Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2021, 04:28 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: New York
THOR #24440
MH ease of driving for 72 year old mother?

I am a first time RV'er looking to purchase a motorhome for my family to use during the summer months, and for my retired mother to use during the winter. My use case would be going to horse shows and races (our hobbies) as well as vacations to state parks, campgrounds, etc. Her use case would be driving from Western NY down to Florida to her second home by herself, and then short trips around Florida over the winter with friends.

Right now we are looking at a number of options, everything from a Mercedes based small C, to a midsize e-450 based C, to some of the small to mid range 30ish foot gas As, and even some older smaller end DPs.

All these options will function for the base use case, but are obviously very different. The e450 Cs will allow me to tow more. The Sprinters are really maneuverable, the As have the most room, etc.

My biggest question is, what are they like to drive? I am used to big trucks and rigs (our gooseneck horse trailer, etc) but my Mother is not. We rented a small cruise america C she got to drive for a bit, and did fine, but otherwise this would all be new to her. She is a very good car driver, but did have some issues when she had a boat recently (grounded the propeller a couple times, had trouble docking, etc) Just how difficult are these to manage for a retired 72 year old driving alone?

I know the sprinters are most maneuverable and most car like, with the short wheelbase, small turning radius, etc. How does that really compare to a 27ish foot C for driving down the highway comfortably? How much harder are they really? Then same for the A's, are the A's harder than the Cs or easier? How much harder are they than the Sprinters?

I know this is a pretty wide open question, but I am looking for what people have experienced with different styles, and how difficult they really are to drive relative to each other.

Thanks everyone!

Old 08-05-2021, 05:15 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!
For ease of driving: Nothing beats a Sprinter-based rig!
My Missus says it feels like a driving a large van: no worries!
We had a Class C based on an E-450 chassis, and she couldn't drive that one. 30 feet long was just a bit too much for her...
The difference was in the wheelbase. (170", versus 209")
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I agree with Bob.... a Sprinter-based chassis would be the way to go. When you put a motorhome 25' or longer on an E-Series chassis, it is not going to handle and ride very well without modification to the suspension.

She also isn't going to be getting any younger so a small Class C on someting like a Sprinter chassis would give her more longevity.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:37 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I also would agree but add that some of the small C's/B's on the Transit chassis are also as able as the Sprinters and cost less.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:29 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Sounds like two different needs to me. Get yourself a class A or C for your towing needs. Mom can drive down to Florida and rent a class B when she needs to.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
This is going to require trade-offs and a lot of personal preference. My wife is the outdoor type... loves riding the lawn tractor. But our E-350 class C, only 25' nose to tail, is not her favorite drive. I have no problems at all. Your mother may be different.

We like a bigger living space with a bigger shower. We also flat tow a Jeep, which may not be needed with a van.

This is something she's just going to have to drive and see what she likes. Larger = more creature comforts, but harder to maneuver. Smaller = less living space, but easier to maneuver.

There are full timers that make do in #vanlife... but that's not our style. There are people who take their whole life with them in 40'+ diesel pushers. That's not us either!

Each person must find what fits their travel style and maneuvering comfort level. NO ONE can tell you that... you must try different RVs on for size.

Sorry there is just no simple answer... or every RV would be the exact same size and features!!
Old 08-05-2021, 07:23 PM   #7

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post

.....cut....

There are full timers that make do in #vanlife... but that's not our style. There are people who take their whole life with them in 40'+ diesel pushers. That's not us either!

Each person must find what fits their travel style and maneuvering comfort level. NO ONE can tell you that... you must try different RVs on for size.

Sorry there is just no simple answer... or every RV would be the exact same size and features!!
Agree 100% with above, and will add that once you “think” you know what size is right, find one to rent and give it an extended test drive.

We have rented different types of RVs over the years in addition to what we have owned, and the things we did not like about each was far more important than the things we liked about them. It’s hard for us to ignore “deal breakers” even if we like other features.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #8

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThothTP View Post
I am a first time RV'er looking to purchase a motorhome for my family to use during the summer months, and for my retired mother to use during the winter. My use case would be going to horse shows and races (our hobbies) as well as vacations to state parks, campgrounds, etc. Her use case would be driving from Western NY down to Florida to her second home by herself, and then short trips around Florida over the winter with friends.

Right now we are looking at a number of options, everything from a Mercedes based small C, to a midsize e-450 based C, to some of the small to mid range 30ish foot gas As, and even some older smaller end DPs.

All these options will function for the base use case, but are obviously very different. The e450 Cs will allow me to tow more. The Sprinters are really maneuverable, the As have the most room, etc.

