Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2021, 02:23 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kansas
THOR #12311
Mileage tax

What’s eveybodys opinion on the mileage tax? I’ve read it could be up to .25 cents a mile on a class A. What about TT?

Old 10-01-2021, 02:28 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjatoto View Post
What’s eveybodys opinion on the mileage tax? I’ve read it could be up to .25 cents a mile on a class A. What about TT?
The mileage tax – sometimes referred to as a Vehicle-miles Traveled (VMT) tax – is being proposed in various states. I doubt it would be warmly received in TX.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:31 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
I ALREADY pay a "mileage tax"... it's called getting shi**y gas mileage!
Old 10-01-2021, 03:01 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
We already have a mileage tax. We pay it at the pump. MH's definitely pay a higher rate by virtue of less miles per gallon. I don't see any reason to change or modify the current method of funding highways.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:15 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The "mileage tax" rumor/threat has been around for years. I don't know of any entity that has implemented it in the U.S.A.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:29 AM   #6

THOR #16721
Question: What would you think if the 55mph limit was to be reinstated? Deja Vu 1975...
Old 10-01-2021, 05:06 AM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If a mileage tax is imposed it should only be on EVs, the rest of us pay it at the pump every time we fuel up, EVs pay no tax wherever they plug in.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:51 AM   #8

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
If a mileage tax is imposed it should only be on EVs, the rest of us pay it at the pump every time we fuel up, EVs pay no tax wherever they plug in.
But...
If you know anyone who owns an electric vehicle, just ask, they pay a hefty surcharge to put on a license plate annually.
At least, according to my one friend in Ohio, it's because of the lost revenue at the pump, he was told.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
Ohio "solved" the payment for road maintenance by imposing an extra $100 a year registration fee for hybrids, $200 for plug-in and BEV. We have a hybrid and a plug-in hybrid (and I plan to replace my gas daily driver with a BEV when the time comes). Personally, I'd rather a mileage tax as that would be more fair/honest. The hybrid is for the kids and sits idle most of the winter. My son drives it over a hundred miles a day on days that he works during the summer, but the total miles driven per year is only around 5K. A mileage tax would account for that. Meanwhile, my wife's plug-in gets driven a lot, and with a mileage tax she would likely pay more than the $200. That's okay, because she drives a lot, making good use of those roads that need maintenance.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:02 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Look at it this way: Did you ever actually think that the government would take it's hands OUT of your pockets?
If it's not one thing: it'll be seventeen others!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:12 PM   #11

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
I'll reiterate a comment I made on another thread, if the taxes we paid on fuel were actually designated and used for road maintenance and construction, we would have great roads and bridges in this country. I'm talking federal and state taxes. Not sure about every state, check your own, but in most cases, fuel taxes go into the general fund. That fund which pays for all the politicians special projects, those special projects that they tout to get elected and become fixtures in DC or your local state capitol. It'll never change because corruption is entrenched and that's what they do best.

Oh my goodness I just realized I used the "P" word. 1000 lashes.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

An unintended consequence may be that it encourages buying larger and thirstier Class As.

For a motorhome that gets 8 MPG, you pay $2.00 extra for each gallon of gas. If you buy a 12 MPG Class A motorhome, you pay $3.00 extra for each gallon of gas.

Unless I’m missing something, taxing miles driven instead of fuel burned seems counterproductive in reducing fuel consumption and also road damage.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:17 PM   #13

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
The government will take what ever we the people let them take.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
An unintended consequence may be that it encourages buying larger and thirstier Class As.

For a motorhome that gets 8 MPG, you pay $2.00 extra for each gallon of gas. If you buy a 12 MPG Class A motorhome, you pay $3.00 extra for each gallon of gas.

Unless I’m missing something, taxing miles driven instead of fuel burned seems counterproductive in reducing fuel consumption and also road damage.
I don't think the mileage tax would replace any other tax. It would be added to existing taxes.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:35 PM   #15

THOR #16721
Plot twist: The "government" takes the EV tax and uses it to indirectly subsidize petrol - to keep prices artificially low. Ever wonder where politician's "extra paychecks" comes from? They sure aren't getting rich off that public servant check...
Old 10-01-2021, 02:35 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
I don't think the mileage tax would replace any other tax. It would be added to existing taxes.
Amen! When have they EVER done that?
They always just keep piling them on...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #17

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Florida
THOR #17449
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I'll reiterate a comment I made on another thread, if the taxes we paid on fuel were actually designated and used for road maintenance and construction, we would have great roads and bridges in this country. I'm talking federal and state taxes. Not sure about every state, check your own, but in most cases, fuel taxes go into the general fund. That fund which pays for all the politicians special projects, those special projects that they tout to get elected and become fixtures in DC or your local state capitol. It'll never change because corruption is entrenched and that's what they do best.

Couldn't of said it better.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:45 PM   #18

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post

Now HERE'S someone who's on the right trail!

I'll add that IF those CURRENT collected taxes were used for their INTENDED PURPOSE instead of paying lobbyists, the average taxpayer would do a LOT less complaining... because we would have excellent roads, clean water, clean air, affordable medical treatment, affordable state colleges...

It's important to hold the responsible parties accountable... follow the money trail, and don't shoot the messenger!
Old 10-01-2021, 04:14 PM   #19

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
AND Social Security AND Medicare the list is endless...
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #20

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
AND Social Security AND Medicare the list is endless...
And now in the current bill they will be taxing unrealized capital gains. Homes, property, stocks, anything that appreciates even if you have not sold it. Not political just something to be prepared for.

Tags
new tax