Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2021, 08:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
National Parks: overcrowded…

Just in…
Wall Street Journal & other news outlets telling this summer story:

https://www.fr24news.com/a/2021/06/n...eir-doors.html

National parks are overcrowded and are closing their doors – –

June 13, 2021

MOAB, Utah — Southeast Utah is one of America’s most popular tourist destinations with two national parks and millions of undeveloped acres.
But visitors are spending more and more time sitting in their cars while waiting to access the expansive exterior.

“Wherever you go, there will be a line,” said Libby Preslock, who arrived at Arches National Park at 9 a.m. last Thursday to find it was full and signs encouraging visitors. to come back in three to five hours. She then headed to the other national park in the area, Canyonlands, where she waited about half an hour to enter.

With its natural stone arches, sandstone fins and towering red rock formations, Arches attracted around 194,000 people in April, up 15% from April 2019. It was closed in April 2020 due to the pandemic.

Arches reaches maximum capacity and closes its doors to visitors almost every day before 9 a.m., according to the park’s social media channels, which tweet in real time when the park temporarily closes because its parking lots are full. Those who can’t get in often head to Canyonlands, a traditionally less popular park more than four times the size of Arches. Canyonlands saw its own visits jump 30% in April 2021 from April 2019, to nearly 117,000. Queues to enter Canyonlands can last up to two hours during peak hours.

Nearby lands controlled by the Bureau of Land Management have seen an increase in visitors, particularly among first timers, says Nicollee Gaddis-Wyatt, field manager in Moab. A growing number of them are getting stuck while driving on dirt roads.

Last week, a wildfire began to spread less than 20 miles south of Moab after officials said a human-created campfire was left unattended. The blaze originated in a day-use area in the U.S. Forest Service lands and had burned more than 5,100 acres by Saturday morning. Two campgrounds and a residential community were evacuated.

Arches and Canyonlands have fewer than 100 designated campsites between them, and visitors are increasingly camping out on nearby federal land, some of which isn’t intended for tourism or overnight stays.

“People could be parked right next to a sign that says ‘closed to camping’ and they’re just like, ‘But the app said it was open,’” said Ms. Gaddis-Wyatt.

The boom in visits to national and state parks—largely attributed to a widespread desire to leave home as the pandemic eases—began when most reopened last summer.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:31 PM   #2

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Thanks, we re planning to go to that area in mid September. Hopefully it will be better by then. If not we would just keep going.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:32 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I don't know.
So many people do things without knowledge. They Bandwagon and 'me too' so much they havent a clue about a 'no fires' sign because it wasn't presented in a media blurb.
Anything presented to them as narrow...they dont expound or extrapolate or interrogate. They only need the original three words to formalize an exactly correlating thought.
'The web said'.

And I don't doubt the sign thing or the fire thing .
A vernerated member here decided, last week or so, to tell us how site destruction caused by him was a cost of the camp site doing business and he'll do that destruction without regard for the next guy or cost to the site.
He seemed rational in all other respects.

The fire starter could have been vermin or venerated, clergy or cretin.
The guy parking in the no parking area might be a judge or cpa or cardinal.

A fundamental:
You have a societal obligation to be intelligent.

Not any more...and they're buying motorhomes....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:42 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
If you go in September take a look at google maps.
There is a lower road through arches. It comes from about 12 miles north of Moab through a back gate to arches and comes out at about the 3rd turnoff from the real main gate. Its dirt, but very passable(last time we used it). We saw less than three vehicles in 25 or so miles,
Also: thetes a very nice waterfall and secondary road on the south(?) of town.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:04 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Here in the NE we don't have too many NPs but lots of state parks. Some popular state parks are very crowded and nice sites (ones with views) book up months in advance.

But look around. We have found a couple (names shall be withheld to protect our access!) of state parks where nice sites with water views are available any time you drive up, but maybe not on weekends.

I am hoping this will settle down in a few years when all of the new RV owners get tired of camping.

David
Old 06-13-2021, 10:20 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We can all ride out this storm...
There are lots of places to go: you just have to know where to look.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:50 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I don't know.
So many people do things without knowledge. They Bandwagon and 'me too' so much they havent a clue about a 'no fires' sign because it wasn't presented in a media blurb.
Anything presented to them as narrow...they dont expound or extrapolate or interrogate. They only need the original three words to formalize an exactly correlating thought.
'The web said'.

And I don't doubt the sign thing or the fire thing .
A vernerated member here decided, last week or so, to tell us how site destruction caused by him was a cost of the camp site doing business and he'll do that destruction without regard for the next guy or cost to the site.
He seemed rational in all other respects.

The fire starter could have been vermin or venerated, clergy or cretin.
The guy parking in the no parking area might be a judge or cpa or cardinal.

A fundamental:
You have a societal obligation to be intelligent.