My biggest question is, what are they like to drive? I am used to big trucks and rigs (our gooseneck horse trailer, etc) but my Mother is not. We rented a small cruise america C she got to drive for a bit, and did fine, but otherwise this would all be new to her. She is a very good car driver, but did have some issues when she had a boat recently (grounded the propeller a couple times, had trouble docking, etc) Just how difficult are these to manage for a retired 72 year old driving alone?

I know the sprinters are most maneuverable and most car like, with the short wheelbase, small turning radius, etc. How does that really compare to a 27ish foot C for driving down the highway comfortably? How much harder are they really? Then same for the A's, are the A's harder than the Cs or easier? How much harder are they than the Sprinters?

I know this is a pretty wide open question, but I am looking for what people have experienced with different styles, and how difficult they really are to drive relative to each other.

Thanks everyone!
You can always go to an rvshare or outdoorsy and rent what ever you are thinking of and have your mum drive them around. I see lots of mature women driving Class As.You all might be surprised. Good Luck
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:42 PM   #9

THOR #24440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Welcome to the Forum!
For ease of driving: Nothing beats a Sprinter-based rig!
My Missus says it feels like a driving a large van: no worries!
We had a Class C based on an E-450 chassis, and she couldn't drive that one. 30 feet long was just a bit too much for her...
The difference was in the wheelbase. (170", versus 209")
This is the kind of anecdote I was looking for, just how different are the different types to drive? You say your Wife wouldn't drive the class C, what was it about it that she didn't like? The length for maneuvering? The highway manners? Both? Just how different were they?
Old 08-05-2021, 10:19 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
It was the overall width, length, and wheelbase; that intimidated her.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:19 PM   #11

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It was the overall width, length, and wheelbase; that intimidated her.
So everything
Old 08-06-2021, 08:57 PM   #12

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Were in our mid 70's and have no issues driving the Tuscany towing through the Rockies or anywhere for that matter. Were a bit over 75 feet long so you have to pay attention when turning or stopping

It is what you get used to and our past life hauling cattle on the ranch might have prepped us a bit
Old 08-06-2021, 09:36 PM   #13

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Anyone, can drive any of them.
The question is
Can she handle the slinky, the water hose, diagnose the fridge and put on a wiper blade that flies off?

Rv Driving is easy. Rv life...not so much.

Don't fool yourself. Fooling yourself is why/how we see members here quitting at the two month mark. 1,000 miles and they can't do the chores so they sell.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:59 PM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
My wife drove the 24' class C on the Chevy chassis. She won't drive the 29' class A ACE. The extra height, width and towing the Jeep have scared her off driving the ACE
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:12 AM   #15

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
"Can she handle the slinky, the water hose, diagnose the fridge and put on a wiper blade that flies off?"

Heck Yeah She Can!!! I just grill!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200627_145349.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	32614   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200627_150618.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	32615  

Old 08-07-2021, 12:42 AM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
My wife (Melinda) rarely drove our half-ton Silverado because it was "so big".
In 2004 she had a Nissan Frontier PU that she loved but it got wiped out by hurricane flooding. Last year I bought her the Colorado PU which she also loves. Thing is: (and don't tell her this) it is only slightly smaller than our 2008 Silverado was.
It's all a matter of mental attitude.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:44 AM   #17

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
"Can she handle the slinky, the water hose, diagnose the fridge and put on a wiper blade that flies off?"

Heck Yeah She Can!!! I just grill!
When I was just a kid in 1973, I got to drive a new Winnebago. I remember at the time it was like driving a house... but THIS adds a whole different dimension to driving a house!!
Old 08-11-2021, 07:48 PM   #18

Model: Citation SR24
THOR #13811
Quote:

Thanks everyone!
I traded an older (2004) 29’ class C Ford E450 chassis for 24’ Sprinter. No comparison hands down. The Sprinter is much, much more maneuverable and easier to drive. It has equal or more power for normal driving and gets 13 mpg. Towing may be another story but I don’t do that. Sounds like you won’t either. It’s very easy to back up and park. My wife rarely doesn’t even need to guide me in the space anymore. If your mother can drive a pickup, then she could drive a sprinter. My wife wouldn’t even sit in the driver seat of the Ford, now she asks to drive! Hope this helps….
Old 08-11-2021, 10:32 PM   #19

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #18055
Im 60

Hi, although I haven't driven a sprinter van, I do drive a 25 foot class C. Easy drive! If your mother is a decent driver im sure she won't have problems. Go to a dealer and sit in them, take it for a spin. See what she's comfortable with.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:25 AM   #20

Model: 23TB
State: Illinois
THOR #9509
Quote:

Thanks everyone!
I am a 71 year old recent “RVer” who never drove any thing bigger than a station wagon. My first motorhome was a 30 ft class C. It was too long, too wide and too tall. I sold it and purchased a 23 ft class C (Thor Compass) and love it. The difference in size made a world of difference in handling. I hope that this helps. PS- my odometer just rolled over 53,000 miles.