Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2024, 10:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #32280
Question Plugged in...No battery power in cab

Newbie Question: I just purchased a 2018 Four Winds 24 HL. I am parked at a friends place and plugged. Shouldn't being plugged in maintain the battery in the cab as well as the coach? I had to jump start it. Do I simply require a new battery or is there a solution that I am missing. I'd appreciate any advise. Thank you,
Sincerely,
Sandra

Old 04-09-2024, 10:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Being plugged into SP should supply 12 VDC power to your house DC loads through the converter such as lighting, water pump, thermostat, furnace, water heater and absorption fridge control power.

Your USE/STORE (Master Power) switch most be in the USE (ON) position to charge the house battery bank. The indicating LED does NOT indicate the position of this switch if plugged into SP - you must move the switch to the correct position. Once charged, your coach may or may not be setup to also charge the chassis battery.

BTW, if the house battery bank is dead, the USE/STORE (Master Power) switch will not operate.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:11 AM   #3

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra-2xs11 View Post
Newbie Question: I just purchased a 2018 Four Winds 24 HL. I am parked at a friends place and plugged. Shouldn't being plugged in maintain the battery in the cab as well as the coach? I had to jump start it. Do I simply require a new battery or is there a solution that I am missing. I'd appreciate any advise. Thank you,
Sincerely,
Sandra
Often motorhomes, especially Class C ones, do not charge the engine battery from shore power. They do however charge the house batteries from the engine alternator. Until I upgraded our motorhome to a BIRD we had to keep a battery charger on the engine battery while the motorhome was in our garage. There is usually an Emergency Start switch near the driver's position that can be pushed to connect the house batteries to the engine battery so you can start the motorhome.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 11:35 AM   #4

Model: Delano 24TT
State: Ohio
THOR #17905
Is it recommended to put a trickle chard on the chassis battery when in storage. My 2020 Sprinter battery does not receive a charge from the SP. I did keep it on a very low trickle charger but that was not successful. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:50 AM   #5

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
Is it recommended to put a trickle chard on the chassis battery when in storage. My 2020 Sprinter battery does not receive a charge from the SP. I did keep it on a very low trickle charger but that was not successful. Any help is appreciated.
The parasitic current draw on the chassis battery may be enough that a trickle charger or battery minder may not be able to provide a charge. Purchase an actual battery charger that monitors the state of the battery and produces sufficient current to overcome the load and still charge the battery.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote