Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2020, 01:42 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Louisiana
THOR #20461
Help me pick the right RV

I am considering purchasing a small RV and I need help choosing the right one. I have not been able to find the answer to these questions on most websites so I'm coming here for help.

First: I'm single and 6'4. I don't need a lot of space but I like headroom. I want a fairly easily maneuverable RV - the biggest that I have seen and would feel comfortable with is the Thor Axis. My first consideration was a truck camper as I was surprised at how tall they are once you get inside, and they seem to have plenty of room for just me. However, I plan on a significant amount of boondocking, and it seems that these all have propane generators and that doesn't seem very efficient for boondocking. I am looking for something that is gas or diesel and runs off of a large tank, ideally. This is where i have trouble finding out RV capabilities. For instance, the axis that I looked at as well as all these 22 foot freedom elites (or other relatively small class C) all will tout something like "4000 watt onan gas generator," but say nothing about what that is connected to. Is it connected to a 10 gallon tank? is it connected to the vehicles main tank? What is the capacity on these? I can't seem to find this information.

Please let me know if you have suggestions on a good RV for me. I additionally want some capability to run around 400 watts of solar, as that seems a pretty popular amount for charging batteries and running phones/computers.

Thank you all for your input.

Old 09-10-2020, 01:58 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
First off, welcome to the forum.

The generator on an Axis or a class c such as a Freedom Elite uses the same fuel source as the motorhome itself. The generators fuel pickup however is located in the tank in such a way that the generator will not run if the fuel tank is below approx 1/4. This is so you don't run the coach out of gas by simply running the generator.

As a note, a 4000KW generator will use approx 1/2 gallon per hour running at half load.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:13 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum

Have you looked at the Mercedes Benz Chassis Class C motor Homes. I have a 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS. It has 2 slide outs. It runs on diesel and I have the optional 3200 Diesel generator that runs off of the vehicle fuel tank. I have (2) solar panels on the roof to keep the house batteries charged. I don't do much boon docking with it. It drives like a large van and is easy to go into any National Park or campsite. It has enough power to climb with the torque that it produces. The vehicle holds 26 gallons of fuel and is currently getting 13-15 mpg depending if I keep it down around 65. The front seats provide ample leg room.

Paul
Old 09-10-2020, 02:47 AM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #2121
I’ll second what Dave said, and will add that the Axis or small Class Cs on Ford E-Series chassis all have the same size fuel tank of 55 gallons. Therefore, you’ll be able to use “about” 40 gallons for generator if starting out with full tank.

The 4,000-Watt Onan should use a little less than 0.5 gallons per hour while running air conditioner, so can run up to 80 hours at half load. If you’re not going to power air conditioner a significant amount while boondocking, it’s likely you won’t run generator more than an hour or two daily to power microwave and charge batteries. You could boondock for many days on a full tank of gas as long as air conditioner is not required.

Solar will reduce generator run time but it’s unlikely you’ll stay out much longer because you’ll run out of water, food, or other supplies before you run out of gas — provided you don’t need air conditioning. A/C affects a lot of conditions when it comes to camping power requirements.

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide to buy.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:18 AM   #5

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
You mention head room, but what about bed size? Are you aware that most smaller (and cheaper) RVs have beds that are shorter than the equivalent residential size? For example, many RV queen and king beds are 74" long instead of 80". If the published information just says queen or king and doesn't specify the dimensions, then there's a good chance that it is a shorter bed. I didn't have much success with salespeople knowing the length, either, so I carried a tape measure with me while shopping.

If you're never slept on a short bed, I recommend trying that before buying an RV with one.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
You mention head room, but what about bed size? Are you aware that most smaller (and cheaper) RVs have beds that are shorter than the equivalent residential size? For example, many RV queen and king beds are 74" long instead of 80". If the published information just says queen or king and doesn't specify the dimensions, then there's a good chance that it is a shorter bed. I didn't have much success with salespeople knowing the length, either, so I carried a tape measure with me while shopping.

If you're never slept on a short bed, I recommend trying that before buying an RV with one.
Axis 24.1 beds are 38x74 but you can convert both into a gigantic king 82ishx74 bed and sleep diagonally if its just 1 person.

Most Thor floorplans on their website list the bed sizes.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
You mentioned you are 6'4". Your comfort and satisfaction with what ever your choice will depend on the sleeping arrangement. Many RV's in the size you are considering have miserable excuses for a bed. Too short, difficult to get in and out of, and just plain uncomfortable. If it's some sort of a fold up type, I'd not consider it and never even think about the fixed rear quarter birth, it's an abomination. Try to stay with a full standard size like a queen and even at that, plan on tossing out the factory mattress and getting a good one.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:00 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Shopping is fun: ain't it?
Welcome to our band of Happy Campers!
With all all of that height you bring to this exercise: bed length should be an important issue to consider.
If you'll be doing a lot of boondocking: check for dual coach batteries, a three-way 'fridge, and the possibility of adding solar panels to help charge those batteries.
Happy shopping, and good luck!
Old 09-18-2020, 01:00 PM   #9

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
THOR #17456
Thor Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingkennedy View Post
I am considering purchasing a small RV and I need help choosing the right one. I have not been able to find the answer to these questions on most websites so I'm coming here for help.

First: I'm single and 6'4. I don't need a lot of space but I like headroom. I want a fairly easily maneuverable RV - the biggest that I have seen and would feel comfortable with is the Thor Axis. My first consideration was a truck camper as I was surprised at how tall they are once you get inside, and they seem to have plenty of room for just me. However, I plan on a significant amount of boondocking, and it seems that these all have propane generators and that doesn't seem very efficient for boondocking. I am looking for something that is gas or diesel and runs off of a large tank, ideally. This is where i have trouble finding out RV capabilities. For instance, the axis that I looked at as well as all these 22 foot freedom elites (or other relatively small class C) all will tout something like "4000 watt onan gas generator," but say nothing about what that is connected to. Is it connected to a 10 gallon tank? is it connected to the vehicles main tank? What is the capacity on these? I can't seem to find this information.

Please let me know if you have suggestions on a good RV for me. I additionally want some capability to run around 400 watts of solar, as that seems a pretty popular amount for charging batteries and running phones/computers.

I am your height and bought a Thor Vegas 24.1 for several reasons:

--Price was reasonable for the value received. It's hard to beat in the 25 foot class.
--Flexibility of beds. I sleep with my head toward the front and my feet slightly angled toward the center cushion. I find it comfortable. You could certainly fit very well sleeping crosswise.
--Overall size and maneuverability. The Vegas is easy to drive and park.
--Lots of exterior storage, probably the best in its size class. And, it does fill up in time!

Plan on:

--Adding a lot more heat/sound insulation in the cab area, especially the engine cowl. you can live with it as delivered, but the additions make it much more enjoyable.
--Add a tire pressure monitor.
--A better GPS system.
--Changing out the miserably uncomfortable sofa for recliners.
--Living with the small shower.
--Replacing the steering dampener with a better one or a stabilizer. And, maybe adding other suspension upgrades based on your own preferences.

Most of the above changes apply to many motorhomes.

I suggest reading all of the other posts about modifications. Some are important and some are personal preferences.

Would I buy a Vegas/Axis 24.1 again? After owning it, it would still be high on my list. I would also look at slightly larger, slightly more expensive motorhomes such as the Forest River FR3 30DS.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2020, 06:47 PM   #10

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:

You are doing your homework and that's good. Tons of newbie groups and facebook pages you might want to look at where people are having the same questions as you. GOod luck.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #11

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:

I had the Ford 450 chassis for a year and hated it. The motorhome wandered all over road. The steering was like a 1970 Ford econoline van. It felt like the wheels were connected to the steering wheel with slack ropes. When a semi or large truck would come from behind it would push the back end over and when it passed the front it would push that over. All day corrective steering. I now have the The F-53 motorhome chassis and it is much better there no effect from trucks passing you. Many people spend tons of money getting the 450 chassis to handle right. The bed size like they say makes a difference we have a king bed and even though it is not a real king my 6 foot 2 inch body fits with room to spare. Bedrooms without slide out are very tight with no room to make a bed or get into it. Our old 450 chassis a person had to climb into the bed from the middle because of raised platforms where the storage area is below. I would rather get into bed easily and lose a few feet of storage. I would recommend a porcelain toilet for a big guy like us and the seat area is much larger and a better flush. If yours has slide out make sure they are good ones. My last motorhome the bottom pulled away first then the top. The Thor has tracks top and bottom and mine are very smooth. Make sure the shower is large enough for you and tall enough. Mine is large with a curved door for room to move around. I have pressure sensors on the tires and I notice the Tires on the Ford 450 got much hotter and the pressure in the tires went up much faster than the F53 chassis with the larger tires. I would get slide outs in the rear or drivers side so it doesn't interfere with your awning in the front. There is a big difference in the size of the slideouts my 450 slide outs felt like they only went out a foot or a little more. Some others are around three feet that will give you much more room inside. A 50 amp RV can run much more than a 30 amp because a 30 amp only has one hot leg where a 50 amp has two 50 amp hot legs but it doesn't use 220 except in very large coaches with dryers. Just remember the class Bs are very small and them might be good right now next year you might say why didn't I get something that has room, like in the 60s we always wished we had the bigger engine, I always loved passing a car on a two lane road back then looking down at the speedometer doing 130, I wish the motorhome would do that
Old 09-23-2020, 09:11 PM   #12

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post
I am your height and bought a Thor Vegas 24.1 for several reasons:

--Price was reasonable for the value received. It's hard to beat in the 25 foot class.
--Flexibility of beds. I sleep with my head toward the front and my feet slightly angled toward the center cushion. I find it comfortable. You could certainly fit very well sleeping crosswise.
--Overall size and maneuverability. The Vegas is easy to drive and park.
--Lots of exterior storage, probably the best in its size class. And, it does fill up in time!

Plan on:

--Adding a lot more heat/sound insulation in the cab area, especially the engine cowl. you can live with it as delivered, but the additions make it much more enjoyable.
--Add a tire pressure monitor.
--A better GPS system.
--Changing out the miserably uncomfortable sofa for recliners.
--Living with the small shower.
--Replacing the steering dampener with a better one or a stabilizer. And, maybe adding other suspension upgrades based on your own preferences.

Most of the above changes apply to many motorhomes.

I suggest reading all of the other posts about modifications. Some are important and some are personal preferences.

Would I buy a Vegas/Axis 24.1 again? After owning it, it would still be high on my list. I would also look at slightly larger, slightly more expensive motorhomes such as the Forest River FR3 30DS.

Good luck!
You know the FR3 was high on our list to buy but we didn't. Funny thing is, as good as it looks...and it's the same as the Windsport, Hurricane and all those of the same size on an F53 chassis, in all our travels...both on the road and in campgrounds all over the east coast, I have only ever seen 3 of them in the past 18 months. Don't know what happened but seems like they didn't sell well. I asked a Forest River owner about this once and he said he has never seen more than one or two and he goes to the FR rallies. ???????
Old 09-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #13

THOR #15069
What to look for.

I am 6'4" also. One of the things you should look at is shower size. A few inches either way can make a big difference. Make sure sure you get into the shower and swing your elbows around. I have the 25 ft Thor Gemini Mercedes diesel also but have been having problems with the wheel speed sensors which are a real issue with the Mercedes. I would look for forward collision warning, lane keep assist etc. Also dual coach batteries at least, upgraded 15,000 btu A/C with heat pump, instant hot water, swivel cockpit seats, induction stovetop, solar, inverter, 3 way fridge, awning with wind sensor, heated holding tanks, propane outlet, somewhere to put a spare tire, lots of outside/inside storage which can vary greatly.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:06 PM   #14

Brand: Jayco
State: New Jersey
THOR #19560
The disadvantage of making up the King Sized bed in the Vegas is you have to climb over it to get to the bathroom! The street side bed is longer than the Driver's side by a few inches, as I remember it. (the coach is gone).
Old 09-24-2020, 12:34 AM   #15

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I bought a spare tire hitch mount carrier and relocated the rear license to the ladder. My MB Chassis Thor Siesta 24SS came with the Mobileye system which alerts if you drift out of your lane and alerts to vehicles in front of you that stop suddenly. You set the distance between you and the vehicle in front. Mine also came with a 100 watt solar coach battery charging system for the two coach batteries. The awning came with a wind sensor to retract automatically if too windy. The driver and passenger seats swivel completely around plus I have a single induction cooktop. My holding tanks have heating pads and I have the endless hot water heater. Lots of pluses for a smaller coach.

Paul
Old 09-24-2020, 12:43 AM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
What Paul said...
If you can find the right-sized bed in a Sprinter: there's a whole lot to love about them!
Old 09-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #17

Model: 2018 Windsport 31Z
State: South Carolina
THOR #15622
Finding the best motor coach for you.

LIVINGKENNEDY:
If you like, you can contact me off line at dgcoleman@bellsouth.net and we can discuss what I went through for over a year etc. I would do it here but it would be a book.
Dan