from their factory in Michigan, I noticed a decrease by about 1/2 mpg. I have now removed the stabilizers from the rear, removed the overhead bunk insert and ladder, and emptied all storage compartments and cabinets to inventory and remove those items that were not essential. Also, I carry just enough water for emergency use. Obviously, this will not work for people looking to boondock. Conversely, One of the first items I added to my RV is the weight of a spare tire and carrier which decreases my weight carrying capacity even more. Remember: Less weight and speed = more mpg regardless of make or model and operating under the factory weight rating = safety.

As of yesterday, diesel was selling for $5.30 per gallon in my area. That is certainly an incentive to drive with fuel economy in mind.

Lastly, my RV is currently at the Mercedes Service Center having the catalytic converter replaced. It was stolen while parked in what most people would describe as a secure storage site. Total cost of $2,600.00. I'm still not sure what I can do to prevent a repeat.
How about a motion sensor alarm. Something like this may help, especially if they have to jack up the vehicle somewhat.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Se...ve&sr=1-3&th=1
Old 04-01-2022, 12:53 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Get an RV on an MB Sprinter chassis.
Our 25' Tiffin gets 16 mpg when not towing, and 13 mpg when is is...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote