Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2024, 06:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Dakota
THOR #31844
Looking for RV Insurance

Hello all.

I have a 2016 Thor Outlaw and I am looking for insurance.
Is it better to add to existing auto policy or go with a national company that specializes in RVs?

Thanks for your help,
Bill

Old 03-01-2024, 06:13 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Ours is insured along with our other vehicles with the lizard.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Most companies I dealt with did not include an RV on an Autobpolicy but wrote a separate policy for the RV.

My current is Progressive for both RV and Auto (separate policies) and they are cheaper than anyone I’ve found.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Same with us as far as Progressive being the cheapest. Last time we had a thread the answer was overwhelmingly Progressive .

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 09:23 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
If you’re doing a lot of road warrior traveling make sure you add 100%, no deductible windshield/glass coverage to Progressive.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:30 PM   #6

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Bill View Post
Hello all.

Is it better to add to existing auto policy or go with a national company that specializes in RVs?

Thanks for your help,
Bill
We went through USAA and Progressive was the company. Have not needed to use it thankfully. $1400 for our 2021 Aria
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:19 PM   #7

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Hello all.

Thanks for your help,
Bill
Maine Mutual would not touch, so I went with Progressive as 16Ace27 and others did. Best price.
Always shop around anyway. I did not get the glass coverage, but might add. It's $1000 for a new windscreen for a Promaster.
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:27 PM   #8

Model: 23H
THOR #9717
I use the lizard as well. Very affordable, includes emergency RV roadside assistance too.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:56 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Ours is insured along with our other vehicles with the lizard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunUCF View Post
I use the lizard as well. Very affordable, includes emergency RV roadside assistance too.
We had the lizard for all our vehicles, boats, travel trailer, and house (when they insured houses) for 20+ years. In 2024 we had a 150 year rain event that caused our yard to flood. It flooded our travel trailer and a 2 week old Nissan Frontier pickup. It was like pulling teeth to get a fair settlement out of the lizard. After that experience we moved on to State Farm which saved us hundreds of dollars over the lizard (and State Farm ain't cheap - just look what they spend on commercials). When we got the MH we got a quote from SF to add it to our policy and it was ridiculously high.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:11 AM   #10

THOR #31844
From the responses I will be checking Progressive's quote.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:45 AM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
We had the lizard for all our vehicles, boats, travel trailer, and house (when they insured houses) for 20+ years. In 2024 we had a 150 year rain event that caused our yard to flood. It flooded our travel trailer and a 2 week old Nissan Frontier pickup. It was like pulling teeth to get a fair settlement out of the lizard. After that experience we moved on to State Farm which saved us hundreds of dollars over the lizard (and State Farm ain't cheap - just look what they spend on commercials). When we got the MH we got a quote from SF to add it to our policy and it was ridiculously high.
Over the years we have had Farm Bureaucracy, Good Hands, Stately Farms, The HartFord and a couple of oddball insurers when were young and just scraping by. Every year or so we get quotes to see if we can do better. So far, we haven't done better than the lizard even after our G Son totaled a 6 week-old car they paid out for.
Gotta go with what works for you.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 02:17 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I have had Progressive since Day 1 separate from Autos, but I have Progressive for Boat & Motorcycles. I forget we are Silver or Platinum with Progressive.

They have replaced our cracked windshield twice, the second time they went with OEM Glass. They paid to have RV towed so a flat could be repaired off road at a safer location must; have been $1,700 total for tow and tire repair. They put my new tire on wheel that had the blow out.

If you have Good Sam, let them quote Progressive for you, it will likely be cheaper than what you get direct with Progressive. You will need a Good Sam membership but it more than pays for itself.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 03:19 AM   #13

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
From the responses I will be checking Progressive's quote.
I also have AAA premiere RV+ as well, but you have to have been a member for a bit to qulaify. Has towing and road service included for both my car and RV.
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 04:41 AM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark54 View Post
I also have AAA premiere RV+ as well, but you have to have been a member for a bit to qulaify. Has towing and road service included for both my car and RV.
Call AAA and ask about their ability to tow a motorhome in all states. I did and they can’t. We now have CoachNet. Luckily, 2 years ago, this tow was covered under our Freightliner warranty but the bill was 800 dollars for 35 miles. AAA did not have a contractor in the area capable of towing a Motorhome. Their solution was to pay someone up front and then submit for reimbursement at their standard negotiated rate and we would be responsible for anything over that rate.