Not any more...and they're buying motorhomes....
Sadly very true
Old 06-13-2021, 10:53 PM   #8

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We can all ride out this storm...
There are lots of places to go: you just have to know where to look.
Very true,

We are hitting the lesser traveled roads and parks this year and so far it has been great

Plan on just a few shorter trips in the heat and then when it cools and school is back in session hitting the road hard and steady
Old 06-13-2021, 11:02 PM   #9

THOR #22245
We have done many short trips this year: 3 nights basically every other week since March. We live 40 minutes from Mount Hood and 2 hours from the beach. Being retired we go during the work week and so not too crowded. It has been a great RVing year so far.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:44 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Our big trip this year is to....Arches and Canyonlands LOL.

So we'll see.

We purposely picked them because they aren't Zion and Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon....sigh.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:53 PM   #11

Model: XG 32 Omni
THOR #4243
We are just sticking to our boon docking and out of the way places this year and probably next year
Old 06-14-2021, 12:05 AM   #12

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I have been a regular visitor to Moab for the past 14 years without any issues. The storyline is misleading. There are plenty of campgrounds in the area for those wanting to camp if you plan ahead and make reservations. Getting into the National Park is another story. The line that forms early is more related to the recent increase in Hotel/Motel/B&B rooms that have literally exploded in numbers in recent years causing an overwhelming increase in car traffic at the entrance gate. They have lengthened and widened the entrance gate but there is only so much space within the park to accommodate vehicle traffic.

If you are wanting to attempt the back entrance (Willow Springs Road) you should be sure it is passable as it is not really intended for normal passenger vehicles and if you get stuck it is quite expensive to get Rory or someone else local to drag you out. I'd recommend you research this entrance before attempting to use it if you are unfamiliar with it.

Much of the camping that is now considered closed was previously BLM camping and has been replaced by a large number of tent and smaller camp trailer options scattered throughout the area that is frequented by hikers and bikers.

The key to having a great visit at either Arches or Canyonlands is allowing for a flexible schedule when you want to tour either or both parks.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:11 AM   #13

THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I have been a regular visitor to Moab for the past 14 years without any issues. The storyline is misleading. There are plenty of campgrounds in the area for those wanting to camp if you plan ahead and make reservations. Getting into the National Park is another story. The line that forms early is more related to the recent increase in Hotel/Motel/B&B rooms that have literally exploded in numbers in recent years causing an overwhelming increase in car traffic at the entrance gate. They have lengthened and widened the entrance gate but there is only so much space within the park to accommodate vehicle traffic.

If you are wanting to attempt the back entrance (Willow Springs Road) you should be sure it is passable as it is not really intended for normal passenger vehicles and if you get stuck it is quite expensive to get Rory or someone else local to drag you out. I'd recommend you research this entrance before attempting to use it if you are unfamiliar with it.

Much of the camping that is now considered closed was previously BLM camping and has been replaced by a large number of tent and smaller camp trailer options scattered throughout the area that is frequented by hikers and bikers.

The key to having a great visit at either Arches or Canyonlands is allowing for a flexible schedule when you want to tour either or both parks.
Thanks for the news.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #14

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
If you go in September take a look at google maps.
There is a lower road through arches. It comes from about 12 miles north of Moab through a back gate to arches and comes out at about the 3rd turnoff from the real main gate. Its dirt, but very passable(last time we used it). We saw less than three vehicles in 25 or so miles,
Also: thetes a very nice waterfall and secondary road on the south(?) of town.
If it's what I'm thinking we took that out of Arches a couple years ago in the Jeep. We were going to do some of the side loops but we were by ourselves, getting near dark, and there is NO cell service in some areas. That dirt road crossed a couple creeks and you will need a high ground clearance vehicle. Ain't going to make it in a Prius.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #15

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
We are doing a big trip around the country this summer, including Glacier, Zion, and Grand Canyon. I wish we could go during the spring or fall when things are less crowded and less hot, but with a kid in school we have to go during peak season. I am concerned about the crowds at these places.

I got a pass for entry on the Going To The Sun Road at Glacier. And I need to get a shuttle ticket for Zion, which are only able to reserve twice a month.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:31 PM   #16

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Our big trip this year is to....Arches and Canyonlands LOL.

So we'll see.

We purposely picked them because they aren't Zion and Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon....sigh.
Be sure to visit the state park North of Moab, well worth it

If you have time the drive up the mountain SE of Moab is a nice change of pace

Moab is dog friendly for the most part
Old 06-15-2021, 03:38 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Be sure to visit the state park North of Moab, well worth it

If you have time the drive up the mountain SE of Moab is a nice change of pace

Moab is dog friendly for the most part
Which state park North of Moab?
Old 06-15-2021, 03:41 PM   #18

THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Which state park North of Moab?
arches
Old 06-15-2021, 03:50 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1623772247
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Humor 21.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	31375  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
arches
Last time I checked Arches was a National Park, not a State Park.