Make the call and ask the right questions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3789.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	45353
Old 03-03-2024, 12:56 AM   #15

THOR #31844
I do have Good Sam, will check that out.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:00 AM   #16
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I do have Good Sam, will check that out.
Maybe they changed. or maybe it's a regional thing, but when we first bought our MH we went with Good Sam and it was actually National General. They were good for several years but then got ridiculous with their price increases so we changed to Progressive online. Insured the toad with them as well..
Old 03-03-2024, 05:27 AM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Maybe they changed. or maybe it's a regional thing, but when we first bought our MH we went with Good Sam and it was actually National General. They were good for several years but then got ridiculous with their price increases so we changed to Progressive online. Insured the toad with them as well..
Remember I actually bought in Florida. But as I recall, I had to buy insurance BEFORE we made the trip, just in case we bought the RV. I don't think I had Good Sams then. Everyone I had quote was pricey in my book (new RV owner / purchase I suspect?). I ended up buying a Geico policy just to have something. When I bought, I believe I got a free Good Sam account. They had all kinds of crap in the dealer package and stuff in our mailbox at home by the time we made it home.

Somehow while on the phone with Good Sams Insurance quoting, I mentioned Progressive, I already had Gold Progressive with boat, & motorcycles. They connected to my existing Progressive accounts and it was half the price of Geico I have been with them every since. Every so often at renewal, I check direct with Progressive; they can't come close to the additional Good Sams discount I get. Progressive direct can see and know I have the Good Sams membership. Good Sams Insurance is the ONLY reason I have kept renewing with Good Sams as it has been VERY USELESS to us otherwise. It is also why I am constantly complaining because of the Good Sams free money coupons that I get every year to use at a CW. It can cost me $70 of my real money to use a $50 coupon they give me, and hours on end trying to find something I may need of value.

FWIW, I have never heard of National General, but I have been told by some, I need to get out more
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 03-03-2024, 07:07 AM   #18

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
The REAL test of any insurance is how well it works when you NEED TO USE IT.

Just like a shiny new motorhome, it looks great sitting there new on the sales lot. You got the BEST deal.

Now you're stuck in the middle of nowhere posting on an RV forum for help.
Old 03-03-2024, 03:15 PM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
The REAL test of any insurance is how well it works when you NEED TO USE IT.

Just like a shiny new motorhome, it looks great sitting there new on the sales lot. You got the BEST deal.

Now you're stuck in the middle of nowhere posting on an RV forum for help.
One thing I will say, I swear by Progressive, but when it comes to glass and our 1st windshield it was a nightmare. About 18 months from beginning to end. At the time Progressive contracted with Duncan systems ( Lippert), Duncan contracted with Coach Glass, Coach Glass contracted with some random local dealer that they leave the responsibility of selecting to the owner as they have the info or options to select an installer. You have to assume the reference they provide are legit. Coach Glass was cheap, they would NOT use OEM glass unless I paid a premium of $1,500, but my insurance was for 100% coverage and no deductible. So I let them do what they do.

To be brief the Installer screwed up the install. If was half arse job, It took a long time, but I eventually got Progressive's to over rule them all, they may have spent and additional $5,000 to fixed issues caused by original installer. It was so bad WBGO Dealers would not touch it. They eventually another Installer to fix that I found. They paid Installer directly it was fixed and it was very nice. Last year we had another rock hit the glass When I called Progressive this time Duncan was out!!!!! I am sure my case was in part of consideration that Duncan Systems / Coach Glass & Local Installer was incompetent (not the Insurance company).

Progressive now contracts with Safelite RV Glass, who contracts with their network of installers. Turns out the Glass company that came to the rescue to fix the previous issues 2 years before was on Safelite RV Glass network. Saftelite provided me the OEM Windshield and the install was done in 2 weeks. Of course Safelite RV Glass knowing my history may have made me a priority? Night and day difference in results. It all looks brand new and you can't tell I am actually on 3rd windshield. Premium has NOT increased much since 4 years ago.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:36 PM   #20

Model: Ace 30.4
State: Alabama
THOR #15477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I have had Progressive since Day 1 separate from Autos, but I have Progressive for Boat & Motorcycles. I forget we are Silver or Platinum with Progressive.

They have replaced our cracked windshield twice, the second time they went with OEM Glass. They paid to have RV towed so a flat could be repaired off road at a safer location must; have been $1,700 total for tow and tire repair. They put my new tire on wheel that had the blow out.

If you have Good Sam, let them quote Progressive for you, it will likely be cheaper than what you get direct with Progressive. You will need a Good Sam membership but it more than pays for itself.
Hi!
I was just wondering about with a Good Sam membership. I think I will check today. We have State Farm and feel like we’re buying the Farm. State Farm lets us start and stop collision when we take our ACE on a trip. Otherwise we pay monthly just comprehensive. Does Progressive with Good Sam do that?